I think it's another one of those things Aurthur C Clark said he invented.
those make me wanna jizz in my pants
Quote by BladeSlinger
I'm about 5' 4" and have slightly furry feet.....I'm not going in a ****ing volcano though...

I love the Foo's!

GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!
Quote by restless_thrash
what use will it have?

In the future it will replace space shuttles and save a LOT of money.
Quote by EVH_5150
stairway to heaven has a solo?!?!
Quote by restless_thrash
what use will it have?

Don't tell me you've never wanted to go into space.
100 times stronger than steel or not, i see that ribbon getting chopped in half sooner or later.
"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."
-Kurt Vonnegut
Quote by restless_thrash
what use will it have?

Well, at the moment, it costs a fortune in fuel just to get a craft into space. With the space elevator, the idea is to have two elevators joined by a cable which goes over a pully that's attached to a satelite.
As one elevator goes down, the other goes up.
So theoreticaly, once the space elevator is built, we could mine asteroids and place what we get from the asteroids in one elevator which will cause it to drop. As long as the weight in the other elevator is less than the one with the results from the asteroid mining in it, it should be lifted upwards into space, taking people, parts for space ships (or even complete space ships) to be built in space, or any number of things with it.
Absolutely no fuel need be used to get into space once the system is up and running.
Wow, thats really interesting. Stuff like that amazes me!
Quote by Robb987123Bass
How do I quote someone in my sig? If you look at mine, you'll see that I've failed

██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
-raises hand- i'll buy seven.
On a scale of one to awesome...
I'm the sh!t.

Quote by mr.cheese..
GYMCLASSHERO!!!!! THANK YOU FOR LIBERATING MY TESTACLES AND PENIS!!! (at least on the weekends)!!!