I've had the crazy Idea of turning my bedroom into somewhere for me and my band to record, I'll only ever be recording a standard rock band; 2 guitars, bass, vocals and Drums which will be electronic. How would you guys go about setting up for recording this? I'm after something fairly simple and not too expensive but I want it to be worthwhile.

Cheers
Maybe get an M-audio Transit USB audio interface, small, compact, cheap, and high quality audio output. (less than 60$ cad)

Get a small mixer, maybe 5+ channels. This should be cheap too, almost a little more than the Transit, like 150$cad

Then get some mics, this is where the quality of sound is really gonna be determined, these would be used for the drums, a drum mic kit would do the trick. (200$cad) For the vocal mic, just get an SM58, industry standard for quite some time (give or take 100$cad)

For the guitars, and basses and vocals, these can go directly into the mixer via an active direct box to convert unbalanced signals to balanced signals, if the mixer you get isn't already set up to do so.

All this is gonna need cables, probably the most expensive thing... like 250$cad or more depending on quality of cable

Lastly, get a recording program, Audacity is free.
Quote by Lastin
Maybe get an M-audio Transit USB audio interface, small, compact, cheap, and high quality audio output. (less than 60$ cad)

Get a small mixer, maybe 5+ channels. This should be cheap too, almost a little more than the Transit, like 150$cad

Then get some mics, this is where the quality of sound is really gonna be determined, these would be used for the drums, a drum mic kit would do the trick. (200$cad) For the vocal mic, just get an SM58, industry standard for quite some time (give or take 100$cad)

For the guitars, and basses and vocals, these can go directly into the mixer via an active direct box to convert unbalanced signals to balanced signals, if the mixer you get isn't already set up to do so.

All this is gonna need cables, probably the most expensive thing... like 250$cad or more depending on quality of cable

Lastly, get a recording program, Audacity is free.

Thanks for the help, if the kit is electric can it also go directly into the mixer?
Quote by Ripper_66
I've had the crazy Idea of turning my bedroom into somewhere for me and my band to record, I'll only ever be recording a standard rock band; 2 guitars, bass, vocals and Drums which will be electronic. How would you guys go about setting up for recording this? I'm after something fairly simple and not too expensive but I want it to be worthwhile.

Cheers

Presonus FP10 or Firestudio project. Connect it to a computer, then connect the microphones to that.

As for recording order, do drums, then bass, then guitars, then vocals.

If the drums are electric, you could probably get away with something simpler like a Mackie Onyx Satellite or an M Audio Fasttrack since you only need two inputs.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
From their website (for the Project, the more demanding of them):

Windows
* Computer: Windows compatible computer with FireWire port.
* CPU/Clock: Pentium, Celeron with 1.6Ghz or higher
* Memory(RAM): 512 MB (1 GB recommended)
Macintosh
* OS: MacOS X 10.4.x or later (10.5 supported with driver update)
* Computer: Apple Macintosh series with on-board FireWire port.
* CPU/Clock: PowerPC G4/Dual 1 GHZ or faster, all Intel-based Mac models.
* Memory(RAM): 512 MB (1 GB recommended)
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101