Ok, so this is something i've wanted to do for a while, and i think i've got it figured out, but as i'm not totally confident with impedance, dummy loads, and lots of other electronic concepts, could i get some feed back on this amp set up. I'd like to know if it's flawed before i try to set it up.

i want to run a plexi clone at 90v through a variac, and completely crank this amp, then run that amps output through a thd hotplate (with the correct impedance for my amp, which can act as a dummy load, right?).

from the hotplate, i'd like to run the output through another plexi clone to act as a sort of power amp or something. (i realize i could just use a power amp, but i think 2 plexi's would look pretty awesome. would there be any problems running the amps in this fashion?)

i'd run the 2nd amp's output into a marshall 1960av (using the same impedance setting as my amp).

i think i could get close to an evh brown sound this way. anything i should be aware of?
i'm kind of weary of the strain that the first amp would undergo, plus evh did it so i'm naturally seduced by that. is the variac seriously pointless?
It didn't do anything for EVH's tone if that's what you mean, it would be better to run it at 110 or so just to put a little less strain on the tubes.
Quote by Horlicks
It didn't do anything for EVH's tone if that's what you mean, it would be better to run it at 110 or so just to put a little less strain on the tubes.

i think i might like to do that then. is there anything else in the setup i should be worried about?
If you can afford it, check out the mojave scorpion, it's meant to be the ''brown sound'' in a box. Riffhog has one and he has a perfecct EVH tone.
Quote by kerpan
Ok, so this is something i've wanted to do for a while, and i think i've got it figured out, but as i'm not totally confident with impedance, dummy loads, and lots of other electronic concepts, could i get some feed back on this amp set up. I'd like to know if it's flawed before i try to set it up.

i want to run a plexi clone at 90v through a variac, and completely crank this amp, then run that amps output through a thd hotplate (with the correct impedance for my amp, which can act as a dummy load, right?).

from the hotplate, i'd like to run the output through another plexi clone to act as a sort of power amp or something. (i realize i could just use a power amp, but i think 2 plexi's would look pretty awesome. would there be any problems running the amps in this fashion?)

i'd run the 2nd amp's output into a marshall 1960av (using the same impedance setting as my amp).

i think i could get close to an evh brown sound this way. anything i should be aware of?

What's the point in running into another plexi? It might"look" awesome but that's not the issue here, you want it to sound good. The whole point of Eddie's setup was to take the pure distorted tone from the plexi and then connect his effects between the plexi and power amp so there was nothing between the guitar and amp to screw with the tone. You use a power amp becase you've already got your tone by this point, all you're doing is making it louder, another plexi would be pointless and completely defeats the object.

Like Horlicks said, the Variac isn't particularly important.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i'll check it out, but half of the appeal of my setup, is the fact that i think plexi's look badass. i'll check the mojave though.
Quote by kerpan
i'll check it out, but half of the appeal of my setup, is the fact that i think plexi's look badass. i'll check the mojave though.

If that's your main concern then just plug your guitar into a full-scale model of Optimus Prime
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
What's the point in running into another plexi? It might"look" awesome but that's not the issue here, you want it to sound good. The whole point of Eddie's setup was to take the pure distorted tone from the plexi and then connect his effects between the plexi and power amp so there was nothing between the guitar and amp to screw with the tone. You use a power amp becase you've already got your tone by this point, all you're doing is making it louder, another plexi would be pointless and completely defeats the object.

Like Horlicks said, the Variac isn't particularly important.

thanks, i understand the second plexi is redundant, but that doesn't bother me too much. i am concerned as to whether the second plexi's preamp will mess up the tone of the first. i realize my setup is somewhat pointless, but would it work?
Quote by steven seagull
If that's your main concern then just plug your guitar into a full-scale model of Optimus Prime

how much and where can i buy?

actually nevermind the cost.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by kerpan
thanks, i understand the second plexi is redundant, but that doesn't bother me too much. i am concerned as to whether the second plexi's preamp will mess up the tone of the first. i realize my setup is somewhat pointless, but would it work?

Of course it will screw up the tone, that's why you just want a power amp. The main reason Eddie set up the way he did was to ensure the raw plexi tone didn't get arsed about by having too much crap in the signal chain - it's almost a way of replicating studio post-processing live.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Of course it will screw up the tone, that's why you just want a power amp. The main reason Eddie set up the way he did was to ensure the raw plexi tone didn't get arsed about by having too much crap in the signal chain - it's almost a way of replicating studio post-processing live.

ok thanks, i know how he ran effects after the plexi so the time based effects didn't get screwed up, and i wasn't sure how a second amp would mess with the tone. it still doesn't really bother me to have the first amp slave out into the second, but you bring up some very good points.
Quote by kerpan
ok thanks, i know how he ran effects after the plexi so the time based effects didn't get screwed up, and i wasn't sure how a second amp would mess with the tone. it still doesn't really bother me to have the first amp slave out into the second, but you bring up some very good points.

Thinking about it, a more relevant issue is whether a plexi even has a line in.

Also, bear in mind that VH1 was pretty much a watershed as far as tone goes. Part of the reason Eddie did what he did was because there simply wasn't an amp available with enough gain or a suitable voicing to do what he wanted out of the box...amp technology has come a long way in 30 years.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Thinking about it, a more relevant issue is whether a plexi even has a line in.

Also, bear in mind that VH1 was pretty much a watershed as far as tone goes. Part of the reason Eddie did what he did was because there simply wasn't an amp available with enough gain or a suitable voicing to do what he wanted out of the box...amp technology has come a long way in 30 years.

that's a very good point, but even playing a 5150 or 6505, or even the new 5150III seems to lack the tone. another thing is, i'm not really as concerned with an evh tone, as just tube overdrive. honestly my best bet would be to just run the first amp through the hotplate, acting as an attenuator and cut the second amp out of the equation. i could then wire in an fx loop and i'd prolly be fine. but idk, i enjoy all the pointless, ass backwards, signal chaining.
Quote by kerpan
that's a very good point, but even playing a 5150 or 6505, or even the new 5150III seems to lack the tone. another thing is, i'm not really as concerned with an evh tone, as just tube overdrive. honestly my best bet would be to just run the first amp through the hotplate, acting as an attenuator and cut the second amp out of the equation. i could then wire in an fx loop and i'd prolly be fine. but idk, i enjoy all the pointless, ass backwards, signal chaining.

scratch that, my best bet would be to get a low wattage tube amp, like a tiny terror or an epiphone valve jr. but i still prefer my idiotic set up.
Quote by Horlicks
^ Mojave scorpion can change from 5-50 watts and anywhere in between

yea, the mojave looked amazing, thanks for the advice, it seems like a pretty solid investment once i get that cash together.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
how much and where can i buy?

actually nevermind the cost.

I disagree with the Variac not affecting his tone. Didn't it act like an attenuator and saturate the amp more?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover

I disagree with the Variac not affecting his tone. Didn't it act like an attenuator and saturate the amp more?

well idk about saturation, i mean you're basically lowering the amount of power going into the amp, but i don't really have a complete grasp on valve amplification
Actually here are a few fact things known about Eddie's rig:
Variac: the Variac was to make sure you saved the life of the tubes and it actualy cleaned up the tone a bit. It's not very important for you though, espeically since it can hurt the amp.

Hotplate as a dummy load is a waste of money since they cost a lot and if you just want a dummy load you can buy one or even just build one, since they are VERY simple.

Secondly the reason he ran the dummy load was as Seagull said for effects, it was actually just like an efects loop (effects going in between the pre and power amp). Secondly he ran it into a solid state power amp, not another Plexi.

The Mojave is good, I'd get one of those.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Running an amp at the wrong voltage is a good way to destroy it. Unless you've got the resources (like EVH did) for frequent repairs and/or replacements, I wouldn't recommend it.