So I've been thinking about interfaces lately, and originally I was planning on getting a Toneport UX2, but I've noticed that many people on here say that they are not perfect.

I've decided that I'm gonna go firewire.

But I don't know anything about interfaces really, so can you recommend me a good one?

I'm looking to record acoustic and electric guitar, bass, vox/harmonica. My budget is $350 max.

Thanks in advance.
Presonus 1394, $120 for B-stock: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Inspire1394B/

Mackie Onyx Satellite: $170

You only need one or two (if you use two microphones for the acoustic) inputs. If you have the input on your computer, go right ahead, but a USB interface (like the UX2) will suit you fine...just get a nicer brand like M Audio.

Now, spend the rest of your money on solid microphones. Electronic Musician's latest article has $100 Large Condenser microphones for voice work...I recommend reading it.

Or, you could try getting an SM57 for guitar and bass, and this microphone for the rest. It'll be a bit over budget when you factor in microphone cords, stands, and closed headphones...Sennheiser HD202's are quite cheap and good, but you'll be happy for a long time. The Samson is probably the closest in your budget range to a Rode NT2-A in clarity and versatility.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at May 3, 2008,
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Presonus 1394, $120 for B-stock: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Inspire1394B/

Mackie Onyx Satellite: $170

The Presonus looks good, the Mackie looks pretty complex... I'm just beginning to record digitally, which do you recommend for a complete beginner?
You only need one or two (if you use two microphones for the acoustic) inputs. If you have the input on your computer, go right ahead, but a USB interface (like the UX2) will suit you fine...just get a nicer brand like M Audio.

I'd prefer to have two mic inputs so that I can use two mics to record acoustic.
Now, spend the rest of your money on solid microphones. Electronic Musician's latest article has $100 Large Condenser microphones for voice work...I recommend reading it.
Or, you could try getting an SM57 for guitar and bass, and this microphone for the rest. It'll be a bit over budget when you factor in microphone cords, stands, and closed headphones...Sennheiser HD202's are quite cheap and good, but you'll be happy for a long time. The Samson is probably the closest in your budget range to a Rode NT2-A in clarity and versatility.

I already have an SM57 and a mic I got at a garage sale that's fairly decent, but I think its meant as a performance mic. I'll look more into a mic like that Samson further down the road. I used the SM57 for analog vox and it worked well enough for my purposes.

Thanks for all the info so far.
Quote by heaven's gate
The Presonus looks good, the Mackie looks pretty complex... I'm just beginning to record digitally, which do you recommend for a complete beginner?

Both will work exactly as you'd want them to, and are really easy (you just don't use the extra features of the Mackie...while its preamps are killer). They'd work for beginners.

Quote by heaven's gate
I'd prefer to have two mic inputs so that I can use two mics to record acoustic.

Thought you would. Both of these would work. Do you plan on getting a matched pair of microphones to record the acoustic? Samson's CO2 is $120, and Behringer has a pair that isn't half-bad (though for some reason the guy keeps ripping on them) that's around $50 or so.

Quote by heaven's gate
I already have an SM57 and a mic I got at a garage sale that's fairly decent, but I think its meant as a performance mic. I'll look more into a mic like that Samson further down the road. I used the SM57 for analog vox and it worked well enough for my purposes.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Great. Then stay with your SM57. Some people like the broader and more sensitive frequency response of condensers for their voice, that's all.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101