Page 1 of 2
Okay so I posted a thread asking what an easy-ish All That Remains song is, and I thought it was Death Metal but apparently it's Metalcore.

The metal I usually listen to is the old stuff like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. Sometimes Slayer too. I recently got into bands like
At The Gates, All That Remains, Shadows Fall, Five Finger Death Punch, Slipknot , SOAD (both nu metal)

But I just don't know what it's called, all I know is that its a form of metal.
How do you tell what type of metal a band is? Y'know, acid, speed, death, post-metal, nu-metal, thrash, etc.
I am The Great Cornholio !
I need T.P. for my bunghole !
what exactly are you asking?
My You'll be the Baddest Dude in Revere!

My Gear:
-Fender Mexican Stratocaster
-Silvertone Paul Stanley Signature Acoustic
-Fender Princeton 65w
-DOD Death Metal
Acid - Never heard of that, I'm pretty sure its made up

Speed - Like thrash but softer

Death - Grunting vocals, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Necrophagist, Death

Post-Metal - Some crappy name for Pantera-esque metal I think

Nu Metal - Limp Bizkit, Korn and so on

Thrash - Slayer, Metallica, Kreator etc.

Although hardcore is very different, so wrong board.
acid was a name for bands like Ozzy in the early 80s
its not used anymore

My Gear:
-Fender Princeton 65w
-DOD Death Metal
Metalcore is a mixture of metal and hardcore punk last I heard.

Although most metalcore bands hardly have any hardcore punk influence...the only ones I can think of at the moment are A7X and Atreyu.
Quote by Thebiz

Although most metalcore bands hardly have any hardcore punk influence...the only ones I can think of at the moment are A7X and Atreyu.

lol
Quote by Thebiz
Metalcore is a mixture of metal and hardcore punk last I heard.

what? are those the ones you think have hardcore punk influence or just the metalcore bands you can think of? they aren't even what most people consider metalcore although they do have metalcore influence.
Wikipedia has some pretty good descriptions of all the different metal subgenres.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Quote by metal4life592
Wikipedia has some pretty good descriptions of all the different metal subgenres.

Quote by Wikipedia
Trivium is a heavy metal band

^ Wikipedia is utter turd for metal.
they aren't metalcore

metalcore = bands like Integrity, Botch, Converge
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
Quote by UncleCthulhu

Good point. I mainly meant that Wikipedia has good descriptions for the different subgenres, not necessarily the bands themselves.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Best way to differentiate is by listening to bands labeled with the said subgenre you are looking to learn about.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
Quote by Wattso
Acid - Never heard of that, I'm pretty sure its made up

Speed - Like thrash but softer

Death - Grunting vocals, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Necrophagist, Death

Post-Metal - Some crappy name for Pantera-esque metal I think

Nu Metal - Limp Bizkit, Korn and so on

Thrash - Slayer, Metallica, Kreator etc.

Although hardcore is very different, so wrong board.

Fail, Pantera were like groove metal...post metal my ass.
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
post metal is stuff like Isis, Jesu, Pelican...
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
Quote by Mistaa Man
How do you tell what type of metal a band is?

Go to the metal forum, and go to the rec thread. It gives a lot of good descriptions of the different sub-genres.
i got confused by the difference between metalcore and death metal as well. but if you go ahead and listen to death metal bands like at the gates, carcass, cannibal corpse. then you'll know its different
Quote by recklessnick
i got confused by the difference between metalcore and death metal as well. but if you go ahead and listen to death metal bands like at the gates, carcass, cannibal corpse. then you'll know its different

Dude, you're still confused.

Carcass, ATG = Melodic Death Metal

Cannibal Corpse = Death Metal.

And yes there's heaps of metalcore that sounds like ATG/Carcass.
Quote by Perpetual Burn
Fail, Pantera were like groove metal...post metal my ass.

yea, i think he knows that

he was explaining that post-metal is a lame attempt at classifying bands like Pantera or other things from the 90s that wasnt nu metal)

My Gear:
-Fender Princeton 65w
-DOD Death Metal
Yeah man, its a type of DM, but very different. Its like saying black and death metal are the same thing - there are differences.

Melodic Death is different to Death Metal. Your post made it sound like those bands are similar or from the same genre, and they're not.
Ya I wanted to clearup that your totally wrong about post-metal being Pantera-esque stuff....wayyyyyyyy off....

post-metal is the heavier "metal" version of post-rock...Isis, Neurosis, Pelican, Jesu, Cult of Luna, all that stuff. Isis is pretty much the prime example of that music.
Quote by UncleCthulhu

But Trivium are a crappy metal band nowadays. That's right, not our f*ckin' problem anymore. And take Lamb of God back too. Damn heshers trying to lump crappy metal into hardcore. *grumblegrumblegrumble*
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by zayG
post metal is stuff like Isis, Jesu, Pelican...

THANK YOU.

rofl pantera.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by Selkies921
Ya I wanted to clearup that your totally wrong about post-metal being Pantera-esque stuff....wayyyyyyyy off....

post-metal is the heavier "metal" version of post-rock...Isis, Neurosis, Pelican, Jesu, Cult of Luna, all that stuff. Isis is pretty much the prime example of that music.

thank you to you too.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by STABxYOU
But Trivium are a crappy metal band nowadays. That's right, not our f*ckin' problem anymore. And take Lamb of God back too. Damn heshers trying to lump crappy metal into hardcore. *grumblegrumblegrumble*

+1 man, I hate metal classification that goes beyond one subgenre. Like WTF is groove metal? Sounds like a tool that some Southern bumpkin would use for hygienic purposes.
last.fm[/url}
Quote by Mistaa Man
Okay so I posted a thread asking what an easy-ish All That Remains song is, and I thought it was Death Metal but apparently it's Metalcore.

The metal I usually listen to is the old stuff like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. Sometimes Slayer too. I recently got into bands like
At The Gates, All That Remains, Shadows Fall, Five Finger Death Punch, Slipknot , SOAD (both nu metal)

But I just don't know what it's called, all I know is that its a form of metal.
How do you tell what type of metal a band is? Y'know, acid, speed, death, post-metal, nu-metal, thrash, etc.

Acid metal - nonexistant

Speed - trad metal about twice as fast. examples are exciter and razor. no it is not SOFTER than thrash
death - fast, downtuned, guttural vocals (usually) can be broken up into
Swedish (boring) eg Carnage, Dismember
NYDM (good) eg Incantation, Immolation
Brutal (usually boring) eg Hate Eternal (good) and Cannibal Corpse (bad)
which can be broken up further into slam death (bad) eg devourement
Tech (usually boring) often overlaps with brutal, eg Cryptopsy, Necrophagist
Floridan (straight-up dm) eg Morbid Angel, Deicide
post-metal, like post-rock but metal eg Isis, Pelican
nu-metal, this is alt. rock not metal
thrash is like speed metal but faster chord changes and a greater use of the bottom string eg Overkill, Dark Angel
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
^ Good on ya MHDrunk... you prick...

Yeah, TS, if you wanna learn about metal, cross the border. The metal forum will explain it for ya.

Just don't make a thread about it. Go to the metal rec thread
Quote by MHDrunk
Acid metal - nonexistant

Speed - trad metal about twice as fast. examples are exciter and razor. no it is not SOFTER than thrash
nu-metal, this is alt. rock not metal
thrash is like speed metal but faster chord changes and a greater use of the bottom string eg Overkill, Dark Angel

Thrash metal = speed metal + thrash(core). Speed metal bands ripping off hardcore punk style rhythm guitars.

Speed metal = well, pretty much what you got there. And as time went on it pretty much split into thrash metal, power metal and shred.

Nu Metal = Alt Metal + Groove Metal + occassional weirdness. Basically it fence sits between metal and alternative but doesn't fit too well within either. Too bombastic and showy and fashion/image oriented to be alternative rock, too simple and angsty to be metal.

Quote by HelpTravesty
+1 man, I hate metal classification that goes beyond one subgenre. Like WTF is groove metal? Sounds like a tool that some Southern bumpkin would use for hygienic purposes.

Sorry ****stain, you missed my point. I like subgenres. And Lamb of God and Trivium's proper subgenre is cheesemetal. Now gtfo.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at May 5, 2008,
Quote by STABxYOU

Sorry ****stain, you missed my point. I like subgenres. And Lamb of God and Trivium's proper subgenre is cheesemetal. Now gtfo.

Why the harsh words? Thats the thing that gets me. When we're talking about hardcore, everyone seems civil. When metal comes into the mix it becomes a ****ing war.

Those bands suck anyway, proper classification is GAY. If I missed the point, whatever.
last.fm[/url}
Page 1 of 2