I need a distortion box, and I have decided between the Metal Muff and Graphic Fuzz (both from EHX). While the youtube demo have shown that Metal Muff is very... metal (sound very pantera-ish), I am wondering if Graphic Fuzz could also do the same Metal distortion due to the combination of a graphic EQ with a distortion pedal.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at May 3, 2008,
i'm not a huge fan of the metal muff. the other guitarist in my band has one, but it is a better choice compared to the graphic fuzz.
Quote by HeavyMetalHokie
yeah, metal muff. its an awesome pedal and i dont think you can get great distortion with EQ alone

Well, it's not EQ alone. according to EHX, it is a merge of graphic EQ with a fuzz pedal.

The thing is that I want to be able to use it with both my Blues Junior AND my PowerBlock.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by Jestersage
Well, it's not EQ alone. according to EHX, it is a merge of graphic EQ with a fuzz pedal.

The thing is that I want to be able to use it with both my Blues Junior AND my PowerBlock.

According to your first post, you wanted metal distortion. A fuzz is a completely different beast. You won't get chugga-chugga with a fuzz.
Okay... what's the difference between distortion and fuzz? I know the difference between overdrive and distortion.. but fuzz...?

And this is all that I know of graphic fuzz on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2sJFPXUfRQ
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by Jestersage
Okay... what's the difference between distortion and fuzz? I know the difference between overdrive and distortion.. but fuzz...?

And this is all that I know of graphic fuzz on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2sJFPXUfRQ

Fuzz is like distortion, but distortion's tighter, and fuzz is looser. Also, fuzz is very responsive to volume. Hendrix's dirty tone was a fuzz pedal, so listen to him for a bit. An example of a guitarist using distortion would be Kurt Cobain.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Okay, I had looked over the comments on harmony central, and basically it seems like:
Metal Muff: excellent for metal, especially pantera style.
Graphic Fuzz: Appearently is more of distortion than fuzz; A wide range of music, but require tinkering.

Since I am more of a fusion (lean toward metal but also enjoy plenty other stuff), I think I will get graphic fuzz instead. I am also more of a control freak, too.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by Jestersage
Okay, I had looked over the comments on harmony central, and basically it seems like:
Metal Muff: excellent for metal, especially pantera style.
Graphic Fuzz: Appearently is more of distortion than fuzz; A wide range of music, but require tinkering.

Since I am more of a fusion (lean toward metal but also enjoy plenty other stuff), I think I will get graphic fuzz instead. I am also more of a control freak, too.

Nooo, Metal Muff, by f'ing around with the top boost and dist. you can get some pretty fuzzy tones, and the EQ is mad sensitive.