i am 16 years old and ive been playing guitar for a little over 5 years and have been stuck with the junky Fender Squier amp i got in my strat pack when i first started. i really need to ungrade to something bigger and better because im looking to start a small local band in my town. currently my main guitar is an Epipohone Les Paul Standard. i play moslty rock, and i was wondering what would be a good amp that is under $600. two options i thought of were the Marshall MG half stack which i heard is **** or the cheaper Fender 2x12. just trying get some opinions
600$ means youre pretty much stuck with solidstate amps, which is fine i guess. I have a line 6 spider 3 halfstack, which works fine, i can get some pretty good tone, and there's lots to play around with. it was a bout 650$ new, so i'd check that out. i have a marshall mg30 which is similar to the halfstack, and it sounds pretty good. If it's an option, i'd say save up till you can get like a peavey valve king, but it really depends on what kind of music you play.
i'd suggest one of the vox valvetronix amps
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD100VT-100W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482623
it may be modeling, but it can get some great sounds. if you get the foot pedal, it wont be so much of a pain in the ass to go switching the sounds, too.
and if you were to get that, there's a refurb for 100 bucks cheaper
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD100VT-100W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482623V
Quote by kerpan
600$ means youre pretty much stuck with solidstate amps, which is fine i guess. I have a line 6 spider 3 halfstack, which works fine, i can get some pretty good tone, and there's lots to play around with. it was a bout 650$ new, so i'd check that out. i have a marshall mg30 which is similar to the halfstack, and it sounds pretty good. If it's an option, i'd say save up till you can get like a peavey valve king, but it really depends on what kind of music you play.

a ****load of good tube amps are around 600.
IE 5150 used or a classic 30
Quote by natel0083
a ****load of good tube amps are around 600.
IE 5150 used or a classic 30

very true, good point.
also check out that bugera 5150 clone. (i think its called like a 6260 or 6262)
i heard its pretty good.
for $600, you can probably get something good thats been used, so check ebay or craigslist. I found a Blue Voodoo 100 W half stack for $500 by me.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Dont buy an MG halfstack they suck and i wouldnt reccommend the Fender 2x12 I would go with a tube amp for sure maybe the Peavey Classic 30.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
i also have a old school peavey 30W amp thats a POS..but i might be able to sell it used for under $50. i have a digitech rp150 effects pedal that i just **** around on. and i think my budget might be dropping to under $500.
600$ can mean for example a VK too...
It's rocks!
It's a bit dark...that's why I use a pedal for punk rock...
but anyway...it rocks!
I got mine for 500€....it's 212...but even if € is worth more than$ in USA they sell them for 500$ anyway...or you can get a 112 that is about 430$ I think...
and it's ALL TUBE!
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
You can get some goo amps in your price range with a bit of pateince and searching contrary to what kerpan said.

My first recomendation would be a B-52 AT Series amp. The 2x12 combo runs 700 new i think, Head is 600 bucks, cab is 400, 1x12 combo is 400ish? I'd recomend the 2x12 or stack the most because it has more features than the 1x12, the 60 watt 1x12 combo is more than enough to play any gig. Except maybe a football stadium. They sound amazing, very versatile and great cleans. I've got a B-52 AT100 head on a b-52 LS412 cabinet. Costed me 670 shipping included i think. Bought the head used, and cab new.

You could also look at:
Peavey Classic 30 or 50-Think classic rock
Peavey 5150 - Hardcore, heavy metal
Peavey Valeking - Midgain, I'd suggest a 5150 or Classic 30 over these.
You also might be able to get some type of Marshall combo around 600 if your lucky.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Quote by Kozlic
It's rocks!
but anyway...it rocks!
I got mine for 500€....it's 212...but even if € is worth more than$ in USA they sell them for 500$ anyway...or you can get a 112 that is about 430$ I think...
and it's ALL TUBE!

i agree, valveking is sexy!
whats the reasons behind the MG's sucking so bad....i not into all the techinical talk about amps so but it in retard terms please
plus this purchase will probly have to last me all throughout my guitar playing days because im not the richest person in the world...so i really wanna make sure i get this desicion right
Because MGs are solid state amps, and things like the B-52 or the Valveking are tube amps.

You can almost always assume a tube amp is better than a solid state amp. Tube amps are also over twice as loud as solid state amps of the same wattage. So a 50 watt tube amp will probably be louder than 100 watt solid state amp.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Ungoldy bad tone, plus the amp depends on what type of rock you play. If anything less than metal the classic 30 or 50 would own, or a crate palamino. If metal then id go for the 5150, Valveking (to an extent), Randall rg50tc, or the B-52.
so....
-Peavey Classic 30
-Valveking
-Vox Valvetronix
-B-52 AT Series

alright thanks for all the help i guess...im gunna have to go to guitar center and try these out now...
Did i miss the post where you gave us your style of music? That is one of the most important things we could know to give good suggestions.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
yeah i said it in the first post...mostly rock...with a little bit of classic rock on the side
If you look used, you can probably find a nice Marshall JCM800 combo or maybe a Mesa F30. It might take more time and some luck to find a good one, but it would be better than the MG.
Gear:
70s Gibson ES-335
Fender MIM Strat
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Mesa Express 5:50
Fender NOS Blues Junior
Line 6 PodXT Live
^Ah, okay, sorry about that. You really have a lot of options in that range. You could get a used Peavey Classic 30 for half your budget, leaving you PLENTY of money to upgrade the tubes, speaker, etc or get an OD pedal if it isn't heavy enough for you.

You could also look into a Traynor YVC50BLUE used if you're looking for that marshall sound.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Kozlic
It's rocks!
but anyway...it rocks!
and it's ALL TUBE!

which pedal do you use for punk?
Quote by AJS19
yeah im thinking that the JCM might be a little outside my price range...

If your real lucky you could find one used.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^Ah, okay, sorry about that. You really have a lot of options in that range. You could get a used Peavey Classic 30 for half your budget, leaving you PLENTY of money to upgrade the tubes, speaker, etc or get an OD pedal if it isn't heavy enough for you.

You could also look into a Traynor YVC50BLUE used if you're looking for that marshall sound.

yeah the used peavey might be a possibillity..how much does 30W of tube power = in ss power?
Quote by AJS19
yeah the used peavey might be a possibillity..how much does 30W of tube power = in ss power?

Tube power and solid state power in watts, remains the same.
Although, the general consensus is that, in volume, 1 tube watt = 3 ss watts.

So, 30 watts tube = about 90 watts SS.

I think that's what you meant .
Last edited by DiMeTiMe at May 3, 2008,
probably 100 watts solid state at least
most likely louder than that
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
The factor is 2.5, so 30watt tube is equivalent to 75watt SS.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Tube power and solid state power in watts, remains the same.
Although, the general consensus is that, in volume, 1 tube watt = 3 ss watts.

So, 30 watts tube = about 90 watts SS.

I think that's what you meant .

yeah thats what i meant...:P
Its not that the wattage is different between tube and solid state, its the perceived volume. Tubes have much richer sound because of added harmonics; etc. So even if you have a tube and SS amp pushing the same amount of decibels, the tube amp will sound almost 3 times as loud because it sounds so much thicker.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge