Once one of my old lecturers showed us a long number which displayed which chords sound good together

thats it but its actually a real number not just me mashing the number keys!

i hope you know what i mean im awful at explaining these things. i would like to have this number memorised though, even though its pretty long.
-Do you have a question?
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
yeah, it was a long number, like a phone number, and they all fit together.
im assuming its a pregression of chords, ive seen someone tlkn about it before on here, i just dont know about it or hwere i saw it
Quote by Grouch
Once one of my old lecturers showed us a long number which displayed which chords sound good together

i hope you know what i mean im awful at explaining these things. i would like to have this number memorised though, even though its pretty long.

if you have your guitar, play-
C - Em - G7 - F - Em - Dm7 - G - Dm - Cmaj7 - Em7 - G7 - Bm7b5

if that sounds good, then you have your solution
you mean different intervals within chords?
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
Quote by branny1982
if you have your guitar, play-
C - Em - G7 - F - Em - Dm7 - G - Dm - Cmaj7 - Em7 - G7 - Bm7b5

if that sounds good, then you have your solution

can you elaborate please?
That doesn't sound bad, but there is no form of voice leading, resolution or anything that would make it sound interesting in it...

Must have the wrong number. Try the phone book. [/cheesy]
Oh yeah sorry i didnt look at that properly. of course that is all the chords in C major, i know all of em, its just progressions and **** that im not good on (i guess)
it's a progression like 1 4 5 ina key

in the key of C

CMAJ Dmin Emin FMAJ GMAJ Amin Bdimi0
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

so a 1 4 5 in C would be

CMAJ FMAJ GMAJ
song stuck in my head today

Quote by branny1982
he actually said the exact opposite of what you just wrote.

No, you just failed to comprehend what he said.
Liam.

Who called you into this thread?

TS, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of some really long Co5 progression.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Grouch

So, in hindsight, it could mean either.
This is the reason correct punctuation was installed into the English language.

TS - do you a) want to understand why the number you posted is significant, or b) want the magic number and you just posted a keypad mash to make it harder to understand?
Grouch said
1354325213577 thats it...not just me mashing the number keys

Then Quinny said
he said he just "mashed the keys"

Then Branny said
he actually said the exact opposite of what you just wrote

Then Liam said
No, you just failed to comprehend what he said

Now let's just all remind ourselves what Grouch said
1354325213577 thats it
He affirms that the number he typed is the number that the teacher taught him
not just me mashing the number keys
He also denies that he was just mashing the number keys.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Grouch said

Then Quinny said

Then Branny said

Then Liam said

He affirms that the number he typed is the number that the teacher taught himHe also denies that he was just mashing the number keys.

That's what she said.
Just tried it and it kinda works for me for three-chord progressions using "5" chords in a four bar phrase (play the third chord twice). In the key of Gmajor...1-3-5 is G5-B5-D5-D5. In the same key start your three-chord progression anywhere else within that long number say...4-3-2 you have C5-B5-A5-A5. 3-2-5 would be B5-A5-D5-D5 etc. (2-5-2) (3-5-4). Not sure if that's what was intended (the double 7s at the end don't seem to work for me) but it's interesting.
Quote by ouchies
No, its not a circle progression of any sort.

oh, i didn't know that number was the real number. oops.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Grouch said

Then Quinny said

Then Branny said

Then Liam said

He affirms that the number he typed is the number that the teacher taught himHe also denies that he was just mashing the number keys.

No i wrote it, i know what i meant. You just read it wrong, probably emphasis on the wrong words or something, its only text. but yeah the number i put was me mashing the keys, thats just to give the idea of the length. Anyway i dont think any of you really know, but cheers youve given me good tips guys!
Quote by Grouch
No i wrote it, i know what i meant. You just read it wrong, probably emphasis on the wrong words or something, its only text. but yeah the number i put was me mashing the keys, thats just to give the idea of the length. Anyway i dont think any of you really know, but cheers youve given me good tips guys!

-I've reread your first post several times to understand it and it does say that that number isn't something you [TS] imaginated.

Yes, It's just text but obviously the order of words give different meaning.

Anyway, could you tell us anything else about it?

I dont think you lot know it, youve helped me anyway. I think i know more theory than some of you think though, its just progressions and stuff that i dont fully understand. My old lecturer definitely wrote out a long number that helps you know what chords sound good together though. Ill find it one day!

And cheers grammer *****s that discussion WASNT completely pointless!!!

Quote by Grouch
I dont think you lot know it, youve helped me anyway. I think i know more theory than some of you think though, its just progressions and stuff that i dont fully understand. My old lecturer definitely wrote out a long number that helps you know what chords sound good together though. Ill find it one day!

And cheers grammer *****s that discussion WASN'T completely pointless!!!

Fixed

Sorry, had to do that, a post about grammar *****es with a grammatical error cracks me up, almost as much as a grammar ***** making a grammatical error.
Anyway, on a similar track there is a chart floating around here somewhere of the normative progressions... it's not a random long number like you're looking for, but it does show what chords work well in a sequence.
Quote by Grouch

And cheers grammer *****s that discussion WASNT completely pointless!!!

-Hmmm, could he have meant this number(s) ?

Quote by Der Bomber
-Hmmm, could he have meant this number(s) ?

Fraid not, i dont think any of you know. its ok though.