i was just about to order a fretboard radius beam from stewmac, until i saw the 100$+ price tag.... wtf?

i made them on my CnC for like, 3 dollars each (rock-maple prices).

What else could i make to save dough on?
-Shell inlays.

-The recess for said inlays.

-Carved tops (semi-rough shapes).

-Necks (rough shape).

-Bodies.

-Et cetera.
You could do tons and tons of things with your CNC goodness..... gah i wish a had one.
Is it wrong to be strong.... You decide.
what kinda cnc you have?
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
CnC is cheating i think, but i know i wish i had one and i know i would use it to cheat
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
im using a CNC at the local high school to cut out the f-hole and pickup routs on my tele - might be cheating, but it works like nobodies business!
Quote by t heff
CnC is cheating i think, but i know i wish i had one and i know i would use it to cheat

Its kind of cheating but I think its better than homemade as long as stuff isnt being mass produced. If you have a specific piece of wood that you selected (like you would if you were handmaking something) and are completely taking care of it after the CNC stage its better than handmade. More precise measurements and cuts within like .005 inches. However some people would say its those little blemishes that always seem to occur when handmaking something that makes it so great.
Is it wrong to be strong.... You decide.
i dont like to CnC make my guitars, i will do the neckpocket/ bridge placement for my guitars just to make them uniform, but pickup placement and neck design/shaping/radiusing i do all by hand. whats a "custom" guitar without a custom feel/playability? a body is just a body. the neck is where its at.
^ LP... what kinda cnc you have?

CNC is not cheating at anything... trust me there's a lot involved in setting up/programming a cnc... maybe not a 3 axis mill or router but trust me... i program 5-12 axis CNC machines for a living... when you have all of those moving parts flying around at lightning fast speeds you better be on the ball...

i'm looking into a little digirout cnc router for my basement... build yourself kit for like $2500 usd

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Ha, I want a radius block for $3... I'm hoping to find someone here in the UK making then cheaply.

How come they're so expensive anyway?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Luthiers Mercantile International sells wooden radius blocks for like $10 each.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
yeah, but i needed a radius BEAM, 18'' long. radius blocks are 8'' long, which i am setting up to make now also, and also a little fret-radiusing machine that i built by hand awile ago.

OH! i have a shopbot, and i program it with rhino.
Quote by loonyguitarist
Ha, I want a radius block for $3... I'm hoping to find someone here in the UK making then cheaply.

How come they're so expensive anyway?

David Dyke sells them for like, £13 :\
Ah, haven't looked there for a while, thanks
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
I just sold a CNC machine, but the guy who bought it is being critical... and he doesn't relize the amount of adjustments needed to be done when you transport any machine. But if it comes back, it's for sale for a grand! lol

I never thought of doing guitar stuff. If he does bring it back, I'll probably start doing some stuff for you guys possibly!
yeah, id love to take cater to the UG once i get it all down correctly. I really want to start making some pickups, damn pickup winder is like 300 dollars, really expensive. i think i might build one of those too, out of an old sewing machine.
^ LP, I'm making mine out of a 12 dollar variable speed and drill bolted to a board with an arbor mounted in the chuck with a magnetic reed switch connected via serial cable to my computer.

check out my build and you'll see the pics of what I have so far... all i have to do is drill some holes in the board and make 2 little hold downs and it'll be done... sewing machines are SO hard to find :\

ive got two sewing machines! =]

i was thinking just clocking the RPMs of the engine, and doing some math... if it does this many in one minute.. i need to hold it for x minutes... you know, im a simple man.