I've been meaning to get a new #1, partly so that I can mod my Squier Tele to all hell without too much fears. After looking around the net, as well as artists I listen to, I've pretty much got my heart set on a Jazzmaster.

Now, I have heard that in many accounts, Fender Japan is almost on par with U.S.-made Fenders, which is good for me, since there are stores selling CIJs here, but no MIAs. I have heard, though, that the CIJ Jazzmaster's pickups are quite different from the American, being much brighter and more strat-like.

My question is this:
Is the CIJ Jazzmaster tone significantly different? Is it just as far from the Jazzmaster tone as, say, a Tele?

If they are, what would be a good set of replacement pickups, and will it be an easy switch?

Thanks.
I have no first hand knowledge, but I've seen many people who swear by their CIJ Jazzys. You probably won't get too many responses on UG, I suggest you try out both guitars if possible.
My Last.Fm

Gear:
1994 MIJ Fender Jaguar
Vox V847-A Wah
ProCo Rat
EHX Small Clone
Epiphone Valve Junior
I've heard that CIJ jazzys have strat-like single coils inside soapbars, so they sound different of course.
Quote by steven seagull
I hate to say it, but chances are the only thing good about that amp is the fact that the name looks a lot like the word "laser"...

Check out my band!
Quote by CoBasCis
I have no first hand knowledge, but I've seen many people who swear by their CIJ Jazzys. You probably won't get too many responses on UG, I suggest you try out both guitars if possible.

I know, it's ironic how I've been giving that advice for years, and now here I am.
Eventually, I will make sure to try out the guitar before buying it. It would just be easier if I had a better idea of what I was getting into beforehand. It's hard to find Fenders where I am.