like i heard people say blue steels dean markley wear frets in no time at all... also heard d'addario exl120's practically do no fret wear whatsoever...

why is this?
what is average time for bad fret wear to occur?
Last edited by Acquiescence at May 3, 2008,
..forever?

Fret wear takes DECADES!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I put some blue steels on my guitar once.

Ate through the frets even while I wasn't playing...
Stainless wrapped strings are much harder on frets than regular nickel strings. The stainless is much harder material than the fret wire is. And fret wear depends on the guitar and the person. Many of the foreign and lower priced guitars use much softer but cheaper fret wire. It will wear faster than high quality fret wire. And of course it depends on how you play. Some people have a really light touch some dont. I can tear up the fret wires on a squire in a week but took 15 years on my MIA fender.
Quote by Tackleberry
Stainless wrapped strings are much harder on frets than regular nickel strings. The stainless is much harder material than the fret wire is. And fret wear depends on the guitar and the person. Many of the foreign and lower priced guitars use much softer but cheaper fret wire. It will wear faster than high quality fret wire. And of course it depends on how you play. Some people have a really light touch some dont. I can tear up the fret wires on a squire in a week but took 15 years on my MIA fender.

what about those inbetween guitars??? like the 600-700 dollar range
Epiphones has poor, soft fretwire, I mean, my LP has quite noticeable fretwear just after half a year. It will take some time before it's a problem, but I don't feel good about it. I have used Elixir strings on it all the time, don't know if that makes any difference.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.