What do others do when makin' a song do you let the drummer make up something to your song or would you tell him some things to do?
I usually write the songs in my band, then we just jam to it and every one else pretty much writes there own parts to go with my song. It keeps band members happy because they are playing pretty much what ever they want. But it definitely helps when they are good on their instruments. If I had to walk through every little note with a poor musician, then it would take most of the fun out of playing as a band.
Give the drummer suggestions. Sometimes if you let him do whatever he wants, he'll completely change the feel of the song. If he's hitting the snare on 3 instead of 2 + 4, it's going to make the song feel a lot slower.

Just tell him what kind of feel your going for and let him base his patterns off of that.
being in a band is about being in a band. you all have your own opinions. if you want to write songs for a backing band, be upfront about it. in the band i'm in, the singer/pianist tends to write the songs, but the bassist, drummer and i all come up with our own parts. sometimes the singer suggests what we should do, but equally we suggest things to each other and to him, and we all ignore suggestions we don't agree with.

basically, sure, suggest things to each other, but i think things are better if its suggestions not instructions.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
being in a band is about being in a band. you all have your own opinions. if you want to write songs for a backing band, be upfront about it. in the band i'm in, the singer/pianist tends to write the songs, but the bassist, drummer and i all come up with our own parts. sometimes the singer suggests what we should do, but equally we suggest things to each other and to him, and we all ignore suggestions we don't agree with.

basically, sure, suggest things to each other, but i think things are better if its suggestions not instructions.

Absolutely, I completely agree.
Look at it this way folks, if you're a guitarist and the other guy's a drummer, who's going to have a better idea of what drum parts to play or what kinda fills to put in?
You, the experienced guitar player, or him, the experienced drummer?
Try it the other way around, how would you feel if the drummer was telling you what to play?
Suggestions and ideas should always be welcomed because you never know where inspiration will come from, but in the end, whatever instrument you play in a band, whether it's guitar, drums, bass or keyboards, you are (probably) the most experienced person at that instrument in your band, and therefore, the most qualified person to say how it should be played.
From a drummer's perspective (i'm a guitarist and bassist second) I usually just play what I want for the songs mainly because the other members don't know how to describe what they're wanting. So I'd just jam it out a couple of times and let him find a beat that he's comfortable with, then if it's not what you were thinking for the song, try and give suggestions on how to tweak it. DO NOT just tell him play it this way, or say things like that doesn't sound right, and then give no suggestion on how you want it to sound. It is very irritating, do not act like you know how to play drums (unless you do)
I don't know crap about drums. My dad's a professional though. He teaches out of our home, and a few of my friends take lessons from him. So whenever they're over we usually jam for a bit, and they're all pretty competent. They can play along, figure out where to put accents, offbeat stuff, all that. If you have a creative and talented drummer, and let him play along with the track, it can work wonders.