I'm trying to instal a wireless network. First I need to make my PC compatible with ethernet connections. currently connected to the internet by USB.

I need to know what I need to do to make my computer connect to the internet with an ethernet cable.

I'm pretty sure I need a certain driver or something so I checked who makes my ethernet plug-in on my computer and it's Foxconn.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Your ISP should supply the drivers you need. Why do you need an ethernet if you're installing a wireless network?
ya thats defeating the purpose
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Afterwards I said to her "Why did you blitz my asshole like that?"

It's a wireless network from my main computer to other computers, the main computer will not be wireless. The other computers will be, now that I've explained it to you stop defeating the purpose of the thread cause you're not helping me.
You want to use an ethernet line to your computer, but do wireless for the other computers?

Go from the cable modem to a wireless router, an ethernet cable from that to your main computer, and use the other computers wirelessly with the router. That's how it is in my house. My computer uses an ethernet cable, but my sister's laptop and any other computers that visitors may bring use wireless.

edit: crappy MS Paint diagram to show you how it's laid out in my house
Last edited by FireandFlames at May 3, 2008,
Quote by FireandFlames
You want to use an ethernet line to your computer, but do wireless for the other computers?

Go from the cable modem to a wireless router, an ethernet cable from that to your main computer, and use the other computers wirelessly with the router. That's how it is in my house. My computer uses an ethernet cable, but my sister's laptop and any other computers that visitors may bring use wireless.

I know how to connect everything. My computer wont use ethernet cables for an internet connection and I need a driver or something to make it do that.
I repeat, your ISP should supply drivers and discs to install it and what not. Call them.
Quote by helper1234
I repeat, your ISP should supply drivers and discs to install it and what not. Call them.

I hate calling people for computer support. 99% of the time they have no clue wtf they are doing. I actually had cable one send a guy over and he completely ****ed up my setup and NOTHING worked right anymore. So I plugged it in how I had it and it worked fine. They're idiots.
Do you have a wireless router? It should be like this: Wall (cable socket) - Cable modem - Wireless router (via Ethernet). The router transmits wirelessly to USB bit on your computer.

And call them, or at least read the manuals with your equipment...you must be missing something.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101