hi sorry if this is in the wrong place but im a self taught guitarist whos been playing fot nearly 3 years now but now im getting into writing songs and the likes i have tried learning some general theory, however, everything i find absolutly bamboozals me.

any sites that you know that can help me or any advice on where to start learning or anything that you think will be rometly helpful is welcome

thanks in advance
Quote by Dillona
NME: OMFG DEY HAZ TIGHT JEENZ N MESSY HAIRZ!

LETS COVER THEM IN OUR MAGAZINE FOR THE NEXT THREE MONTHS! .

Metallica 08.07.07
Try getting some kind of tutor. Thats easially the best way of learning, directly from someone else, face to face.
Quote by Grouch
Try getting some kind of tutor. Thats easially the best way of learning, directly from someone else, face to face.

+1

if at all possible do this. Or take a class. The thing with theory, is you need to start from the very basic concepts and build 1 step at a time on that foundation. Having someone guide you through the materials is very helpful.

One thing you could try is the theory sticky here. Start at the beginning, and then if something doesnt make sense, see if you can get some answers here in the forum. It could at least give you some ideas.

keep in mind learning theory takes time. You wont read 1 post and understand it all.

here something you can look at as well. Intervals are the building blocks of scales and chords. its a good place to start:

Intervals
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 3, 2008,
I did consider a tutor but I'm extremely tight for money at the moment.
And thanks for all the links found them really helpful.
Quote by Dillona

Metallica 08.07.07
Quote by leprechaun_sean
I did consider a tutor but I'm extremely tight for money at the moment.
And thanks for all the links found them really helpful.
Depending on the tutor, they might teach you theory with slightly different terminology. I read a book not long ago that called each degree of a scale solfege names (doh rey me and so on). As opposed to calling each degree 1, 2, 3 and so on. Also, some sites/books would be more classical based and have more emphasis on say progressions and someother books might have a more jazz oriented view and place more emphasis on modes.

Um, what kind of music are you into?
Right come across my first problemo already.
Chromatic scale, is it just straight up the fretboard on the same string or on different strings like the minor scale or blues or whatever? or does it matter?
thanks in advance again and sorry if i sound like a complete idiot asking probably easy questions
Quote by Dillona

Metallica 08.07.07
Quote by leprechaun_sean
Chromatic scale, is it just straight up the fretboard on the same string or on different strings like the minor scale or blues or whatever? or does it matter?
It can be played any way you want. A scale is not restricted to a pattern. It exists all over the fretboard and when you get good, you'll use it all over the fretboard. The box patterns are good to know, but they do not represent the way to play a scale, just a way to play the scale.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It can be played any way you want. A scale is not restricted to a pattern. It exists all over the fretboard and when you get good, you'll use it all over the fretboard. The box patterns are good to know, but they do not represent the way to play a scale, just a way to play the scale.

well the box shapes represent scales as they appear on the neck. There are many patterns/shapes on the neck, all of which can be "the" way in a particular situation.

To the TS:

the chromatic scale consists of all half-steps, which on the guitar are 1 fret apart. So your pattern on 1 string ends up being a note on every fret.
the patterns allow us to play a scale in a position utilizing all of the strings, which is much more practical than trying to play on one string only.

if you spread the chromatic scale out over 6 strings using 4 notes per string, the pattern ends up like this:

Chromatic scale starting on C:

-------------------------------------------------------------------4-5-6-7-----------
--------------------------------------------------------5-6-7-8-----------------
--------------------------------------------5-6-7-8-------------------------------
------------------------------6--7--8--9---------------------------------------
----------------7-8--9-10----------------------------------------------------
--8-9-10-11-------------------------------------------------------------------

notice on each string the notes are 1 fret apart.

same concept for a Major scale

G major scale on 1 string:

-------------------------------------------------
-3--5--7--8--10--12--14--15---------------

G major scale pattern in 1 position:

--------------------------------------------------------2--3--5----
-----------------------------------------------3--5-----------------
------------------------------------2--4--5-------------------------
-----------------------2---4---5------------------------------------
-----------2--3---5------------------------------------------------
---3---5--------------------------------------------------------------

blue note = tonic (starting and ending point of scale)

keep in mind whats here are all the notes in a particular pattern. The patterns may start below the root, and end above the root. So the 1st note in the pattern isnt always the 1st note in the scale. (which is why I colored them). The 1st note obviously is the root in this case, but the highest note in the pattern is not.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 4, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
well the box shapes represent scales as they appear on the neck. There are many patterns/shapes on the neck, all of which can be "the" way in a particular situation.

To the TS:

the chromatic scale consists of all half-steps, which on the guitar are 1 fret apart. So your pattern on 1 string ends up being a note on every fret.
the patterns allow us to play a scale in a position utilizing all of the strings, which is much more practical than trying to play on one string only.

if you spread the chromatic scale out over 6 strings using 4 notes per string, the pattern ends up like this:

Chromatic scale starting on C:

-------------------------------------------------------------------4-5-6-7-----------
--------------------------------------------------------5-6-7-8-----------------
--------------------------------------------5-6-7-8-------------------------------
------------------------------6--7--8--9---------------------------------------
----------------7-8--9-10----------------------------------------------------
--8-9-10-11-------------------------------------------------------------------

notice on each string the notes are 1 fret apart.

same concept for a Major scale

G major scale on 1 string:

-3--5--7--8--10--12--14--15---------------

G major scale pattern in 1 position:

--------------------------------------------------------2--3--5----
-----------------------------------------------3--5-----------------
------------------------------------2--4--5-------------------------
-----------------------2---4---5------------------------------------
-----------2--3---5------------------------------------------------
---3---5--------------------------------------------------------------

blue note = tonic (starting and ending point of scale)

keep in mind whats here are all the notes in a particular pattern. The patterns may start below the root, and end above the root. So the 1st note in the pattern isnt always the 1st note in the scale. (which is why I colored them). The 1st note obviously is the root in this case, but the highest note in the pattern is not.

Jesus that must have taken some time to write, thanks a lot it makes it much clearer though. when i'm rich and famous ill hook you up with some tickets to make it up to you k?

thanks bangoodcharlotte too that also helped quite a bit
Quote by Dillona

Metallica 08.07.07
After going through the theory sticky (Also the beginner theory lesson on UG Lessons somewhere) and understanding as much as you can out of it, start lurking the MT forum here. If you see a thread about something you have some knowledge of, read the thread, watch the unfolding discussion. Contribute to the discussion, and if you have something wrong, some us regulars will be quick to correct you. That means you learn something. I just picked up this theory thing in the last 6 months and it has helped me loads. I'm pretty good at it now. Happy learning
most of the MT regulars will not yell, scream and flame you if you say something wrong, they will correct you and explain why. i have learned alot from lurking the MT board but you can always learn more, get a guitar teacher that knows theory, and read articles, you'll improve in no time.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...