Hi everyone. I was messing around on my guitar today, made some riffs, and recorded them. It's not a full song yet. I haven't showed it to my band yet either so theres no drums or anything. I already know that the first part is really long, but that's because I felt like it would be good with progressive drums. I'm basically looking for feedback on it. Anything constructive would be great! Thanks in advance.

Link:
http://media.putfile.com/UnfinishedUntitled-Death-Metal-Song

PS: Yes, I was inspired by Cannibal Corpse.

PPS: Critique and I'll critique your song if you give a link.
Last edited by jibgilmon at May 3, 2008,
being honest, there isn't that much to comment on.

Being a person who likes his progressive stuff, this isn't really my cup of tea. It's mainly one riff that isn't really varied apart from one small section which I'm assumming is the verse.

I can imagine some intensly fast double bass-drumming going throughout that intro section, or maybe even a heavy drum pattern (think the end of Aethetics of Hate by Machine Head) during the middle of the intro.

Just get some more riffs down and maybe have a slow, heavy section in the middle (think Sad but True by Metallica) then it should be good.
Quote by Guitar Monkey
I can imagine some intensly fast double bass-drumming going throughout that intro section, or maybe even a heavy drum pattern (think the end of Aethetics of Hate by Machine Head) during the middle of the intro.

Just get some more riffs down and maybe have a slow, heavy section in the middle (think Sad but True by Metallica) then it should be good.

Ya, that's what I was thinking for the intro also. I imagined it to be kind of like A Skull Full of Maggots - Cannibal Corpse. Also, you're right it needs a slower part, which would be a good transition to a faster insanely picked part lol. Thanks for the suggestions.
Ok, I don't know death metal from any of the other metals, but here's my impression:

1) What did you use to record this? The guitar is not coming through clearly. There's a lot of noise.
2) I basically hear two riffs. It would be helpful for a critique to hear more. So this is basically a critique of a riff, more than a song.
3) At the last second it sounded like you were going to go into some licks. I would've liked to see where that would have gone.
4) Did you record this with an amp on low volume? Because I swear I can hear your pick clacking against your guitar strings. I'd see if I can get more control to avoid this. You want the notes to ring more true.

It's not much to take with you as a critique, but hit me up when you get more of it down and ready.
    Quote by sugapablo
    Ok, I don't know death metal from any of the other metals, but here's my impression:

1) What did you use to record this? The guitar is not coming through clearly. There's a lot of noise.
    2) I basically hear two riffs. It would be helpful for a critique to hear more. So this is basically a critique of a riff, more than a song.
    3) At the last second it sounded like you were going to go into some licks. I would've liked to see where that would have gone.
    4) Did you record this with an amp on low volume? Because I swear I can hear your pick clacking against your guitar strings. I'd see if I can get more control to avoid this. You want the notes to ring more true.

It's not much to take with you as a critique, but hit me up when you get more of it down and ready.

1. My crappy camera, so it's bad quality.
    2. Ya, I was pretty much looking to see if other people liked the feel of the song, because I don't play death metal too much. I listen to that and black metal mostly, but i mostly play things like shadows fall.
    3. I'm thinking about putting a really fast riff after that section.
    4. Well, I made the mistake of recording it with my camera next to me, not the amp.

Thanks for the advice.