Page 1 of 5
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
I searched, and couldnt find a miles davis thread, and I couldnt believe it. Maybe because he doesn't play guitar... But anyways, discuss miles davis here.

If im not supposed to have this, forgive me.
Nick_
as I sd to my
38 IQ
I'll start this off with a difficult question:

Which of the quintets do you prefer?

It's rather an unfair question, because they're so dramatically different. I know I can't give an answer that I'm sure of. At the moment, I'll lean to the second. But that might change tomorrow (especially if you count the very late stuff right before kind of blue. bad cannonball! stop being so melodic!).
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
im partial to the first. But picking quintets is like picking beatles songs... Your favorite might change tomorrow.
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
I like Miles Davis. I don't know much about jazz, but it's listenable, to me. I find most jazz hard to listen to.
slidething31
375 IQ
"if peeing your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis"

I love Kind of Blue. It would be the one jazz album i would want if i could only have one.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Yeah, when you look back on it, it revolutionized jazz. Miles was one of the first ones to improv over a chord for 4 or more measures in jazz.
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism
1,584 IQ
Not intending to hijack the current discussion of the thread, I'm curious to see if anyone else owns the album Pangaea?

As far as I'm aware it was originally released only in Japan, but is now more accessible. My father is a huge Miles Davis fan, probably owning most of, if not all of, his discography. I know many other Davis fans, but I don't think I know anyone else who owns this particular album.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
nope, i dont have it. Ill look into it it. Is it available in america now?
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You
913 IQ
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Not intending to hijack the current discussion of the thread, I'm curious to see if anyone else owns the album Pangaea?

As far as I'm aware it was originally released only in Japan, but is now more accessible. My father is a huge Miles Davis fan, probably owning most of, if not all of, his discography. I know many other Davis fans, but I don't think I know anyone else who owns this particular album.

hmm interesting, I haven't heard of it even! I'm gonna have to dig up some more info on this then...

PS: I have 2 live recordings of Miles with the Bitches Brew feat. King Douche Jarrett (I mean the guy's a douche, but he's my favorite pianist).
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
^^true, he is a douche, and true, he is a great pianist. Im not sure if hes my favorite, but hes pretty good. Where did you get them, anyways? I bet there would be some sweet jamming on that record.
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You
913 IQ
^ for all your live show needs, I would direct you to http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/

and yeah there's some intense jamming going on there. one of the shows is at the Filmore West, and the other in Japan. The second show features an even more expansive line-up with guitar players like Pete Cosey in there. This is some of the funkiest jazz fusion recordings that I've heard.
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism
1,584 IQ
Quote by due 07
nope, i dont have it. Ill look into it it. Is it available in america now?

I believe so, but it's difficult to find. Ordering it from the Internet is your best shot.
laurel333
Psychedelic jazz musician
134 IQ
Quote by Nick_

Which of the quintets do you prefer?

I prefer the second (Davis, Shorter, Hancock, Carter, Williams) and i'm listening to E.S.P atm

Very good album

First quintet did fantastically on Kind Of Blue though.

Anyone own A Tribute To Jack Johnson, or In A Silent Way?
Clapton
McLaughlin

Metheny
Wakenius
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
I have In A Silent Way. I heard Kind Of Blues first, when I was about 11; and heard In A Silent Way about 2 months ago, when I realised it was on my brothers shelf.
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
I'd say get Kind Of Blue, and In A Silent Way. But that's only because that's what I've heard. I really do like In a Silent Way. It's on my sleeping playlist.
johnny_tapia
Definitely Maybe..
1,944 IQ
^ Cheers for the recs!
Quote by slidething31
"if peeing your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis".

Great film
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
INDUSTRIALMETAL
What is that noise?
133 IQ
I prefer his 2nd quintet. But as far as in studio goes, you can't beat Bill Evans on piano.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
Nick_
as I sd to my
38 IQ
^He's quite something live, too - Sunday at the Village Vanguard is one of those essential to a collection albums.

Jack Johnson is rocking - Apparently much of it was conceived when McLaughin, Cobham et al were waiting for Miles to show up and just started jamming with the tape going.

Does anyone find that Miles' fusion can be introduced into fans of modern indie/electric/eclectic artsy stuff? It's wierd, they seem unusually responsive to it. Once they hook, you can often ease them into more traditional Miles.
GnikNus
April Fool
111 IQ
love kind of blue, need to get some more of his stuff..^and i used to be one of those artsy indie people, ha

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
ohhey9040
Nature Without Man
577 IQ
Quote by laurel333
Anyone own A Tribute To Jack Johnson, or In A Silent Way?

I've been listening to In A Silent Way a lot lately, it's an amazing album. I would almost go as far as to say it's my favorite Miles album ever, but I need to get into more of his discography before I can have a truly definitive favorite. I have Jack Johnson but I haven't really listened to it much. I need to get on that. The only exposure I have to that era is the version of Yesternow on the first disc of The Cellar Door Sessions (another great album).

What does everyone here think of On the Corner? It's a polarizing album that people love and loathe w/equal passion. I personally think it's great, but I can see why people dislike it.
laurel333
Psychedelic jazz musician
134 IQ
Yeah Yesternow is a good song

I really love Miles's fusion days, excluding Tutu - cos that annoys me

All his stuff with John McLaughlin is fantastic!
Clapton
McLaughlin

Metheny
Wakenius
vintage x metal
Brown-Thighed Girl
5,308 IQ
I absolutely love this man. he's all I listen to when i study (which is quite a lot )
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Did you guys get into him through his electric or acoustic stuff?

Acoustic for me.
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
2,037 IQ
Not a great trumpet player, but truly innovative and I also don't really like a lot of his tones.

That said, I do really like Kind of Blue (like everyone else) but I can't get into his more fusiony stuff like Bitch's brew, to out there for me.

It also doesn't help that I think John Mglauchlin is a lot of notes and fluff and no substance.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
theneildeal
UG's Jazz Guru
1,531 IQ
The thing about Miles Davis to me is that his albums are either hit or miss. I love half of them, and really don't like the other half. For example, Kind Of Blue, Steamin', Birth Of The Cool etc are really good albums that i could listen to all day. But the likes of Tutu and Sketches in Spain are albums that i just can't get in to.

He's always compared to Coltrane as a jazz innovator, but in my opinion, Coltrane has an album for every mood, and i could listen to every one of his albums and love it!
UG's Stock Market Guy

Hablo Español
Wǒ néng shuō Zhōngwén

So you can speak to me in English, Spanish or Chinese

My Recordings:

Dissident Blues
El Farol
Lenny
We'll Make This Work
Stop This Train
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
2,037 IQ
Quote by theneildeal
The thing about Miles Davis to me is that his albums are either hit or miss. I love half of them, and really don't like the other half. For example, Kind Of Blue, Steamin', Birth Of The Cool etc are really good albums that i could listen to all day. But the likes of Tutu and Sketches in Spain are albums that i just can't get in to.

He's always compared to Coltrane as a jazz innovator, but in my opinion, Coltrane has an album for every mood, and i could listen to every one of his albums and love it!

I think that just means you like Coltrane more, to be honest. I think Miles David was many leagues more historically important than Coltrane - though nowhere need as good a musician.
theneildeal
UG's Jazz Guru
1,531 IQ
of course yeah, Davis was a lot more important to jazz
UG's Stock Market Guy

Hablo Español
Wǒ néng shuō Zhōngwén

My Recordings:

Dissident Blues
El Farol
Lenny
We'll Make This Work
Stop This Train
Thefallofman
Lesh Is More
1,572 IQ
Quote by GnikNus
love kind of blue, need to get some more of his stuff

I'm in the same boat.

It's the only jazz album I have actually- I'm a complete noob.
Hey, I'm Mike.
theneildeal
UG's Jazz Guru
1,531 IQ
Quote by Thefallofman
I'm in the same boat.

It's the only jazz album I have actually- I'm a complete noob.

check out the suggested albums list that's stickied in this forum
UG's Stock Market Guy

Hablo Español
Wǒ néng shuō Zhōngwén

My Recordings:

Dissident Blues
El Farol
Lenny
We'll Make This Work
Stop This Train
ohhey9040
Nature Without Man
577 IQ
Quote by meh!
Not a great trumpet player, but truly innovative and I also don't really like a lot of his tones.

That said, I do really like Kind of Blue (like everyone else) but I can't get into his more fusiony stuff like Bitch's brew, to out there for me.

It also doesn't help that I think John Mglauchlin is a lot of notes and fluff and no substance.

Bitches Brew is the wrong place to start if you're looking to get into his fusion stuff. I'd get In A Silent Way because it is a little more closely tied to his jazz roots and it's a lot shorter too, not to mention a lot better imho.

But I haven't listened to enough of his jazz stuff yet. I love Kind of Blue, but I've only given Birth of the Cool and Sketches of Spain a couple of listens. Usually when I'm in a jazz mode, I go for Coltrane so I haven't quite gotten around to those yet.
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
2,037 IQ
Quote by ohhey9040
Bitches Brew is the wrong place to start if you're looking to get into his fusion stuff. I'd get In A Silent Way because it is a little more closely tied to his jazz roots and it's a lot shorter too, not to mention a lot better imho.

But I haven't listened to enough of his jazz stuff yet. I love Kind of Blue, but I've only given Birth of the Cool and Sketches of Spain a couple of listens. Usually when I'm in a jazz mode, I go for Coltrane so I haven't quite gotten around to those yet.

I didn't start with Bitch's brew, I was just saying that I can't get into it.
ohhey9040
Nature Without Man
577 IQ
I can definitely understand that. Truth be told, I'm not huge into Bitches Brew either. I like it, but it meanders too much to keep me immersed in every piece. And it's a very dense album both in terms of length and the amount of instruments performing together on each piece. It's probably my least favorite of Miles' fusion albums.