What is a good amp for under $400 that would work well with active pickups (most likely EMGs)

From everything I have read it seems like EMGs don't work well with solid state amps and I'm planning on just screwing around with two friends of mine who play the guitar/bass.
Quote by thrash232
Line 6

Killyourself.

Do you plan to play gigs and such? Do you need effects? Cant really tell from your post if you do or dont want solidstate.
Quote by thrash232
Line 6

No. Just no. I'd really go with a Roland Cube 30x for just bedroom practice or the 60x which is I think $110 more at 340 ish.
line 6 = fail
I'd say that the Roland Cube is something to consider if you don't have pedals.
If you dont need tons of volume id say the Royal 8 if its just for messing around with another guitrist and bassist. It should suffice unless you add a drummer.
roland cubes are a solid choice

i just noticed my sig lol
i used to not like them cause i have a crap sound but im pretty sure that its my multi fx pedal
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW
Last edited by rockdan101 at May 3, 2008,
if you have pedals you want to use, like an OD or delay and such, get a Peavey Valveking. if not then get a cube either a 30x or a 60, i would prefer the 60 though, especially if you're playing with other people.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by rwalby9
Get the Peavey ValveKing 112.

+1
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I actually really like my valveking now... I was hating it before because i didnt know the tubes were blown but now with the tube change i was able to get a really nice metal tone out of it pretty easy. And its a metal tone i truly like. I was even thinking about selling it at one point but no way in hell im going to sell it now.
Peavey Valvking 112 I bought mine today and it was really easy to get a decent metal tone out of it. Can't wait for my new speakers and tubes to come.