Page 1 of 4
I recently got addicted to watching The Office. I have seen every episode of the first and second season so far (trying to watch every episode in order) I had a question - is the UK version of The Office any different than the US version? And if the answer is yes then how so?
British one is FAR better. They were smart enough to finish it early. Not drag it on like the damned American one.
The UK one always seemed more serious to me. It's similar humor, but better. The UK one is a hell lot more blunt. I definitely prefer it, although the US one can be good on occasions (some episodes are just bad).
the british version is much more mean spirited than the american one. i always found myself feeling bad for all the characters. sometimes its downright depressing. i much prefer the american one.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Also, the people who invented the office, Ricky Gervais (plays lead role in British version) and Steve Merchant also wrote a two season sitcom called 'Extras' which was pretty good and had some pretty good special guests, including Ben Stiller.
some of its funny, i havnt seen much tho.

someone i know has a dunder mifflin paper co. shirt
Quote by djmay71
OMG

eddievh2, you are a genuis, and true man of action

damn right

Quote by Zugunruhe

or else, how good are you at drawing penises?

lulz
Quote by Zugunruhe
the british version is much more mean spirited than the american one. i always found myself feeling bad for all the characters. sometimes its downright depressing. i much prefer the american one.

Us Brits are blunt, cold, bitter and cynical. It's the only way to go I preferred how the UK one makes you feel bad than some of the dodgy plots in the US ones sometimes.
Hold on I am not getting this...so it is the same characters and setting etc. but different scripts/episodes? Or is it the same episodes with minor adjustments..?
Quote by nine01n
Hold on I am not getting this...so it is the same characters and setting etc. but different scripts/episodes? Or is it the same episodes with minor adjustments..?

Same general characters. Thats it. Oh and basic plot.
Quote by Craigo

Us Brits are blunt, cold, bitter and cynical. It's the only way to go I preferred how the UK one makes you feel bad than some of the dodgy plots in the US ones sometimes.
yea, but its much less entertaining. its supposed to be a comedy. the thing is is that ricky gervais is so funny outside the show, but in that character he just isnt that funny. you spend most the show pitying him than laughing at him.
Quote by nine01n
a few of the episodes are the same, but im pretty sure the american office stopped using them a while back. and the characters have generally the same roles, but theyre not the same interpretations.
The UK version uses subtle, intelligent, observational comedy, whereas the US version uses obvious, farcical humour.

The UK version is funnier because it's clever, but it's depressing because I either hate the characters or feel really sorry for them.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by nine01n

Similar characters, but both are unique in their own way. There are US equivalents to the original UK ones and are very different at the same time. Different plot lines, similar settings.

They're both pretty different shows, just based on the same concept.
Quote by Zugunruhe
yea, but its much less entertaining. its supposed to be a comedy. the thing is is that ricky gervais is so funny outside the show, but in that character he just isnt that funny. you spend most the show pitying him than laughing at him.

That's his style of humor which occurs so much in modern British humor. I feel pity, but I laugh a lot at the same time.
Quote by break-me-in
The UK version uses subtle, intelligent, observational comedy, whereas the US version uses obvious, farcical humour.

The UK version is funnier because it's clever, but it's depressing because I either hate the characters or feel really sorry for them.

This, plus realistic bitterness just makes the UK one better overall

The US one can be good though, don't get me wrong at all on that one.
Quote by Craigo
That's his style of humor which occurs so much in modern British humor. I feel pity, but I laugh a lot at the same time.
yea, we dont really have that kick-em-when-theyre-down kind of humor over here. i cant think of any shows that do it. i dont miss it, though.
Quote by Zugunruhe
yea, we dont really have that kick-em-when-theyre-down kind of humor over here. i cant think of any shows that do it. i dont miss it, though.

Suit yourself Each to his own.
The U.K one has had me in tears from where it's so hilarious. The U.S one bored me.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by Craigo
'So, Gareth, what's your fantasy?'
'Two girls. Same room. I'm watching.'

Exactly. Tim's face is enough to crack me up though.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by the_astronaut

Exactly. Tim's face is enough to crack me up though.

Ahh, Tim is the best out of all of them.

'In this room I have special'
'Needs?'
'No I'm a special-'
'Needs child?'
The british version is the original. Its got its own sense of humour, it has great storylines and is quite touching sometimes. its just a classic comedy. the american one is less serious, ive only seen a few episodes but i know it isnt as good - even though i cracked up a few times and really enjoyed it. so i dont think its bad that there is an american version really because it is good, just not as good as the original.
I prefer the American one. Better/funnier actors IMO. Especially for Dwight. Dwight owns Gareth.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by Joey Radical
I prefer the American one. Better/funnier actors IMO. Especially for Dwight. Dwight owns Gareth.

The acting in the British one is miles better, it's seems more real.

Dwight may be awesome, but, Dwight doesn't beat Gareth
American version is too obvious... you have to wait a while for a big laugh, british version keeps you chuckling through most of it.

If you've seen one episode of the US one, you've seen them all. The British version you really grow to like/hate/feel sorry for the characters over the episodes.
Quote by Craigo
The acting in the British one is miles better, it's seems more real.

Dwight may be awesome, but, Dwight doesn't beat Gareth

+1

Dwight is the only character in the US version that makes me laugh, but the U.K. one had me uncontrollabley laughing. UK comedies i think are alot better than US, but thats my personal opinion. Their are US comedies which i love though ( Scrubs and Two and a half men) but can not beat UK comedies, may just me being patriotic
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by Craigo

Amazing, too bad I actually tried that mystery before and nothing came up. Hence why I asked here.
Quote by DanRev
American version is too obvious... you have to wait a while for a big laugh, british version keeps you chuckling through most of it.

If you've seen one episode of the US one, you've seen them all.
The British version you really grow to like/hate/feel sorry for the characters over the episodes.

hmmm... almost seems like the opinions in this thread are biased.....

shocking!
The first season of the American Office is based on the UK Version, with the same jokes used throughout each episode.

The difference is that The UK Office is funnier.
High as tits
Quote by Craigo
I beg to differ.

Me after two hours sleep and too much beer.

Sup you.
So the major difference between the two is comprised of a bunch of biased opinions on which is funnier?
Quote by roger24
one time, when no-one was looking, i pooped in the hole of a accustic guitar.
Quote by puppetmaster917
So the major difference between the two is comprised of a bunch of biased opinions on which is funnier?

Nope. The majority of this thread prefers the UK version. The people who have said that are from both US and UK, half and half. That's fair going for me.

I also watched the US one before the UK one too.
Page 1 of 4