Ok, I am basicly broke and I want my guitar to sound as punk as possible wiothout spending n e money, suggestions?
how bout you just play three chords over and over again and hit random notes that make no sense
Quote by campbell92
Do you actually dance after each post you make?

...that would be so badass.

!!PanterA!!

Memeber #7 of the Altar Of Slayer!!
Take a big **** on your pickups, Buy a Marshall MG halfstack, Put thousands of meaningless stickers all over your guitar gear and forget all scales and theory. Then name your band *Insert color here* *Insert month here* And show everyone how bad it sounds on stage.
It's just distortion with power chords and such. I think it's a matter of playing style over sound really. Just don't load up the sound with too much distortion.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Take a big **** on your pickups, Buy a Marshall MG halfstack, Put thousands of meaningless stickers all over your guitar gear and forget all scales and theory. Then name your band *Insert color here* *Insert month here* And show everyone how bad it sounds on stage.

Or he could run 19 distortion pedals into one another, grunt into a microphone at random intervals and tremolo pick his drop-tuned open J string for 3 minutes, death metal style.

Stereotyping: Not nice.

TS, what equipment do you have now?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at May 3, 2008,
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Take a big **** on your pickups, Buy a Marshall MG halfstack, Put thousands of meaningless stickers all over your guitar gear and forget all scales and theory. Then name your band *Insert color here* *Insert month here* And show everyone how bad it sounds on stage.

^ what he said...

but i like punk too...old school
This thread is too funny! And true (somewhat.) But I still dig good ol Punk Rock!! I've got to go, because I have a new sticker to put somewhere.
dont forget the hammer-n-sandpaper treatment...and some catpiss for good measure...
*sees thread title*
*sees responses*
*sighs*

What specific sound are you trying to acheive? Name a few bands you want to sound similar to. What's your current gear?
There are several theories on 'punk' sound, but I've always liked the overdriven solidstates or p.a. systems. If ts has an old practice amp lying around, I'd start there - for a more helpful response though, what equipment do you have?
buy a cheap ****ty guitar. it doesnt matter what. preferably under 100 dollers. buy an amp that barely works. then crank the amps volume and gain all the way. turn your guitars knobs all to ten. then just play random powerchords as fast as you can while ****ing it all up. and there you go.
listen to "Fell in love with a girl" from the White Stripes and you'll see how easy it is to sound punk and sell a record...
i think i wrote this song when i was 12, but they recorded it first...
Well your guitar won't really matter as long as it's not a metal guitar. So go with either classic guitar copys or the actual classic guitars. (Les Pauls and Strats) For amps, you'll need a tube amp and just don't put to much distortion on and crank it up to ten. Despite everything most people here have said, most punk bands don't use that much distortion so mainly rely on amp distortion and if you lightly play with your thumb it should sound pretty clean. That's a good test. Then, crank up the midrange to get a really in your face sound.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
alot of flaming here, punk rock rules.... ruled

anyway, describing what kinda tone would be helpful, are we talking olf school like dead kennedys, minor threat, agent orange, dead milkmen, reagon youth, 7 seconds, ramones, black flag, bad religion and the descendents or are we talking new school like blink 182 and ummm, lets see, well, ummm... alright, so i'm old school

if you want an old school punk sound then just crank the amp, use a fenderish something, crank those mids, don't use a whole butt ton of distortion and plug directly into the amp. alot of old punk bands would just use whatever, they were very broke and made due with whatever they could get ahold of. alot of newer punk sounds like they use mesa boogie and a fender. being broke you could probably just go for a single coil guitar->ds-1->cheap combo amp, all told ~500 USD
Well, just use a fair amount of disto, with a fairly trebly and middy tone.
Well, EQing your amp is free, so go for that.

And, make sure to play nothing but power chords and other stuff like that. That's pretty crucial for punk.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'll chime in here on a serious note. As a product of the punk era...I actually jamed with Mike Ness, before he was anybody. Back in those days (late 70's) I really did not like punk, I was a Rock & Roll Person (called classic rock now-a-days.) Everyone into punk was getting the crop-cuts, and yeh...jamed with whatever they had access too. Those folks were not "gear-snobs." (Yet, they knew what the good gear was!) It was Gibson and Marshall with gain on 10 plus. Fast power chords with messages of rebellion and anti-society were the basic foundation of original punk. It was a great time! It was a huge orgy and party way of life. Maybe an even anti-60's love and peace, unorganized movement - thrown in there for spice.

To say all punkers lacked talent and vision stongly lacks in reality, for some of the early successful punk acts. Consider the Damned, or the Clash as a small example of highly talented early punk rockers.

Today's "new-punk" is highly produced (and in some cases) fun music...not what the original punk was all about. Now that I am " little bit older " I really appreciate punk rock (both old and new) as non-pretentious tunage, that is cool to play and listen too.
Buy a di box plug directly into the pa and dime it.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
i'd say for punk get anything you think sounds good, and don't get hung up on whether its a tube amp, or whatever. Just try out some gear full blast until you find something you're satisfied with. Any guitar should do the trick. For pedals, just a distortion pedal, if you're not happy with the amplifiers distortion or you want to be able to go between clean and distorted. Punk really, in my opinion, is more about the raw energy of the performance.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Punk doesn't require a good tone. It's nice with good tone, but not absolutely necessary. Just use a heap of distortion, and play with your EQ until you get something you like.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
What kinda amp would be good for a The Clash sound? Im guessing something overdriven and British?
Quote by timi_hendrix
Or he could run 19 distortion pedals into one another, grunt into a microphone at random intervals and tremolo pick his drop-tuned open J string for 3 minutes, death metal style.

I don't know how long it's been since I laughed that hard.

EDIT: I'm sigging that one

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by MrSheen
What kinda amp would be good for a The Clash sound? Im guessing something overdriven and British?

Mick Jones used a Mesa Boogie Mark I. Joe Strummer used an AC30, if I'm not mistaken.
Quote by damnedone
I'll chime in here on a serious note. As a product of the punk era...I actually jamed with Mike Ness, before he was anybody. Back in those days (late 70's) I really did not like punk, I was a Rock & Roll Person (called classic rock now-a-days.) Everyone into punk was getting the crop-cuts, and yeh...jamed with whatever they had access too. Those folks were not "gear-snobs." (Yet, they knew what the good gear was!) It was Gibson and Marshall with gain on 10 plus. Fast power chords with messages of rebellion and anti-society were the basic foundation of original punk. It was a great time! It was a huge orgy and party way of life. Maybe an even anti-60's love and peace, unorganized movement - thrown in there for spice.

kickass, are you in orange county?

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Indeed...for many moons!! Yeh, it was a good time!

Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
kickass, are you in orange county?
I think Id go with a Strat or Tele, a Boss DS-1 or DS-2, and an amp thats at least semi bright.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Go the cheap route...a decent Epipihone SG with a solid state Marshall. Used would be better if you have price concerns.
-----------------------------------
G.A.S. Afflicted
Quote by jgritz
Go the cheap route...a decent Epipihone SG with a solid state Marshall. Used would be better if you have price concerns.

He said he didn't want to spend any money... and why should he get a SS Marshall? He could get a cheaper, better solid-state.