So my grandmother just recently died and left us some money and my dad said he would buy me a new amp. I play a lot of things ranging from worship music at church to blues to shred to hardcore. So I was really planning on buying the peavey valveking 112.

My cousin today bought the 212 and it sounds really good to me. I'm pretty sure it's the best amp in my price range (around $400). But i figured i would just ask the more experienced people here before i rushed into buying it.

Also i play a standard telecaster. I love my telecaster for blues and clean stuff but i really would like to be able to get some shred/hardcore tones out of it, so I've been thinking about different pickups.

At first i thought maybe i would go with a stacked humbucker like richie kotzen but it just doesn't have the same fullness as a humbucker. So my next thought was getting my bridge routed out for a humbucker and either a Dimarzio Evo or a PAF Pro for it and a strat single coil in the neck for the great cleans.

I'm really looking for a "clean" distortion with the pickups. Like steve vai or richie kotzen or paul gilbert. So i can actually hear the notes when there is distortion? it's hard for me to explain. I would also just like the humbucker to be able to do "chug chug chug" if possible. The cleans and the "clean" distortion is more important though.

Sorry for the great wall of text haha and thanks in advance!
Woohoo.
peavey valveking 112 is a great amp. Plug an overdrive pedal into that thing and you have the clean distortion you've been looking for. For the pick-ups i'm not sure.
Quote by Demonikk
+1 on everything phip said

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Beheringer Distortion pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
well constructed thread Iplayblues and sorry to hear about your grandmother.

my only advice is to get the amp first, settle in with that, and then focus on the pickups but your def headed in the right direction.

;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 3, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well constructed thread Iplayblues and sorry to hear about your grandmother.

my only advice is to get the amp first, settle in with that, and then focus on the pickups but your def headed in the right direction.

;

Hey thanks so much man.
I am getting the amp either tomorrow or next weekend so i think i'll just spend a few weeks messing with the eq and stuff before i go into pickups. I've researched amps a lot so i think i should do that with the pickups as well haha.

And i do have an overdrive pedal so i hope i hope that will help!

thanks heaps guys but if anyone has some pickup advice i'd love to hear it.
Woohoo.
Cool. Good plan. I'm just not a tele guy or Dimarzio guy so you don't want my opinion. There will be others that will chime in i'm sure. I have read about some concerns with EVO tone but i don't remember what guitars they were in.

I can tell you that i recently put a Seymour Duncan JB in my strat bridge and then realized it was way too bright and trebly so I'm swapping it out for the Ducan Custom Custom SH 11 TB stylee for a deeper sound. Don't know how you feel about the Duncans. I know that when I called Duncan they were real good and patient in helping me think thru my decision.

You may want to try that with Duncan or Dimarzio.

Oh, and the main reason i was saying that above ^ is because i got my latest amp AND the JB done roughly at the same time so it was hard to hear where the changes were. All good changes BTW.

Good luck man,

;