Poll: Should it be legal in the US to grow organs from stem cells?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should it be legal in the US to grow organs from stem cells?
Yes
36 97%
No
1 3%
Voters: 37.
It is scientifically possible to create new organs from stem cells that are genetically identical to the organ the stem cells were taken from. And the newly grown organs would be fully functional like the originals. If this practice was legalized in the US, these organs grown from stem cells could be used to treat a variety of diseases including various forms of cancer, parkinson's disease and leukemia. Should this be legalized in the US, explain?
Yes it should for obvious reasons I can't be bothered going into so don't quote me and expect me to reply.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Saves lives.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
yes.

obviously because it would benefit people with faulty organs
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
It should be, the benefits outweigh the moral issues by far (at least for me, though I can see that this not even a question for rather idealistic people).
YES, **** your morals with, how those embryo's had potential to be lives. We're out to save lives. But recently we've discovered how to take stem cells from bone marrow.
D:
Signature.
it is legal in the US. its just not funded.
I have no opinion on this matter.
I'd even be all for using sperm and eggs to produce stem cells in a scientific environment. And it's all possible especially with recent advancements in the cloning field.
D:
Signature.
really i'm doing a project on it for school, my best research tells me it's still illegal in the US
I think the dumbest misconception the public has is the whole idea that when they hear "Embryonic Stem Cells," their mind automatically jumps to pictures of cute, breathing babies.

Some quick biology; A stem cell is a cell that hasn't differentiated (become a specific kind of cell)yet. Stem cells have the unique ability of being able to differentiate into whatever kind of cell they are put near (whether it be marrow cells, blood cells, skin cells, whatever). So it doesn't have a heart, brain, or anything. It hasn't differentiated yet. Scientists aren't killing babies, people!

Oh yeah, and stem cells can also come from adults (called Adult Stem Cells). They can be found all over the body, and a good quanitity can be found in fat. So when people get lipo-suction, they can up the extra fat and throw it away. Why not use that for stem cell research?

And another ironic thing, if a couple decides to undergo In vitro fertilisation, they usually take an excess amount of egg cells and sperm. These are kept in banks, and if they aren't claimed for use within 6 months, they are destroyed.
So legally they HAVE to destroy these cells. Why not put them to a good use and save some lives?

General ignorance of the public. You gotta love it.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
Last edited by Mynabull at May 3, 2008,
Quote by slash16x
really i'm doing a project on it for school, my best research tells me it's still illegal in the US
no. it just doesnt get funding for the most part.

heres the exceptions that do get funding:

http://stemcells.nih.gov/policy/defaultpage.asp

but you can do research if you have your own funding. you just get no help from the government.

also, CA and NJ have made their own rules to encourage it.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Oh lawdy lawd!

Stem cell research is vital and should be funded properly and regualted properly. It has the potential to save lives by curing immense numbers of diseases.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Im all for it but it needs strict boundaries in my eyes. i mean scientists could start trying to play god and making their own person, or something. its like cloning animals, they dont think about the poor cloned animal thats in loads of pain just because they did it wrong. but yeah im all for it.

oh and also they need to be POSITIVE that it wont be leathal in the long run.

thats my contribution anyway!
Quote by Grouch
Im all for it but it needs strict boundaries in my eyes. i mean scientists could start trying to play god and making their own person, or something. its like cloning animals, they dont think about the poor cloned animal thats in loads of pain just because they did it wrong. but yeah im all for it.

oh and also they need to be POSITIVE that it wont be leathal in the long run.

thats my contribution anyway!

>_>

<_<

Spoil sport... I wanted to clone me a monkey-Rhino
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
I'm not gonna be a jack ass and say how important it is, as I do not now fully (try spending five weeks with science grads and students, you'll realise how ignorant you truly are on the subject). However, I see no moral wrong in it, so it's a-okay for me.

Whoever voted no, justify yourself could ya?