i want to get a les paul, i could easily save up for a epiphone but a gibson would be a stretch. is it worth saving for a gibson. because from what i understand there are really only two factors that are a difference bettween the two 1. epiphones-made in china, gibson-america. and 2. gibsons have better pickups. if i buy a nice 600 dollar epiphone and just put gibson pick ups in it will it be identical to a gibson in playability, sound, and duribility? or should i save up 1000 for a gibson?
No Les Paul is worth it if it's under 1700 bucks. Gibson wise.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yeah, go Epiphone.
Gibson's quality has been really bad as of recent, and a high end Epiphone with a hardware/electronics change and a good setup can smoke Epiphones out of the water.
Signatures are overrated.
I played an epiphone Les paul today...and i have to say it was a dissapointment.
If you like Blues/Rock then add me as a friend. I need to talk to some Blues/Rock Musicians and need reccomendations.
An epiphone has worse woods than a gibson, the craftsmanship is better on the gibson, though it is far from being bad on the epi.

If you'll switch the pickups, it will NOT sound like a gibson. However, it can still sound good with a pickup swap.

As long as you take it for what it is (a fine rock guitar), you won't be disappointed, just don't expect it to sound and play like a gibby.
i'd say it's better to go for the gibson for a few hundred more. You can get the gibson studio faded for $800 thats what i have and it's amazing
or the non faded studio for $1000
Gibson is WAY better then epiphone. Dont let you fool by internet tales. Go test and you will see.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
If you can't afford a Gibson
Get a Tokai
s'what I did
They **** Epiphone's in the ass
Hardcore style
Tokai.

Similar pricing to an Epi, but the quality is waaaaaaaaaaaay better. And Gibson have really got sloppy on their quality control.

*EDIT

Ah, beaten to it. Always good to see a fellow Tokai player.

TIME

...I've created my own time signature. Geddit?

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Rounder01
I played an epiphone Les paul today...and i have to say it was a dissapointment.

It depends which one you play. The Standard LP is utter garbage without a pickup change, though the elitist epis are pretty good.

TS, I recommend you don't listen to the guys who tell you Gibsons are crap. The quality control is not bad. It is better than what epiphone offers. It's true that there are some bad eggs under 1500 bucks when it comes to Gibson, but that's the case with most guitar companies.

ANY Gibson I have played so far (and I played quite a lot), has had better wood, electronics and craftsmanship than any given epiphone (Yes, even the Gibson LP Studio is better than the best Epi).

I have yet to come across a Gibby that is less than excellent.

Gibson is WAY better then epiphone. Dont let you fool by internet tales. Go test and you will see.

Nice to see someone who knows what he's talking about. Gibson bashing is way too popular by now.
Quote by TheQuailman
It depends which one you play. The Standard LP is utter garbage without a pickup change, though the elitist epis are pretty good.

TS, I recommend you don't listen to the guys who tell you Gibsons are crap. The quality control is not bad. It is better than what epiphone offers. It's true that there are some bad eggs under 1500 bucks when it comes to Gibson, but that's the case with most guitar companies.

ANY Gibson I have played so far (and I played quite a lot), has had better wood, electronics and craftsmanship than any given epiphone (Yes, even the Gibson LP Studio is better than the best Epi).

Nice to see someone who knows what he's talking about. Gibson bashing is way too popular by now.

I'll see what I think when i play a LP custom...

But I did play a PRS SE custom and absolutley loved it... i was glued to the seat at Guitar Center. It rocks...

SORRY for the off topic post...
If you like Blues/Rock then add me as a friend. I need to talk to some Blues/Rock Musicians and need reccomendations.
You'd probably be better off saving $1000 for an Epiphone Elitist. I like them just as much as Gibson Les Paul Standards and they are a lot better than the Gibson Studio.
Gear:
70s Gibson ES-335
Fender MIM Strat
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Mesa Express 5:50
Fender NOS Blues Junior
Line 6 PodXT Live
Quote by TheQuailman

Yet to come across a Gibson less than excellent? There's been a fair few people who have complained about the tone/volume knobs being unturnable, and when turned, scratched the finish off the guitar.
There's being people who have complained about Gibsons feeling like a bit of wood with cat organs taped across it.
There's being those that have spoken about the crap finishes that they've seen on the Gibsons.
Then there's those that have just been generally unhappy.

Now, if that's not a reason to dis Gibson, the fact that everyone who spoke about Gibson in that way recommended an Epiphone over them is.

And just because there's Gibson bashing, it doesn't mean people don't know what they're talking about.

Oh, and to top that off, the price.
2 grand for a Gibson? I bet alone the guitar's worth under a grand, the only reason they're expensive is because of the name, and the fact that American's underestimate a Chinese workers work quality.
Last edited by Moe. at May 3, 2008,
ok id say go to a guitar center try out a gibson then try out all there epi les paul customs and standards.. because if u get a really good epi it could be better then that gibson
Quote by Moe.
Yet to come across a Gibson less than excellent? There's been a fair few people who have complained about the tone/volume knobs being unturnable, and when turned, scratched the finish off the guitar.
There's being people who have complained about Gibsons feeling like a bit of wood with cat organs taped across it.
There's being those that have spoken about the crap finishes that they've seen on the Gibsons.

The same applies to Epiphones, the only difference is that it applies to Epiphones far more often. People just won't complain about a 500$ guitar to be bad, because they know that they can not expect it to be entirely perfect. Only major flaws get mentioned here. It's different with a 2000$ guitar: You expect it to be perfect and that's why even little and very rare flaws are talked about. And by all means, that's only right. Just don't think that every lower end Gibson is crap because of that. It's like I said: There are some bad ones out there. It's just not many.

Now, if that's not a reason to dis Gibson, the fact that everyone who spoke about Gibson in that way recommended an Epiphone over them is.

And just because there's Gibson bashing, it doesn't mean people don't know what they're talking about.

It's a fact that high end Epis (Elitists) are great guitars. So I can understand that people who happened to have bad experiences with Gibsons will prefer those. But generally speaking, a low end Gibson is still better than a high end Epiphone. Try them out and see. It's what I did.

2 grand for a Gibson? I bet alone the guitar's worth under a grand, the only reason they're expensive is because of the name, and the fact that American's underestimate a Chinese workers work quality.

I agree here, some of the standards are ridiculously overpriced. But you can get some Standards for under 2000$ and the faded LPs as well as the LP Classic are a lot cheaper and worth every cent. The price on the LP Studio is pretty good, too.

Quote by TheQuailman

Yeah, I can understand that.
But on an expensive (hand made) guitar you'd expect Gibson to have themselves pulled together.
And I don't think Lower end Gibsons are crap. There's bound to be some great lower end Gibsons out there, but for the money an Epiphone would be better.

I did try a low end Gibson next to my Epiphone Les Paul custom by the way. I prefer my epiphone..

I have no intent to bash against Gibson at all. But you have to admit, for the price paid, they really should stop churning out the faulty models and still sell them as new. Like why not sell them as 2nds?
My final thought, go for an Epiphone TS, change the pickups, hardware, tuners (if need be) and the nut. Get it setup, keep it in good condition, and you'll have one hell of a guitar.
Quote by Moe.

My Epiphone knobs scratch my paint off so i had to replace them.
Quote by Moe.
Yeah, I can understand that.
But on an expensive (hand made) guitar you'd expect Gibson to have themselves pulled together.
And I don't think Lower end Gibsons are crap. There's bound to be some great lower end Gibsons out there, but for the money an Epiphone would be better.

I did try a low end Gibson next to my Epiphone Les Paul custom by the way. I prefer my epiphone..

I have no intent to bash against Gibson at all. But you have to admit, for the price paid, they really should stop churning out the faulty models and still sell them as new. Like why not sell them as 2nds?
My final thought, go for an Epiphone TS, change the pickups, hardware, tuners (if need be) and the nut. Get it setup, keep it in good condition, and you'll have one hell of a guitar.

Fair enough I say. When it comes to high end Epis against low end Gibsons it's mostly a matter of personal taste anyway.

Quote by JessicaGonzo
My Epiphone knobs scratch my paint off so i had to replace them.

I had the same problem with my Epi. Simply raising the knobs with a screwdriver did the trick. Takes twenty seconds per knob, costs nothing.
Quote by TheQuailman
Fair enough I say. When it comes to high end Epis against low end Gibsons it's mostly a matter of personal taste anyway.

Too true.