I think this is the right forum to ask this in, but if it isn't please correct me. I just randomly had this thought come to my head. What do people prefer when it comes to just everyday practicing, learning a cover of a song or write your own music? By cover I mean as just picking up you're guitar, searching for a tab of a song that you like and learning it. Or another one would be practicing new techniques most often? Or any others that you have idk those are just what come to mind. Just curious
Quote by vo2oad
I think this is the right forum to ask this in, but if it isn't please correct me. I just randomly had this thought come to my head. What do people prefer when it comes to just everyday practicing, learning a cover of a song or write your own music? By cover I mean as just picking up you're guitar, searching for a tab of a song that you like and learning it. Or another one would be practicing new techniques most often? Or any others that you have idk those are just what come to mind. Just curious

all of the above. Although rather than search the internet for tab, I prefer to put on the CD and figure it out myself.
all of the above. Although rather than search the internet for tab, I prefer to put on the CD and figure it out myself.

How do you listen to a cd to figure it out? That's never made sense to me cause I can never tell what tuning the bands in or any of that. Is there a lesson on here that explains how to do that basically? Or is it to hard to explain so I'm on my own?
I'm not cool enough to practice technique very often or learn by ear, so I usually either look up tabs or just make up my own stuff.
Quote by vo2oad
How do you listen to a cd to figure it out? That's never made sense to me cause I can never tell what tuning the bands in or any of that. Is there a lesson on here that explains how to do that basically? Or is it to hard to explain so I'm on my own?

it just takes experience. Learn and memorize a few songs 1st. If you need to learn them from tab thats cool, but eventually you will know enough to figure them out on your own. Its great ear training, and personally I find it more satisfying. it took me a couple of years of learning from others before I had a good enough ear to do it on my own.

Quote by AA00P
I'm not cool enough to practice technique very often or learn by ear, so I usually either look up tabs or just make up my own stuff.

LOL. well If you are enjoying it, theres nothing wrong with that. Everyone has different goals and different lifestyles. Do what makes sense for you.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 3, 2008,
it just takes experience. Learn and memorize a few songs 1st. If you need to learn them from tab thats cool, but eventually you will know enough to figure them out on your own. Its great ear training, and personally I find it more satisfying. it took me a couple of years of learning from others before I had a good enough ear to do it on my own.

Okay thanks! I'm gonna try doing that occasionally and hopefully get it down. Cause the bands that I enjoy arn't very big so theres no tabs for them on here so I wanna get that down eventually Thanks again though
Quote by vo2oad
Okay thanks! I'm gonna try doing that occasionally and hopefully get it down. Cause the bands that I enjoy arn't very big so theres no tabs for them on here so I wanna get that down eventually Thanks again though

NP

Yeah, it can't hurt to try. Even if you only figure out part of it, or can only get it close. its good for your ears. The more you do it the better you'll get at it. One thing you could try is taking some private lessons. Let a teacher figure it out for you at 1st. After a while when you know alot of songs, you'll be in a better position to figure them out yourself.