Hey,
I was just wondering if tubes (specifically power tubes) take time to "break in", like speakers do?
If so, do you think just leaving the amp running would do the trick, or do I actually have to play at high volumes or something?
Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yes, I do believe there is a such thing as tube break in and I'm gonna guess that you have to play them at a normal volume for a few hours to do so.
Alright, thanks.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
According to what I've heard, there is no such thing as tubes breaking in.
my amp is only tube preamp but i dont think it ever had to be "broke in"
Gear:
Jackson JS30 with emg 81/85 (bridge/neck)
Epiphone SG Special
Esteban Acoustic (won in a bet lol)
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Marshall AVT20
Quote by Metallicaxp
Remember to do your Daily Jerk, Never forget!
Quote by Dores
According to what I've heard, there is no such thing as tubes breaking in.

People have mixed opinions on whether or not there actually is such a thing.
alright, whatever.
I was just curious.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Geartrigger
People have mixed opinions on whether or not there actually is such a thing.

yeah, i was curious about this to as i will be doing it this summer and after a google shot i found all kinds of answers. i did find a place that looked legit and narrowed down to power tube break-in for guitar amps and still saw lots of diff responses.

it may depend on the type of power tube but here was the answer i liked best for what it's worth, again doesn't mean much as to all the varying responses.

NEVER Play Tube amps for continuos time when breaking in. This will cause the power and output to heat up and shift inside the lamination. It is best to use the amp the way you would normally

;
Alright. Thanks.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Krank does it in a since. They mentioned it in a video about break in but i dont think its like a speaker break in.. They are pretty much quality testing them before you get your hands on them.
I think I recall a thread about this. Something about there actually being a break in period, but that tube manufacturers handle that break in themselves (part of quality testing or something I think). Try the search for tubes breaking in or something?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
tnx Fama - i searched on here and didn't find much. the quote i found above was actually in relation to KT-88s if i remember. either way, the key i guess is too not leave the amp on for 2 weeks strait to see if it explodes like eddie van halen does. ha

play normally.

;
Are you seriously saying you should leave your amp on standby all night in order to burn in power tubes?

Quote by bartdevil_metal
Are you seriously saying you should leave your amp on standby all night in order to burn in power tubes?

Not the power tubes. The coating burns off the power tubes a lot quicker through just playing because they get so much heat and power. The preamp tubes don't get nearly power that the power tubes get and take a lot longer.
Quote by Say Ocean
Not the power tubes. The coating burns off the power tubes a lot quicker through just playing because they get so much heat and power. The preamp tubes don't get nearly power that the power tubes get and take a lot longer.

But surely you're wearing your power tubes while burning in the preamp ones.. Unless you're talking about pulling your power tubes and leaving your amp on standby?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
But surely you're wearing your power tubes while burning in the preamp ones.. Unless you're talking about pulling your power tubes and leaving your amp on standby?

Haha nooo definitely leave your tubes in there. If you just stick on standby all night, you're not going to burn out any tubes, and it'll break them in. After that, just playing normally will finish the job if they aren't already broken in.
I wouldn't leave the amp on standby all night. Might not do anything, but sure wasn't designed to do that.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by Say Ocean
Haha nooo definitely leave your tubes in there. If you just stick on standby all night, you're not going to burn out any tubes, and it'll break them in. After that, just playing normally will finish the job if they aren't already broken in.

I'm skeptical about your info. Can you direct me to a website or book, that supports your statements?
Quote by Say Ocean
Yeah they take a burning period. Just leave it on standby all night. They have a tiny coating on the cathode for storage or whatever purposes you have to burn off.
An electron is an electron, I can't see that making a difference?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Bah, forget it. I'll just play it normally.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Did you end up getting the new tubes then, Dark?
Quote by Fama
I wouldn't leave the amp on standby all night. Might not do anything, but sure wasn't designed to do that.

My amp's been left on standby for 5 hours and it was fine.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix

Yeah, I guess it won't do anything. But the thing is, I tend to be overly cautious with some things
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by timi_hendrix
Same, and on standby it basically just works as a lightbulb, it's only the tubes on, not the amp circuitry.
Quote by Fama
Yeah, I guess it won't do anything. But the thing is, I tend to be overly cautious with some things

Better safe than sorry! To be honest I'd be worried about it burning my house down
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
On a more serious matter:

MrCarrot, did you just change your avatar? Heresy!
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by MrCarrot
Did you end up getting the new tubes then, Dark?

I did, and it sounds spectacular.

With the sovteks, it was essentially a souped up peavey classic (I already have one, it actually had a similar tonality), but now with JJ's in, it's like an original super reverb but on steroids, and blessed by Eric Johnson and SRV. But, in purple tolex.

It's really a great amp now. I'll get up clips one of these days, once i'm home alone.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by The Real Ming
I'm skeptical about your info. Can you direct me to a website or book, that supports your statements?

I was just told this by an amp builder. He was hired to build a tube burner that held a ton of tubes for dougstubes.com or maybe the tubestore.com I forget.
i personally found a ton of info on audioasylum dot com. via google as i'm sure there are better sites yo,

seems consistant if there is such a thing....PLAY NORMALLY...no need to do anything special.

but WTF do i know?

;
There is such thing as tube burn-in. I am sure of that. Manufacturers burn their tubes in to an extent, but they don't run them at the voltages they encounter in your amp, for the most part. Playing normally will burn the tubes in just fine in about a week; leaving the amp in standby won't work since you're only applying AC to the heaters and no DC anywhere.
Leaving your amp on standby shouldn't hurt it. Heat doesn't wear out the tubes, its change of temperature that stresses them (turning on and off often). Obviously don't leave your amp on for a week straight though haha.
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Quote by Say Ocean
I was just told this by an amp builder. He was hired to build a tube burner that held a ton of tubes for dougstubes.com or maybe the tubestore.com I forget.

That was roccaforte amps, and it was for doug. Here's the bastard:
Quote by Roc8995
That was roccaforte amps, and it was for doug. Here's the bastard:

Holy...

I wonder what an actual amp with those many tubes would sound like (if it were indeed possible).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator