hey. i have a quick question about drums, cymbols more spesificly (sorry for the spelling).

how come sometimes their is an upside down cymbol, i'm not sure if that is suppose to make a different sound, or if it is just for looks. i did try it with my old crash, but i didn't hear anything, and it was also a first act.

furthermore, is their a noticible difference between the sound of a Peril, ddrum, yamaha, and mepex? i want a set that sounds good, and is also afordible ($900ish U.S. or less)
curently composes with Guitar Pro 5. amazing peace of software. i'd recomend it. and Samplitude recording studio.

myspace.com/somethingstarted
Well for one thing, First Act cymbals can't really be considered cymbals...they're sort of just metal that gets starters into drumming and stuff....so you wouldn't hear anything anyway because those cymbals are really beginner.

There isn't much of a difference in sound for cymbals except specialized/effect cymbals (such as china cymbals). How you put a cymbal can change the attack, sustain, and tone of the cymbal. This is actually harmful to regular cymbals such as crashes and rides, but with some effects cymbals (mainly china cymbals actually) this can offer a whole new sound.

I'd go with Pearl, simply because they ARE the best drums for the price, and in overall workmanship and quality.

And for 900 bucks, you could get yourself an amazing drumset from Pearl.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-VMX-Vision-Maple-Standard-Shell-Pack?sku=490848

Those are 100% maple shells, and the hardware quality is simply incredible.
TS, the upside down cymbal is called a china, and it's made that way, not just a standard crash or whatever turned upside down on the stand. And agree with Gitardud391, Pearl drums kill.
the ladies love when i gyrate my ass in front of a graveyard
ok. any ideas of what i should look for in a drum set. like the way it is build ect. any special type of wood or thing that holds the drum heads?

edit: that was the exact drum set i've been looking. but i've been admiring this one;
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pulse-Double-Bass-8-Piece-Drum-Set-with-Hardware?sku=445229

but i dont know if i'll be able to fit the hi-hat's near the snate so i dont have to reach over to far, but with it not in the way of the tom on the far left, but with me still able to do the double kicks (the two bass drums) with out leaning over and loosing posture.
curently composes with Guitar Pro 5. amazing peace of software. i'd recomend it. and Samplitude recording studio.

Last edited by something_start at May 3, 2008,
It matters what your looking for. What kind of music do you play? Cymbals, it basically goes like this Zildjians, Sabian, Meinl, everyone else. Thats a solid kit, but for a beginner I would go with one bass drum and a double bass pedal. Those are horrible for gigging and they are space consuming. I suggest either Zildjian ZBT's or Sabian Pro 8's for a startyer ( you WILL crack them! and you don;t want to crack a 150 dollar cymbal, Ive been there.)

Drumheads are held by drum lugs, there is a rim that goes over the head, and you tighten according to your like to keep the head secure and for its pitch.

The upside down cymbals are China/Chyna cymbals, they are very different then a crash or ride, very noisy. Usually either on a kit for a dead clank type sound or a ringing out sound.

I'm a big Tama supporter, I think Rockstar kits are the best bang for your buck or even the lower tama models, all of them are well made.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Last edited by GoodCharloteSux at May 3, 2008,
thanks, i did some more searching on the site and i found this one;
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=482383

i think i just wanted the double bass because i saw metallica with it. but anyways, i'm defently not a begginer, i can almost play a great amount of a7x songs (with the exeption of the 2xbass pedals because i dont own any) and i've been playing 4 years. i just need an outside answer. but along with that drum set maybe a few crashes and rides, yeah and also a china, although i dont want one with a houge bouishh sound, for cymbols i think i'll go to a music store and test them out but for the snare's and toms and bass i can tune them to my liking i guess.

Maybe you should invest in a little cheaper set and get some nicer cymbals (kits do not come with cymbals) I'd recommend something in the $600 range possible a Gretch ( I have not played one but they are supposed to be amazing for the price) then spend the rest of your money on a cymbal pack, just make sure to buy a brand name cymbal. Go check out the forums on http://www.drummerworld.com you will find lots of info there, and as far as pearl sets go I think they are a little overrated there are much better kits out there for the same price.

If you're looking for a higher priced kit I'd recommend a Sonor they are truly a step above the rest in every aspect. It is the kit that Danny Carey uses if you like Tool.

As for the double pedal take a look at the Yamaha direct drive, it's a different set up than most chain driven pedals but once you get used to it, you can play so fast it's like an extension of your foot.

And do not buy the Pulse, it may look like a deal but they are very beginner sets. Remember having two bass drums is not going to make it sound a whole lot better.
Last edited by TNA at May 6, 2008,
oh thanks so ****ing much TNA! i'm so glad you told me about that site, its a drummers paradice! haha thanks so much! any other drummers out there, go to that site!.

Yamaha Stage custom. Can be setup for all genres of music great sound. Mics well.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
if you have been playing four years then you should know what type of drumset you like. you shouldnt need to ask other people.
Quote by fattyrar7
if you have been playing four years then you should know what type of drumset you like. you shouldnt need to ask other people.

Wow! How about you give him a break, and stop being a dick. Was it really necessary to go and post that?

BTW, what kit did you end up getting/ going to get?
Yes it was, and i wasn't trying to be a dick i was just saying that as a fact. I was playing three or four years when i knew what type of drum set i wanted. It was either a Ludwig or a Pearl. I ended up getting a Jet black, Pearl Export-EX