Page 1 of 3
So here's the highest horsepower head bangin' rig for the money - THE WINNER IS - Bugera 6262 half stack US$699
Protone Body Rot US$114 or Boss Metal Core/Zone US$99
Boss GE-7 Graphic Equalizer US$99
Maxon OD808 US$135

Basically for $US1000 you can have a rig you can scare lions with. Metal SICKNESS!

Before you flame away, remember, this is on a budget.

The tone you will get from this will make anybody who's into metal the happiest camper on earth.

The stock lead distortion on the 6262 is assnine brutal.
Using theBody Rot, Metal Core/Zone and GE 7 on the clean channel will get you the best SS distortion out there. Bar none. Also acceptable in the place of the Metal Core would
be a Keeley modded Metal Zone.

I hope this helps somebody who wants the heaviest metal sound before they waste their money on anything (or junk, see Sprider III) that doesn't say Marshall, Mesa, Rivera, VHT, Bogner, Laney, etc:

THIS IS FOR NEW EQUIPMENT NOT USED.
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at May 5, 2008,
Hmm... How would you say the Bugera head compares to the Valveking head?
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard (Cherry finish)
Ibanez JS1000 (Black Pearl finish)

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Bugera 333XL Head (Coming Soon)
Avatar G212H Special (Coming Soon)
Crate FW15R
Dude, with a Bugehringer you shouldn't need a boss metal core pedal.
Whoa, I just saved you 100 bucks!
Signatures are overrated.
Valvekings after some modding are very good. But if you start exchanging parts from above you're going over the budget and changing the finished sound. I started this thread basically for poor(er) kids who want a sick and brutal metal rig so they won't buy a ****ty Spider III or Marshall MG first.
Quote by Moe.

Just what I was thinking.
Quote by Moe.

Wrong Moe. Get me a duff please.

I included the Metal Core because for the clean channel it produces a more modern Metal sound than the straight out Slayerish sound of the Lead channel kranked. It covers ALL the bases. It is a COMPLETE METAL RIG. (You may add other effects to your personal liking of course, like a Chorus, Delay, etc

Also, the Metal Core has a nice Noise supressor/noisegate? built into it and the Burgera head seems to REALLY like it with the GE-7. Again, covering the modern sound...
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at May 3, 2008,
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Valvekings after some modding are very good. But if you start exchanging parts from above you're going over the budget and changing the finished sound. I started this thread basically for poor(er) kids who want a sick and brutal metal rig so they won't buy a ****ty Spider III or Marshall MG first.

What kind of modding? Is it just a tube change yer thinking?
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard (Cherry finish)
Ibanez JS1000 (Black Pearl finish)

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Bugera 333XL Head (Coming Soon)
Avatar G212H Special (Coming Soon)
Crate FW15R
Quote by The Hummingbird
What kind of modding? Is it just a tube change yer thinking?

Yes, tubes. Valvekings are good heads though. I'm not sure about for Brutal metal though. It's been a while since I heard one.
Both those pedals suck.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Looks good to me, but definitely ditch the Metal Core - what you want is an overdrive, not a mediocre distortion pedal .

For OD, I'd recommend the Digitech Bad Monkey ($50), it's cheap, pwns, and the green paint looks sweet .
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Wrong Moe. Get me a duff please.

I included the Metal Core because for the clean channel it produces a more modern Metal sound than the straight out Slayerish sound of the Lead channel kranked. It covers ALL the bases. It is a COMPLETE METAL RIG. (You may add other effects to your personal liking of course, like a Chorus, Delay, etc

Also, the Metal Core has a nice Noise supressor/noisegate? built into it and the Burgera head seems to REALLY like it with the GE-7. Again, covering the modern sound...

No, Moe's not wrong!
Honestly, buying a pedal when you don't need it is stupid.
If the person buying this needed one pedal, it'd be a Tube screamer or a Sd-1 to tighten up the sound. None of this digital cover up distortion crap.
With that 100 dollars saved you could purchase new tubes also, which is more of a necessity than a distortion pedal.
I run both an SD-1 and my own take on a TS. It=perfection for melodic modern metal and death metal
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
screw the distortion pedal. Its a pos imo.

Pop an od pedal infront, activate it on the amps od and you will get a more modern tight sound.. But imo that od is tight enough.
Quote by False_God
screw the distortion pedal. Its a pos imo.

Pop an od pedal infront, activate it on the amps od and you will get a more modern tight sound.. But imo that od is tight enough.

This.
/Thread.
ok ok. Some of you guys wanna hate the Metal Core because it's a "metal pedal". Fine. BUT It doesn't suck. It sounds KICK ASS on the clean the channel of the Bugera. I implore you to LISTEN to it. But you do need the GE 7 to boost the mids because it doesn't have a mid boost. This pedal also allows you to get a good tone to play quietly in the house/bedroom. You can't play at a low acceptable volume on the lead channel. It goes straight from quiet to Reign in Blood. Trust me, leave the pedals alone. They serve a purpose.
That pedal might sound good to you, but it sure as hell doesn't sound good to others.
It's a crap pedal, face the facts.
That 100 dollars is a waste of money buying a pedal like that. And if you're worried about bedroom practicing, why buy a 120watt tube combo in the first place?
Quote by DiMeTiMe
The ValveKing can get pretty heavy, just listen here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VywlVf3lE1s&feature=related

I'll admit, that does sound good. I am in NO WAY disrespecting ANY other amplifier in this thread or saying any other amp can't do metal like what I laid out. I'm just saying the set up I've listed is the biggest bang for your buck in the metal catergory. Nothing more, nothing less.
Quote by Moe.
That pedal might sound good to you, but it sure as hell doesn't sound good to others.
It's a crap pedal, face the facts.
That 100 dollars is a waste of money buying a pedal like that. And if you're worried about bedroom practicing, why buy a 120watt tube combo in the first place?

Thanks for donating your opinion Moe. Do you even play/listen to metal??
Quote by TheEsupremacy
ok ok. Some of you guys wanna hate the Metal Core because it's a "metal pedal". Fine. BUT It doesn't suck. It sounds KICK ASS on the clean the channel of the Bugera. I implore you to LISTEN to it. But you do need the GE 7 to boost the mids because it doesn't have a mid boost. This pedal also allows you to get a good tone to play quietly in the house/bedroom. You can't play at a low acceptable volume on the lead channel. It goes straight from quiet to Reign in Blood. Trust me, leave the pedals alone. They serve a purpose.

Lol

Do you even know anything about tube amps?
You have a high gain tube amp - you want to use a ****ty analog distortion pedal....on the clean channel!!!
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Thanks for donating your opinion Moe.

Oh, anytime.
And Dimetimes got a point.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Lol

You have a high gain tube amp - you want to use a ****ty analog distortion pedal....on the clean channel!!!

Yes, I know tube amps a little, and have friends that know them a LOT. The Metal Core is not ****ty. I don't care what you say. It's an opinion and I'm not budging. Just because it's "hip and cool" to hate metal pedals doesn't mean I'm joining the sheep. I'm just trying to help kids cover the bases on tone, it does it job. PERIOD.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Lol

Yep, just get a good OD and an EQ.

You don't need a distortion pedal, you already have a good amp with a good preamp/OD, alls it needs is a little push, and if need be, a good EQ tweaking palette, via some pedal, which would benefit your tone much more than some sub standard sound processor produced by Boss.
Dude, it may do it's job, but an OD does the distortions job 10 times over and still has enough win to wipe the floor with the Metal core pedal.

If you want brutal on a budget..

Randall RG50tc/Bugera 333 or 6260 or 6262/Peavey valveking And an OD.
It's as simple as that.
Wow tons of Boss pedal hate. I still think it sounds kick ass and WILL NOT remove it from my suggestions. Again, I KNOW there are better pedals and AMPS out there. This thread was meant to help. Not be a Boss pedal bashing thread. Jesus...
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Wow tons of Boss pedal hate. I still think it sounds kick ass and WILL NOT remove it from my suggestions. Again, I KNOW there are better pedals and AMPS out there. This thread was meant to help. Not be a Boss pedal bashing thread. Jesus...

Boss pedals aren't getting bashed.
Distortion pedals are.
Quote by TheEsupremacy

Its not hate, it's alright, but not in the context in which you intend to use it.
As Moe and I stated, a good OD would do the job you want 10x over compared to the MetalCore.
Quote by Moe.
Dude, it may do it's job, but an OD does the distortions job 10 times over and still has enough win to wipe the floor with the Metal core pedal.

If you want brutal on a budget..

Randall RG50tc/Bugera 333 or 6260 or 6262/Peavey valveking And an OD.
It's as simple as that.

Again, the pedals serve a purpose. If you don't like them. That is fine. Move to another thread Moe. We've got your point.
The only thing the Metalcore is good for is making that Bugera sound like a chainsaw...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by TheEsupremacy

Dude, it's not hate, it's just that you're trying to use the Metal Whore in the wrong way. For most Metal Whore owners, it makes their shitty solid state practice amp bearable for distortion tones.
Last edited by DiMeTiMe at May 3, 2008,
Ok ok to appease everybody who's complaining drop Metal Core and add Maxon OD808. Problem solved. Geesh.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
The only thing the Metalcore is good for is making that Bugera sound like a chainsaw...

Wow, you just made me realize tone is VERY subjective. Maybe you're thinking of like a SS half stack or something? it sure in the hell doesn't sound like a chainsaw on my amp????
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Wow, you just made me realize tone is VERY subjective. Maybe you're thinking of like a SS half stack or something? it sure in the hell doesn't sound like a chainsaw on my amp????

Since I can't tell if you being sarcastic or not, I will give you a dignified response. I would personally think that a SS distortion pedal would make any amp sound like a chainsaw.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by TheEsupremacy

Record some clips and we'll let UG be the judge of that.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Ok ok to appease everybody who's complaining drop Metal Core and add Maxon OD808. Problem solved. Geesh.

That'll be better .

Do you already have the amp, or is this just your plan?
To defend the guy a bit he stated in the first post "Using the Metal Core and GE 7 on the clean channel will get you the best SS distortion out there. " So he already knows what the thing sounds like and the fact it sounds like a chainsaw. Some people like that tone from time to time. Thats one reason i purchased my Randall, its nice to break away and just get that shearing buzzsaw type of tone. Which is his point, he is just cheaply covering his basis. Also not all bands use tube amps, i know its hard to believe but its true and has been confirmed... lol

So who cares that he owns a metal core, hell im sure everyone has owned a piece of gear that has been flamed before in some form or another.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 3, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
To defend the guy a bit he stated in the first post "Using the Metal Core and GE 7 on the clean channel will get you the best SS distortion out there. " So he already knows what the thing sounds like and the fact it sounds like a chainsaw. Some people like that tone from time to time. Thats one reason i purchased my Randall, its nice to break away and just get that shearing buzzsaw type of tone. Which is his point, he is just cheaply covering his basis. Also not all bands use tube amps, i know its hard to believe but its true and has been confirmed... lol

So who cares that he owns a metal core, hell im sure everyone has owned a piece of gear that has been flamed before in some form or another.

OMG THANK YOU! Exactly!!! My mistake was I should have added the overdrive to the original post. I do like a solid statey distortion sometimes, that's all that I meant. I wasn't saying the Metal Core was like the be all end all or anything like that. I just think it sounds "cool" with the Boss EQ. Definately add the overdrive and I think I'll get chilled on yes, this is my exact set up for METAL. Strictly brutal metal. And it works. I just need that Maxon overdrive to call it complete. Sorry to all those that didn't really understand what I meant in the beginning.
^ lol you're funny
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Page 1 of 3