I've got a summer plus next fall to start getting ready for my electronic engineering senior design class. I plan on building a 2 channel tube amp with at least a 3 band eq and maybe and effect or two. I may even go through all the trouble of making each channel a separate amp. I have to make the design complex enough so my professors will pass the design, but I can't make it so complicated that I will not finish it in one semester.

I have seen some great builds on here and wanted to see if i could get some help from the community. I've read a lot of webpages and forums about amps over the past few weeks and have all summer to tinker.

So, any advise you guys can give me? Anything will help, like things you learned as you built your first tube amp, good websites, or any things to watch out for. I get all my electronic supplies online.

Thanks, and look forward to a good discussion on here!
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
ok so heres my idea for your project

make a two channel amp each channel i diffrent amp

to impress your professor make a switch that swaps the amps in to the cab while playing
do you get what im saying? add this to a footswitch and maby u got something here.
another idea would be to be able to blend these diffrent amps together like tone and volume of 2 humbuckers, just like conture
Quote by jakewynnrocks
marshall has half stacks for only 600, but i dont know if theyre any good. seems like a good deal....
i dont know for sure, but it seams like as long as you have some sort of built in effects circuitry it should appear complicated enough to pass, maybe just include some sort of gain channel and do like leadhead said, maybe figure out if you can add a reverb or tremelo function. good luck, i dont know much about amp building but i learn more with every person like you who posts their build!
I've been checking out DIYguitarist.com and other of these types of sites and have a few schematics to look at. Maybe I'll make a solid state amp and a tube amp in one. I could have a switch to use the preamp of the tube amp to drive a solid state amp for metal tones and all tube for more of a fender overdrive approach. That would be the best of both worlds.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
If your looking at designing your own amp then i would suggest taking a look at the articles on Aiken Amplification. I used them to help design the amp that I will be building later this summer. Duncan Amplification has some useful tools such as a tube data sheet database, an interactive tone stack calculator and other things. AX84 will more than likely be much more help than this forum will be. I can help somewhat with circuit design. My best advice is to take a look at older amp schematics and try to understand how they work. This coupled with the Aiken Amplification articles should give you a good understanding.
Quote by XgamerGt04
If your looking at designing your own amp then i would suggest taking a look at the articles on Aiken Amplification. I used them to help design the amp that I will be building later this summer. Duncan Amplification has some useful tools such as a tube data sheet database, an interactive tone stack calculator and other things. AX84 will more than likely be much more help than this forum will be. I can help somewhat with circuit design. My best advice is to take a look at older amp schematics and try to understand how they work. This coupled with the Aiken Amplification articles should give you a good understanding.

Thanks, thats the exact info I was fishing for. I found Aiken after snooping around on DIYguitarist. I'll take a deeper look there and start finding other forums to post on too.

Thanks again
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
ok lets start with a basic head

its a ss
then add a tube head
connect the outputs of the amps to a 3 way switch so it would be like the pickups on a guitar you can select one amp at a time or both

as for the imput you would need to do the same thing and connect the 3 way switches

i would use two amps kits that are basic and make the casing for it dont put it in their cases it might be a bigger head but that will be fine post some of the goals you want 2 meet on this project because building a amp isnt goning to get you a good grade
Quote by jakewynnrocks
marshall has half stacks for only 600, but i dont know if theyre any good. seems like a good deal....
How much money do you have to spend on this?
Are you wanting to build a head or a combo?
I realize you have to impress your proffesors but what you want it to sound like is important too. What do you want each chanel to do?
What effects do you think you want?

Answer these questions and we will be able to better stear you in the right direction.
Not taking any online orders.
he has a cab and ya its goning to cost alot of money
Quote by jakewynnrocks
Quote by Leadhead3225
he has a cab and ya its goning to cost alot of money

Not necessarily, with the design that i am going to be prototyping this summer i will be spending just about 500 dollars total, including cab and speakers. Even though the amp is only 32 watts it has many features not found in anything but boutique amps, so I'm saving well over 1000 dollars.

Also if this is for a senior design project you may be able to talk with some of the manufacturers of parts and possibly get them to donate some. If you have any teacher on campus that works in restoring electronics as part of a campus project then talk to them.

Another suggestion I have is that if you know how to design them, custom wound transformers would also be a very nice addition to the project. Hell if you know how to design them point me in the right direction.
Last edited by XgamerGt04 at May 4, 2008,
free bump
Quote by jakewynnrocks