Does the pick .mm really make a difference in playing?
(besides sound differentials)
well, for instance, playing something fast with a floppy pick makes no sense, as does playing something soft and smooth with a heavy pick. it's common sense.
:
BC Rich Bronze Warlock
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender CD-SCE140 Acoustic Electric
1962 Guild MKIII Classical
Thinner picks produce less opposing force when plucking the string because they bend more, so thinner picks are easier to play with. However, this increase in resistance can be compensated for by playing closer or further away from the bridge, effectively increasing/reducing string tension and thus making it harder/easier to pluck.

Playing with too little opposing force can make things harder though, as this makes it harder to pluck accurately, so I suppose one has to find a suitable balance.

EDIT: Basically, I find that the following applies:
Thinner picks require more dexterity because they bend more.
Thicker picks require more strength because they move through the strings less agreeably.
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at May 3, 2008,
I find pinch harmonics, sweeps, etc. to be easier with a mid-heavy pick rather than a thin one. Also I guess you can pick and strum faster with a thicker pick since it doesnt bend as much.
yes.
thicker picks are better for solos/ lead type stuff.
thinner is better for strumming stuff.
personal preference plays a role too.
a bit thicker is better for fast leads. a stiffer pick makes it easier to hit the very tip of the pick consistently. thinner picks offer less accuracy but makes it easier to plow through the strings, so they're good for strumming.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Thicker is better 99% of the time.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
depends a lot on what you play
i play metal and am happy with .73mm tortex picks
go buy like one of each and test them out
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Thin picks suck... IMO. I use the yellow dunlop pick with the turtle on it (i have no idea what size they are). I play punk and post hardcore so i need something thick for down strokes.
Quote by JessicaGonzo
Thin picks suck... IMO. I use the yellow dunlop pick with the turtle on it (i have no idea what size they are). I play punk and post hardcore so i need something thick for down strokes.

Those are the Dunlop Tortex picks, which I use as well, and I think are very good. The yellows are .73 mm.
I also find the material a factor too.

I have a 0.60mm regular plastic pick which is a lot bendy-er than the same thickness tortex pick. So the tortex one feels thicker even though it's the same thickness.
^ I agree.
I prefer 1mm tortex picks, just for pure playing ability. I find the type of music I like to play along to, and soloing, thinner picks are harder to control, as they do like to bend.

I prefer the tortex material just for the fact its easy to use.
Been away, am back