Page 1 of 3
alright so last night i was out at game stop....

and this guy baught his 7yr old kid GTA4

a 7yr old kid... with gta4...
NOW...
i'm not going to be all bitchy or w/e but...

imo thats bad parenting... (yeah i know i'm dumb for going to the pit wif this but still lol i'm bored..)

what do you guys (girls) think?
I read an article a guy wrote saying he would get his 7 year old girl GTA4.
You know why?
Because he's going to make them spend time outside, and not sit on her ass all day playing videogames.
Who cares?
I think that he was really buying it for himself.
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
Im not even close to being a dad but i cannot see a 7 yr old even asking for GTA so why the hell would the guy buy it, i probably wouldnt buy for anyone under 13.....From what ive gotten from it its quite sexual this time around.
Quote by Beware!Criminal
I think that maybe he was really buying it for himself.

Yeah, but if not... Oh well maybe playing it with his son?

Still pretty bad though.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
i wouldent let my child play a game like that.
its been proven that agressive entertainment increases agresive behavior.
and im a pacifist
How do I change my sig?
why shouldnt a 7 year old play GTA? nothing wrong with that! id rather see a child play this **** than the sims or any other similar crap
I can vouch for GTA, been playing it since Wednesday, everyday (it's an addiction!). All that I can say is that a 7 year old SHOULD NOT be playing that game. There's a strip club with scantily clad girls. You can screw around with hookers and girlfriends (both of which you can hear them getting "excited"). And it is incredibly violent. There is blood left and right, and the swearing doesn't help either. You can't go 10 sec without some kind of profanity. The most video game violence I got when I was 7 was jumping on Goombas and hunting ducks. It's an all around terrible idea.
Get a Carvin. Do it.
Quote by dylpikle9
I read an article a guy wrote saying he would get his 7 year old girl GTA4.
You know why?
Because he's going to make them spend time outside, and not sit on her ass all day playing videogames.

Who cares?

Smart man.
Quote by timesharescam
i wouldent let my child play a game like that.
its been proven that agressive entertainment increases agresive behavior.
and im a pacifist

By whom?
yeah, considering this GTA is more worthy of an 18 certificate than any other I'd say it's bad parenting

My mom didn't like my brother buying that game.

And he's 20.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Dirge Humani
Smart man.

By whom?

JAAAACK THOMPSON fool!...
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
hey i've got nothing against the game or anything but honestly i dont get why a parent would buy it for there kid that's already so young anyway..
I think you should stop being a judgemental douche and let the man raise his kid.

Seriously. Aside from bringing one more violence-desensitized American in the world, how does that affect you one iota?
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Who cares, it's just a video game.
They'll see that kind of stuff eventually.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Metallica rulz
Bull..... All lies.

But still 7 is too young. 12-13 yrs old should be the cut off, it's not like they don't know whats going on by that point....

Look it up in a scientific journal, there's been plenty of studies that show that violent video games increase aggression and desensitization to violence.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by thsrayas
Look it up in a scientific journal, there's been plenty of studies that show that violent video games increase aggression and desensitization to violence.

Please link to one of these, I'd like to see who did the studies and who funded them.
for god sakes by the time he hits 11 he will know every swear word under the sun, he'll know what drugs are and what they do to you, he'll know what sex is, and he probably will have lost his virginity by then at the rate america is going. you know why, because that other 7 year old kid with lots of money and parents who don't give a **** will buy the game and tell everyone exactly what he sees/hears. you can't stop the enevitable so don't bother.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by Sleaze Disease

Listen to this man.
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA _D
_RAD IO HEA D
Quote by thsrayas

Yep. Cause today's busy working parent can't be bothered by pointless endevours like, y'know, parenting. Nothing like a s***-ton of violence without any context to make the news more interesting.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Dirge Humani
Please link to one of these, I'd like to see who did the studies and who funded them.

fficial&hs=Jwp&resnum=0&q=violent%20video%20games&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=ws">fficial&hs=Jwp&resnum=0&q=violent%20video%20games&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=ws">http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&hs=Jwp&resnum=0&q=violent%20video%20games&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=ws

Take your pick.

Quote by Garou1911
Yep. Cause today's busy working parent can't be bothered by pointless endevours like, y'know, parenting. Nothing like a s***-ton of violence without any context to make the news more interesting.

Yeah, because there's constant swearing, blood and beating up hookers on the news.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by Sleaze Disease

Because a child's brain is like a sponge. They absorb things easily. Monkey see a ***** getting a cap in her ass, monkey put cap in a *****'s ass.....
Get a Carvin. Do it.
im more against the whole age thing on video games but GTA for a 7 y/o? No. Maybe 13-14. I wouldnt mind buying a game like that for my kid, but at 7 that cant be a good idea
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
Quote by thsrayas
Yeah, because there's constant swearing, blood and beating up hookers on the news.

Maybe not, but you're talking about the affect of seeing those things in young people. I'm saying if parents did their freakin' jobs and made their kids understand that it's only pixels and real people don't do that, all the studies in the world would be invalidated.

Yeah, let's not instruct our kids on the ways of the world, let's just sheild them from it and regulate the f**k out of everything we find remotely objectionable.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Garou1911

Maybe not, but you're talking about the affect of seeing those things in young people. I'm saying if parents did their freakin' jobs and made their kids understand that it's only pixels and real people don't do that, all the studies in the world would be invalidated.

Yeah, let's not instruct our kids on the ways of the world, let's just sheild them from it and regulate the f**k out of everything we find remotely objectionable.

I agree with you, more blame should be put on the parents. But come on, how many people's parents sit there and watch their kid play violent games and say "now this doesn't happen in real life, and this isn't ok to do".
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
I agree with you, more blame should be put on the parents. But come on, how many people's parents sit there and watch their kid play violent games and say "now this doesn't happen in real life, and this isn't ok to do".

Not nearly enough, as evidenced by your studies.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Garou1911
Not nearly enough, as evidenced by your studies.

And that's the point. Children shouldn't have access to violent video games without their parents monitoring what they're doing because it causes an increase in aggression. And it isn't only the parents fault, there are plenty of stores that sell "Mature" games to children under 17. Violent games aren't the only thing to blame because parents, stores, etc. should be responsible for what children are exposed to, but there is a point when it gets ridiculous (ex: GTA).
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
I think that at age 13 a child should be aloud to play it. NO younger. Around the age of 13 people mature and know wat not to say in public, and what is wrong and what is right. However a 7yr. old who plays that game might end up cursing in front of parents and teachers,
Quote by number52
I think that at age 13 a child should be aloud to play it. NO younger. Around the age of 13 people mature and know wat not to say in public, and what is wrong and what is right. However a 7yr. old who plays that game might end up cursing in front of parents and teachers,

Yeah, they START to mature, but they're not even close to it. I know people who are in their 20s that I wouldn't consider mature yet. Sure there might be a few mature 13 year olds, but they're not the majority. I'm sure they understand the violence portion of games like GTA, but I'm sure they don't completely understand sex and sexism. Not to mention I know several people that started swearing like crazy when Vice City came out.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
And that's the point. Children shouldn't have access to violent video games without their parents monitoring what they're doing because it causes an increase in aggression. And it isn't only the parents fault, there are plenty of stores that sell "Mature" games to children under 17. Violent games aren't the only thing to blame because parents, stores, etc. should be responsible for what children are exposed to, but there is a point when it gets ridiculous (ex: GTA).

Why is it the responsability of the guy making $9 an hour at GameStop or w/e to police what children play? Bottom line, parent's are ultimately responsable for how their kids turn out. Not GameStop, not GTA, the parents. Everyone wants to point a finger but nobody's willing to admit that maybe they should be more involved in their offspring.

I'm sorry, I know I won't sway your opinion, but I'm calling bulls**t
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Sleaze Disease

they will? last i checked, your average joe doesnt screw hookers. or kill people.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by p o e
they will? last i checked, your average joe doesnt screw hookers. or kill people.

I said SEE it, not DO it...
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Garou1911
Why is it the responsability of the guy making $9 an hour at GameStop or w/e to police what children play?

Because it's the law. They're legally supposed to check ID and make sure that the person buying the game is at least 17.

Quote by Garou1911
Bottom line, parent's are ultimately responsable for how their kids turn out. Not GameStop, not GTA, the parents. Everyone wants to point a finger but nobody's willing to admit that maybe they should be more involved in their offspring.

And I agree with you, but parents can't monitor what they're children are doing 24/7. And if they did their child would be really screwed up (probably more than if their parents didn't monitor them at all) and dependent on their parents.

EDIT:
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I said SEE it, not DO it...

I have never seen anybody beat up a hooker, smash random old lady's faces in with a baseball bat for no reason, swear non-stop as they walk down the street, shoot at other gangstas while riding on a bike, blow up cop cars with a rocket launcher, or steal a helicopter and fly it into a building, except for in GTA.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Last edited by thsrayas at May 4, 2008,
An update on the effects of playing violent video games

Craig A. Anderson,

Department of Psychology, W112 Lagomarcino Hall, Iowa State University, Ames 50011-3180, USA

Received 30 October 2003; accepted 30 October 2003. ; Available online 24 December 2003.

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

Abstract
This article presents a brief overview of existing research on the effects of exposure to violent video games. An updated meta-analysis reveals that exposure to violent video games is significantly linked to increases in aggressive behaviour, aggressive cognition, aggressive affect, and cardiovascular arousal, and to decreases in helping behaviour. Experimental studies reveal this linkage to be causal. Correlational studies reveal a linkage to serious, real-world types of aggression. Methodologically weaker studies yielded smaller effect sizes than methodologically stronger studies, suggesting that previous meta-analytic studies of violent video games underestimate the true magnitude of observed deleterious effects on behaviour, cognition, and affect.

Journal of Adolescence
Volume 27, Issue 1, February 2004, Pages 113-122

How's that for a specfic reference?...
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by pogo the clown
alright so last night i was out at game stop....

and this guy baught his 7yr old kid GTA4

a 7yr old kid... with gta4...
NOW...
i'm not going to be all bitchy or w/e but...

imo thats bad parenting... (yeah i know i'm dumb for going to the pit wif this but still lol i'm bored..)

what do you guys (girls) think?

Makes me wonder why your parents are like, seeing as how your user name is based off John Wayne Gacy and all. Personally, I think these are things I think kids should be exposed to at somewhat early ages so they can properly be taught the difference between reality and fantasy. And so they have a sense of choosing what they want to do. Like with scary movies. I could show a kid a scary movie and explain to him that its just entertainment, he wouldn't be scared of monsters under his bed because he'll understand that they're just make up. I think the idea that kids are going to grow up to be gangsters because they played a video game that showed it is ridiculous. Its the same idea that a kid is going to grow up and think he's a giant purple dinosaur, and be nice to everyone he meets because he watched Barney.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Page 1 of 3