Hey guys,

After debating whether or not I wanted to give it a shot, about a month and a week ago I started guitar. I went out with my buddy who has been playing for probably about a year and a half, two years now and we decided that I would go with an Ibanez GRG170DX and Peavey rage 258.
I'm currently pretty satisfied with this combo, I love the feel and sound of this guitar but I'm just not experienced enough to have a proper understanding of how to make the amp produce the sound that I'm looking for. I know there must be a lot of people on this board who either have this amp or a similar one or who are knowledgeable enough about amps in general so that I can get some help.
I've only been playing songs from bands I listen to at the moment; I'm just not experienced enough with the instrument and haven't had any other background that would help me make my own stuff. Here's where my amp problem comes. I've so far done stuff from The Used, Saosin, blink-182, Nine Inch Nails, The Killers, and a little bit of some metal bands like all that remains (not the easiest stuff for a beginner, i know, can't blame me for wanting to give it a shot though).
So since all these bands have a pretty different sound, I was wondering which settings you all recommended that I use when trying to play their stuff. I know every song sounds different but each band usually has a sound that can usually be heard to some degree in there work and any guidance in the right direction for any of the mentioned bands or even just for genres in general would be much appreciated. The knobs on my amp are: clean volume, pre-gain, post-gain, a switch for stack/modern/vintage, and then an equalizer with low, mid, high. My guitar just has one tone knob and volume knob for it's h/s/h set up.

Thanks a lot in advance, any help would be appreciated!
I have that amp, and the tone is bad, no matter how much fiddling with the settings you do... I only use it as a headphone amp. If you want something that'll give you good tone, get a tube amp.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"