lately i've been trying to improve the speed of my playing (i know that speed isn't everything, but in metal it is undeniably important). I've been playing scales at increasing tempos with a metronome (okay, Guitar Pro, but it's the same thing). Is there anything else that i should be doing, or any particular songs that are good for picking up speed (preferably metal).

Anyway, onto the blister portion of the thread. When i play for over two hours or so, my plucking fingers start to hurt. if i play for about four or so in a day then i usually get a blister, which isn't the most comfortable thing. i've been playing for two years, so i thought i'd have a resistance by now, but it really doesn't seem like i do. is there anything i can do to let myself play for longer? and also, will wearing bandaids on my plucking fingers help in the short term? or will it mess up my tone too much/ make it harder to play or something?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
wow alotta stuff here
1) dont dont be a slave to tempo the worst thing you can do is force yourself to be in a rigid set, some of the best things you can do defy tempo.
2) dont keep bandaids on for long, they help you keep going in the short term but you have to take them off soon enough cause you gotta build up stamina (on your finger pads)
3) if you wanna truly get faster just keep practicing it takes time
Quote by afratmdk
wow alotta stuff here
1) dont dont be a slave to tempo the worst thing you can do is force yourself to be in a rigid set, some of the best things you can do defy tempo.

Care to explain?
Quote by afratmdk
wow alotta stuff here
2) dont keep bandaids on for long, they help you keep going in the short term but you have to take them off soon enough cause you gotta build up stamina (on your finger pads)
3) if you wanna truly get faster just keep practicing it takes time

i'm not just focusing on speed, but (as i said in the first post) it's an undeniably important aspect of playing metal. for instance, in songs like Kill Your Mother, Rape Your Dog (Dying Fetus) or I Cum Blood (Cannibal Corpse, as if it needs an introduction on an internet forum) i have trouble keeping up with the faster parts. while i can play sixteenth notes at a decent tempo, anything above 160 fast becomes a problem, which as a bassist who primarily plays death metal, is a very bad thing. also, when me and my step brother write music i have to try and keep up with his double picking (i have no idea what the technical term would be, but it's the thing with the up stroke and down stroke, and it's damn fast).

as to the bandaid part, so it would be fine to wear it after i've been playing for a while or if my fingers are already in pain? cause it gets annoying to have to stop if i still have the whole day to sit around and want to learn a song or something.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
A tip is to divide up your practice time.
Don't just practice for an hour or 2 hours straight.
Practice 20-30 minutes and then take a break of 20-30 min. then repeat. During the break you can listen to music, relax, read up on stuff, whatever.
This way is much more effective. You wont develope blisters as easily, you don't get burned out, your technique developes quite a bit faster, you avoid injury to your hands and fingers, and you can expand your mind with break time.
All wins pretty much.

Love the Low end
Quote by afratmdk
wow alotta stuff here

Boooo! this makes little sense, seeing as rythm is one of the more important things in music. playing off rythm is reserved only for those who have mastered rythm.

as for the speed: practice

blisters: not much you can do, its not the end of the world if you take a day off. superglue is a bad idea though........stuff stays on forever and takes your callouses with it. callouses are never constant, they change all the time, we all have to deal with blisters =/
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
To build speed, play scales to a metronome. Slowly at first, only going up a few bpm when you have them perfect every time at the previous tempo. Over time, you will slowly gain the coordination and speed for higher tempos. A song to work on at the same time would be Scarified, by Racer X.

When you get blister, keep playing. Don't burst the blisters or take the skin off. Eventually, playing on these blisters will cause the layer of skin on the top of the blister to form a nice thick calluse.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
To build speed, play scales to a metronome. Slowly at first, only going up a few bpm when you have them perfect every time at the previous tempo. Over time, you will slowly gain the coordination and speed for higher tempos. A song to work on at the same time would be Scarified, by Racer X.

When you get blister, keep playing. Don't burst the blisters or take the skin off. Eventually, playing on these blisters will cause the layer of skin on the top of the blister to form a nice thick calluse.

hmm, that's a good idea. i've never tried just playing through them. i popped one once and just assumed, 'playing with a blister=popped blister'. i've actually never heard Racer X, but i'm getting a few songs now (including Sacrificed).

and as for superglue, why the hell would you put that on your fingers? it sounds painful and ineffective, and very painful.
Quote by The Evil Hat
and as for superglue, why the hell would you put that on your fingers? it sounds painful and ineffective, and very painful.

if you read through the other countless blister threads, you'd be surprised how much that one comes up lol
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by The Evil Hat
i'm not just focusing on speed, but (as i said in the first post) it's an undeniably important aspect of playing metal. for instance, in songs like Kill Your Mother, Rape Your Dog (Dying Fetus) or I Cum Blood (Cannibal Corpse, as if it needs an introduction on an internet forum) i have trouble keeping up with the faster parts. while i can play sixteenth notes at a decent tempo, anything above 160 fast becomes a problem, which as a bassist who primarily plays death metal, is a very bad thing. also, when me and my step brother write music i have to try and keep up with his double picking (i have no idea what the technical term would be, but it's the thing with the up stroke and down stroke, and it's damn fast).

as to the bandaid part, so it would be fine to wear it after i've been playing for a while or if my fingers are already in pain? cause it gets annoying to have to stop if i still have the whole day to sit around and want to learn a song or something.

semiquavers at 160's pretty damn fast IMO, btw, it's alternate picking you're talking about, anyway, once your blisters have gone down it should leave you with a callous which will stop it blistering to an extent, i think once it has blistered you shouldnt play too much so as to let it heal itself and for the callous to form
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.