Page 1 of 2
Starting a forum to see what guitarist out there has inspired you to pick up the 6 string and show you a new way of life. I have a few...

3) Buckethead
2) Jimi Hendrix
1) Jimmy Page

Please dont bash people for their inspirations, because no matter how we look at it, we all have one thing in common, WE LOVE THE GUITAR!
When The Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, that is when the world will be at peace --Jimi Hendrix

The roads of hell are paved with good intentions
A lot of my inspirations for my metal techniques center around these artists:

John Petrucci
Paul Gilbert
Lamb of God
Jason Becker
Megadeth
Metallica
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Nile
Necrophagist
Behemoth
Amon Amarth
In Flames
Michael Amott
Dimebag
Zakk Wylde

As for my overall influences:

Agalloch
Steve Vai
Andy Timmons
Guthrie Govan
Opeth
Pink Floyd

I play a lot of Lamb of God-esque riffs, but I play with a more pure Death Metal feel similar to Nile, but my solos are usually shred, and because I listen to so much Agalloch, Opeth, and Vai and David Gilmour I play a lot of folk stuff and have a sort of bluesy, extravagent tone to my lead work in the more mellower songs I play. Of course with Vai and Timmons and Guthrie I have that edge to my playing that I try and keep a good flowing melody to everything as well as a really emotive touch to all my music.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Prince
Jimi Hendrix
Nick Valensi
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Most of the time Im inspired by music with very basic (or non existent) guitar. I'll watch Radiohead play There There, which doesnt have any difficult guitar parts, but their energetic and emotional performances inspire me. Im more into the whole music process than crazy skilled solos though.
1.)yes
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
jimi hendrix because if i become better than him then rolling stone has to name me the #1 greatest guitarist of all time

shayne ftw
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
No one inspired me to play... I just... wanted to play guitar... I didn't even listen to music when I first purchased my guitar o_O
Girls inspired me to play...at first. But now, my inspirations include:
1- Randy rhoads
2- EVH
3- David Gilmour
4- Jason Becker
5- Junior Marvin
6- Eric Clapton
7- Jimmy Page
8- Slash
9- Matthias Jabs
10- Jimi Hendrix
11- METAL JEBUS
12-Brian MAy
13- Uli Jon Roth
14- Paul Gilbert
15- Michael Schenker
16- Marty Friedman
I COULD go on
Slash...or Allen Collins/Gary Rossington...all of them inspired me to play...especially Slash, but Lynyrd Skynyrd got me into older rock, so it's both.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by mash71
Most of the time Im inspired by music with very basic (or non existent) guitar. I'll watch Radiohead play There There, which doesnt have any difficult guitar parts, but their energetic and emotional performances inspire me. Im more into the whole music process than crazy skilled solos though.

I almost cry every now and then listening to that song just because of the pure emotion resonating from it. Especially when the distorted guitar kicks in and the final verses start playing.

Paul Gilbert inspires me to pick up my guitar every day. He's my idol.

Vai and Satriani too. Even Yngwie a little bit, but not as much really.

Jason Becker was pretty amazing too. Every time I watch him play I'm in awe.
1)Kirk Hammet
2)Dave Mustaine & Mary Freidman(work great together)
3)John Petrucci
4)Robert Flynn & Phill Demmel(again, work great together)

Really, I think that 2 guitars together can have a more powerful impact than if they were seperate, so until I learn how to play Batio's guitar I better find a jamming buddy.
Led Zeppelin and Rush.
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
1.Matt Heafy (Trivium)
2.Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society)
3.Corey Beaulieu (Trivium)
4.Dimebag (Pantera)
5.Jimi Hendrix (Jimi Hendrix Experience)
6.Adam D (Killswitch Engage)
7.Marty Friedman (Megadeth)
WOOOWWW , DUDE........... NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!
Last edited by RazorAlex93 at May 4, 2008,
I think Nirvana were my reason for starting to play, then I got in to Clapton, Jimi, Jimmy Page, Kieth Richards, Beatles.
1.Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
2.Zakk Wylde (BLS)
3.Randy Rhoads (R.I.P Buddy)
4.James Hetfield (Metallica)
5.John Frusciante (RHCP)
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
Thomas Silver (Hardcore Superstar), Adrian Smith and Dave Murray (Maiden), Keith Richards (The Rolling Stones). Don't know any other that really has inspired me to play.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
The guy who inspired me to take up electric guitar in the first place was Kirk Hammett.Currently the greatest inspiration is probably Marty Friedman.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Listening to Clapton's and Duane Allman's playing always gives me that kick up the arse to open the guitar case
Listening to and watching Eric Clapton makes me want to pick up the guitar.
I use:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom, in white

Epiphone Dove

Vox AD30
Quote by metalbaswee
1.Kirk Hammett (Metallica)

I hope you were influenced by him the least? I'd prefer ANY other guitarist out of your list WAY above kirk.

My list:
Ritchie Blackmore, Adrian Smith, Randy Rhoads, Dimebag Darrel Abbott, EVH, Angus Young, Jimmy Page, Slash, Paul Gilbert, Mark Knopler, Eric Clapton, Glenn Tipton, ...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at May 4, 2008,
Angus & Malcolm Young
Glenn Tipton & K.K. Downing
Ace Frehley
Ted Nugent
George Thorogood
EVH
Jimmy Page
Metallica
can you tell I grew up in the 70's & 80's
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Ray Toro & Frank Iero (MCR)
James Hetfield & Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
Rivers Cuomo (Weezer)

and a lot more
Trust me I'm a doctor

A doctor with a mustache
1) Jade Puget. I was listening to AFI's Decemberunderground album, specifically 'The Killing Lights,' and thought to myself, 'wow, I want to be able to do that!' TKL remains my favourite guitar track. I've backtracked to some of AFI's older stuff and come to love Jade's guitar tracks. When I get time to actually practise instead of spending most of my revision time on here, I'll actually start writing my own songs.
2) Matt Bellamy. Not just an epic guitarist, he's a great composer who manages to get songs to just... work. Piano, trumpet, synth and guitar all go hand in hand with Muse. Also, I love Muse's high-energy stage performances - Wembley was amazing. Matt's use of Fuzz over Crunch distortion inspired me to use the same - much prefer blues fuzz to modern crunch. Finally, MB inspired me to start a guitar wall, cos he's got what appears to be a Manson guitar for every song., no to mention the onboard gadgetry. 3 guitars atm, more to come!
3) John Petrucci - listening to Pull Me Under actually inspired me to invest in a chorus pedal. Also, his piezo-equipped guitars have made me decide to fit piezos into my Cort - my summer project!

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Mark morton
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

Page 1 of 2