Hey everyone, I was looking for a nice mahogany guitar that had great tone and was thin like an SG, but had the balance of a fender strat. I naturally came across the S-Series Beauties. Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of double locking trems as they are usually big pains in the ass. However, the ZR trem seems to be much less temperamental than your average Double Locking Trem. My main question is this, is it easy to switch between drop d and standard with this ZR trem? I'm in a band that switches between standard and drop d fairly often and I need versatility in this aspect. I would greatly appreciate any help.
You do realize that you can put an EVH D-Tuna on a Floyd Rose to easily tune from standard to drop tunings, right?
Tuning a to and from drop D with the ZR trem should be no problem, at least they say so. I haven't been able to perfectly set up my guitar to be able to go from Drop C to D Standard without the other strings going out of tune. It barely goes out of tune when I go switch from the two, less than one rotation on the precision tuners on the bridge on maybe 2 strings while the others stay in tune. Maybe you'll have better luck goin from Standard to Drop D.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
you can do it but it does take some fine tuning of the other strings as well. you dont have to unlock the nut to do it. You can always block the trem to a "dive only" mode that way you can change tunings all you want.

edit:and the EVH d-tuna wont fit on the zr
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by bean-o
you can do it but it does take some fine tuning of the other strings as well. you dont have to unlock the nut to do it. You can always block the trem to a "dive only" mode that way you can change tunings all you want.

edit:and the EVH d-tuna wont fit on the zr

I know it won't work on the ZR, but the inability to go from standard to drop tunings seems to be the primary reason he doesn't want a regular Floyd.
The EVH d-tuna also has the problem of getting in the way when pulling the bar up unless you wanna route a nasty guage for it, and generally not worth it. I switch between drop A and standard on my S7320, and you just have to set it up so that the fine tuners can re-adjust the tuning on all strings, and you can make it do it well if you turn the fine tuner as close to the bridge when in standard, then un-twisting it until you reach your drop tuning, and then re-tuning the rest of the strings with the fine tuners, takes 2-5 minutes if you do it right, so it's kinda hesitant to do that during a live show, but you could if you wanted to.