Can anyone tell me what the equivalent of a 50w or 100w all tube amp would be in watts vs a solid state amp?
A lot. Either way, it's probably going to cause some hearing damage when cranked.

Anyway, if I had to guess I'd say 300 or so SS watts = 100W tube.
50W tube is almost definitely going to be loud enough for rehearsal and small gigs by itself. 100W will handle bigger gigs by itself. Those are general of course- all amps are different and trying the amp will get you a much better idea of it's potential than comparing specs.
Quote by j.pagejr.
tubes are better just think of it that way.

Word.
Gear:
-Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
-Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue
-And all the fuzz a man needs
Watts = headroom, NOT volume. Especially in tubes. Everyone always wants to compare it, but the actual dB output of a 50w vs 100w isn't huge, cause it's a logarithmic curve (it grows fast at first (lower wattages) and then flattens out, and as the watts get higher, the watt-watt ratio gets smaller).

The really high wattages don't increase volume that much, just make it take more input for the power stage to distort.

Anyway, let's just say a 50w tube will be louder than almost any SS amp, because it accentuates frequencies that our ears hear.

This is a comparison that everyone makes, and it just doesn't make much sense.
There is no conversion 50 watts tube = ? watts SS. Watts are watts. A 50 watt amp is 50 watts. the-patient is correct its in how our ear hears it. There is no metric to whatever conversion.
well ive heard that tube amps tend to sound louder than they are. im not really sure how that works and not sure if thats even true. but with more watts you have more headroom. think of it like this: a 100 watt amp is only twice as loud as a 10 watt. but its like having a top of the line sports car and some beater. they both can do say100, but the top of the line sports car can handle the power better than the little beater. so the 10 watter will overdrive at lower volumes while a 100 watt amp with break up later on at higher volumes. this is tube im talking about by the way.

as for solid state, id assume its the same. the point of distortion would be at a higher volume on a 100 watt than a 10watt.

but im gunna say that watts are watts. they arent going to be different in tube or SS. as to why people say tube sounds louder, im not sure. i cant quite remember. it wasnt that it was actually louder but just that it sounds louder. so if thats true, you are probably going to want tubes. plus, the tone is going to sound nicer. when a SS amp distorts, it isnt very nice.
Another reason why tube amps seem to be louder is because when you crank a tube amp your tone is going to start gaining more elements of power amp saturation which is a good thing. It sounds smoothe and is impossible to recreate perfectly on a solid state.

On the other hand when you crank a solid state amp you can only use about half (depending on the amp) of the volume dial because what will begin to happen is the amp will only yield so much volume before it starts clipping which sounds like total bum.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Tube amps sound louder because they actually start to distort VERY early on. The thing is, our ears think that distortion is actually just louder clean signal, so it sounds clean to us - just louder.

The general consensus is that tube amps are about as loud as a SS amp 2.5 times the wattage.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by mash71
30W tube is almost definitely going to be loud enough for rehearsal and small gigs by itself. 50W will handle bigger gigs by itself. Those are general of course- all amps are different and trying the amp will get you a much better idea of it's potential than comparing specs.

fixed - do not under-estimate the power of tubes.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.