Ok....I've noticed alot of people talking about learning covers and getting rythm. Well heres how I do it. First, get a loud radio (or wire it to loud speakers) so you can hear it with your guitar. Second put your song on the radio and play along with it until you feel you know it and then try it without the radio and if it doesnt sound right figure out what your doing, and if it does sound right then move on to your next song.
Also, another tip, if it's a relatively simple song with a repeating melody and chord progression, you can learn the chorus/verse/bridge/solo and play it without the music while reciting the lyrics in your head to help you remember where you are and what to do next. You can also read the lyrics as you play. By doing this, you will know by reading what verse you're at, if you need to do the chorus next, etc. It works great. Obviously it doesn't work for more advanced songs with more lead parts, but you get the idea. Also, I just use my computer with iTunes when I do play along with the song.

And I play with the song about 99% of the time.. which I really need to stop. It's funner without, especially when playing for other people. I hate when I play for people and I have to hold on and get the song started and adjust volume levels, etc. I really need to work on being able to play songs on the spot without the song.. I just think it's a little boring without, it's always fun having lyrics. That's why I've started singing and doing what I suggested above.

Good luck!
Quote by BFGRocker
Ok....I've noticed alot of people talking about learning covers and getting rythm. Well heres how I do it. First, get a loud radio (or wire it to loud speakers) so you can hear it with your guitar. Second put your song on the radio and play along with it until you feel you know it and then try it without the radio and if it doesnt sound right figure out what your doing, and if it does sound right then move on to your next song.

same also if you have enough money get an ipod dock with a remote which makes it easier
yup its a sig... yeaaah..
After i get the song, i play it to backing tracks, thats when you really find out if ur timing and accuracy is there
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
^^haha that made sense....your getting your rythm with the song not with the real band
Well with covers I usually just play along with an mp3 version I got of it...
And for original songs which my band written, I usually just tab it out on Guitar Pro 5.2 and play along with it's Real Sound Engine thing...
pretty neat program I recommend it to everyone.

But if I'm LEARNING the song I'm usually just playing alone...
I'm a bassist tho, so things do get a tad bit boring without the rest of the instruments.
I just read an article about the dangers of heavy drinking; it scared the shit outta me! So I decided, no more reading!!!