So I've been playing for 6 months right but I don't use my fingers. I don't use a pick either. For some reason I feel comfortable using my thumb for all notes (not making every note a thumb slap, but hitting it). I know it sounds weird but it feels right. Should I invest time to learn using my fingers? (By the way, I do not suck, I'm actually pretty good)
seems like an odd technique, if it works for you, great, but you should still definantily learn to pluck normally.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
It's an old style. Back before pickups were as powerful as they are now, it was common to play with your thumb, so that the pickups could register the sound better.

I play with my thumb on some songs, it gives you a very unique sound that just fills your body with bass. If you can find a niche where you play only thumb style, then go right for it. It would be bold and beautiful.

But, you should learn to play finger style. Don't want to be a one-trick pony, as it were, and it's just not possible to be as fast with your thumb as with 2 or 3 fingers. And while you're at it, make sure you can play with a pick too. Gotta be versatile in today's world.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Its not as odd of technique as you may think. Many 1960s bass players use this method. Ok, not so great bass player, but watch Brian Wilson in this video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k1FaflUn4Co&feature=related. This was so popular that the early Fender basses had "tug bars" below the G string for thumb players to grab.

Peter Frampton's current bass player, John Regan? uses this method as well.

But it can be a bit limiting esp. on speed, so learn to finger play with the middle and index as well. My feeling is the more techniques you learn, the more well rounded a bass player you become.
Thank you guys so much, the only song I can't play because of the speed is YYZ (I don't play fast songs because I'm not a heavy metal guy). Any pointers for how to use my fingers?
Start slow and work either easy songs or scales with both your index and middle fingers. The thing that nailed it for me was to say out loud "middle / index" as I used each finger. Increase your speed slowly but steadily. It takes practice but suddenly you are a finger style demon.
Thanks anarkee, I really want to learn how to do it like that because its easier I hear and I jive the tone. I'll keep you posted on my progress
I agree with the mod lady. The one thing that will take constant pounding-out practice is straight rhythm. I used to have such a problem with making straight 8ths using my index/middle. It would always have a bit of a swing to it. Drove me crazy. Now, countless practice sessions later, I'm accidental-swing-free.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
definatly start with two, i started with one and going to two was really hard (and one is terrible technique, as i've heard). anyway, just play simple stuff and scales at first until you're comfortable, and then go on to songs that are a little bit more complex. if you start practicing on complex stuff and make mistakes, as you keep practicing those mistakes will become habbits and become hard as hell to break.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
I started with one, then I used the other for lower strings
now I effectively can use both (by accident!)
but it is more comfortable to use one. for me anyhow.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
/\ the jamerson hook ey?

my favorite off technique or whatever you call it is the bootsy double finger snap. you use the index and middle finger to strike the string at the same time and kinda snap it.

if you get tired of the thumb method, give this one a try
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by crazypeanutman
/\ the jamerson hook ey?

my favorite off technique or whatever you call it is the bootsy double finger snap. you use the index and middle finger to strike the string at the same time and kinda snap it.

if you get tired of the thumb method, give this one a try

yep
the tone is a little different because my middle finger is stronger, it made everythng I did sorta hip hoppy. bleagh.
I favor double finger for reggae and dancehall now.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom