Well im in a jazz band at school and our big concert is coming up and usally the guitar stuff is pretty simple and my teacher never gives me a solo only to sax and piano players, but this new song we are playing is extremely tough and the he didnt have the guitar last week so i chilled during practice, cause i figured i could wing at the show, i mean playing 9 chords and m7 chords in quater notes is no toughie, but i peaked over at the pianist's sheet and usually we play the same chords and i saw some impossible chords i had kno clue how to make unless i sat down and thought about for lik 5 minutes, lik Bb/F(b9), and then he told me he wants a guitar solo, im think ok penitonnic scale, but the nhe says i need a real different scale, "how bout Lydian mode" PHUCK!!!!!!
anybody wanna help me and give some practice tips on how i can pretty much know memorize this **** so i can improvise it, i need to be able i kno all the shapes for the scale and how to make those crazy chords without thinkin in 3 weeks, any tips or am i done for
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Crate GT65
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Dunlop Wah
Digitech Whammy.......FOR SALE
MXR Micro Amp
Boss DD-7 Delay
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
what key is it in?
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
well
the lydian mode is the mode staring on the 4th degree of the scale
so just take your scale and start on the 4th note, and you have your lydian mode.
not too hard

EDIT:
use an online chord chart.
or ask your teacher
Lydian is bright, just has a #4, I'd say first finger the chords, then lay respective scale patterns over each so you can voice your solo has the chords fly by.
oh and if you can get your hands on the may 2008 guitar world magazine theres a lesson in the on the lydian mode
If you're in the key of F then...
--------------------------------------------
--------------------12-14-15-------------
--------12-14-15-------------------------
13-15-------------------------------------
actually it is in F
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Crate GT65
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Dunlop Wah
MXR Micro Amp
Boss DD-7 Delay
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
i need tips on how to practice this stuff, not just for this concert but im gonna be in advanced jazz next year where instead of it being a big band w/ 15 pple its a small combo w/ 8 pple, so really i used to concert as a cover, want im really asking is how to do i need to practice everyday this summer so i kno this shet lik the back of my phucking hand
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Crate GT65
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Dunlop Wah
MXR Micro Amp
Boss DD-7 Delay
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
8 is a pretty huge combo IMO
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by elchico04
8 is a pretty huge combo IMO

8 is actually 4 combos
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
well when I think of a combo its usually fewer than 6 people.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12