Should my next bass be a fretless? I have a budget of about 600 and my b-day is june 3. I was thinking of a Shector Stilleto but a fretless sounds nice.

What should I do
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
try a few. if you like the sound, do it. try to play a bass you have played fretted though. preferably one nearby.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
go with the lavender finish if you decide to keep fretting. death by banana.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

why is evreything so cheap in america like 400 dollars for that bass is stupid like where i live it would cost 500-600euro.
Everyone, but America gets ****ed for prices. They're asses, live with it.

For the thread, I think, if you're unsure if you want a fretless and the only fretted you have is a Squier P then I would go with a better fretted. By all means, go and try out a fretless bass and see if it just clicks - it very well may.
I would not reccomend it. Since the only bass you have is a Squier P, I would just get the Scheter. They're great basses, and you won't be dissapointed.

Also, I have found that, if you're not playing Jaco-stuff and jazz, fretless basses really aren't that useful. I'm sure people here will disagree with me, but I just don't really understand why you would get a fretless if you don't absoloutely need one.
The.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
I would not reccomend it. Since the only bass you have is a Squier P, I would just get the Scheter. They're great basses, and you won't be dissapointed.

Also, I have found that, if you're not playing Jaco-stuff and jazz, fretless basses really aren't that useful. I'm sure people here will disagree with me, but I just don't really understand why you would get a fretless if you don't absoloutely need one.

Well, in jazz and fusion music, one does not "absolutely" need a fretless bass, but it is definitely very common to have one.

I'm sure you were expecting this example, but Steve DiGiorgio and Juan Alderete play fretless basses (the latter less often, but you get the point) in metal and prog rock bands respectively, and it works very well.

I'm also sure that you've noticed that fretless bass is also very popular in R&B and pop music, especially in the 80's and 90's.

My argument for using fretless in a variety of genres is that fretless basses just have a different feel and timbre to them and, if played right, can be used in any sort of music.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

God bless America

that guy from asia- doesn't he use a fretless zon? that isn't jazz.
sugar pop I think.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by jazz_rock_feel

For the thread, I think, if you're unsure if you want a fretless and the only fretted you have is a Squier P then I would go with a better fretted. By all means, go and try out a fretless bass and see if it just clicks - it very well may.

Yeah but the dollar is tanking like the Titanic, so y'all may be getting the last laugh.

I'd put the bucks towards a better fretted myself, unless an amazing one in a lifetime deal came across for a good fretless.
steps to choose between fretles or fretted
1.-try the squier VM fretted jazz bass and then try the squier VM fretless jaz bass
2.-decide wich do you like more
3.-you are done!
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Alright so I tried out a fender jazz fretless, not for me :/ So now its a choice of fretted, so shector or ibanez?Ihave yet to try out either considering my GC has niether out on display( i dont feel like making them bring it out to try out until i can buy one of them) But yea anyone with experience with these?
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
Quote by anarkee
Yeah but the dollar is tanking like the Titanic, so y'all may be getting the last laugh.

I'd put the bucks towards a better fretted myself, unless an amazing one in a lifetime deal came across for a good fretless.

I dunno, most companies seem to ignore the dollar price fluctuations and charge us the same price even if the dollar is worth next to nothing.
Though you can bet we'd see a price rise if the dollar went up in value.

Having said that, I consider Ibanez very reasonable in their pricing across the globe, once you factor in the extra shipping + tax costs I don't think they really rip anyone off.

Mesa? That's another story.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2