So I was doing some mindless wandering on youtube and found a video of a band called "the alarm." They were pretty good if you aren't afraid of the 80's.

But what really caught my attention was that both the singer and the guitarist were getting electric guitar tones from their acoustics. I did some carefull watching and I noticed they have les paul style covered humbuckers next to the sound hole in their guitars.

You can see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzJRDjpPS_I
(you probably shouldn't watch this video if you are afraid of big hair or the 80's...)

Singer's is visible at about 0:17-0:24, 1:17-1:22, 1:55-2:03.
His is easier to see cause the color of the pick up stands out from the color of the guitar.

The guitarist's is visible throughout the whole video, but mostly at about 2:35-2:40.

So anyway, I really want to do this to my cheap acoustic. What all would I have to do to get it working.

Don't tell me I don't have the experience to do it, I've built guitars before, and I have already put a piezio buzzer inside the acoustic and made a pickup out of that.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Seriously
This kind of music should come with a complimentary neuce so you can kill yourself when you realize what your listening to.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Seriously
This kind of music should come with a complimentary neuce so you can kill yourself when you realize what your listening to.

So should your posts, though i imagine a noose would be somewhat more useful.
And to be helpfull;
I would say you would work it in just like you would an electric but instead You would use a Screwing gun and put them in where you want.
Then us a knut on the bottom ro keep it in place.
so yeah, i dig the alarm but I doubt the sound they got came that way. But hey, if you wanna try, screw the pup in the sound hole and wirre a pot to the out side, wire the hot to the left terminal and the jack to the right, ground the others out and you are good! good luck!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Edit: @ the two who didn't help.
Good thing you guys helped with my question...

One of the bands that I listen to, audio adrenaline, covered the song, and I was looking to see what the original sounded like. Don't worry, audio adrenaline's version is much, much better.
They are miming. Chances are they actually used electrics for the recording.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
They are miming. Chances are they actually used electrics for the recording.

Yeah, I guessed the same when I realised they didn't look like they were playing.

But it would still be damn cool to get an electric guitar tone from an acoustic.
early archtop electric luthiers sorta glued on their pickups.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Easy mod, if you ask me, Easier than mine was. Here's what you'll need for a great variety of tones:

1 Martin Thinline acoustic pickup
1 Humbucker with humbucker shell? Whatever that thing is
1 3 way selector knob
2 500K pots 1 for volume and 1 for tone

Or just one volume like I did

Simply drill holes in the back of your acoustic's hole then screw the pup shell thing in. Drill 4 holes on the body:

3 on top and 1 on the bottom edge like a les paul.

Soldier everything together:

VUALA!

Note: you might want to add a .001uf cap across the in/out of the volume pot so you don't lose all your treble after 10% turning it down.
I got some good guitars, yo.