I am just starting my first rack and am looking on suggestions for a good preamp. I already have a Peavey Classic 120 power amp. I am looking for a sound in the vein of Guns N Roses, Buckcherry, Poison and be able to pull off stuff like Metallica and Megadeth. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
just gotta play with it dude
find a good sound
i always needed help with pre amp suggestions but i realized u just gotta play with it
Yeah I had actually been thinking about trying out the Gainiac based on reviews I read. Also I was considering the Rocktron Prophesy II. Price range is really not as important as sound. I am just looking for suggestions before I go in to try things out, so I don't overlook what could be perfect for my sound. Thanks for the advice.
Marshall JMP1
Mesa Triaxis
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Yeah I have considered the JMP-1, but the Mesa Triaxis just seems to be far too much distortion for what I need. Any thoughts on the Rocktron Pro-gap or Rocktron Chameleon? Again, thanks for the suggestions.
I've not had a chance to try the Rocktrons but I hear good things.

I'd suggest the JMP-1 though, great preamps, especially for what you seem to want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you have the money, check out the Rocktron Prophesy II. Top of the line product

EDIT: Oh yeah, megadeth uses one I think
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard (Cherry finish)
Ibanez JS1000 (Black Pearl finish)

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Bugera 333XL Head (Coming Soon)
Avatar G212H Special (Coming Soon)
Crate FW15R
Since you have no price top, I'v heard great things about the CAE products. They're made/distrubuted by Suhr now if you wanna check them out.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to check CAE products out, I had not heard of them. Also the prophesy was one of the ones I was looking at. Right now my main choices seem to be a JMP-1, a modded ADA MP-1, Rocktron Prophesy, Chameleon, Gainiac, and Pro-Gap. If any one else has any other choices please let me know. I want to know my options before going to check them out.
Ah yes, the MP-1 is one I forgot about, I quite enjoyed that one as well Let us know what the Rocktrons sound like, I've been interested in them for a while now.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Ah yes, the MP-1 is one I forgot about, I quite enjoyed that one as well Let us know what the Rocktrons sound like, I've been interested in them for a while now.

This should give you an idea

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bc9UCE1IY54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N18NzZWJSgk&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f6DZ7DmZsQ&feature=related

Sounds pretty good for teh price . I'm gonna pick one up soon .
Quote by DiMeTiMe

Eh, I never trust videos or sound clips. Videos usually have a degraded sound because of compressing to get it onto the internet and sound clips usually have post EQ or they're using really good gear with it.

No places around here actually have one set up to try which sucks
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
From the sound clips and video clips I have seen, the gainiac sounds good, but the reviews are very bad. On the other hand, I have heard only good on the pro-gap and the chameleon. The JMP-1 and MP-1, both have mixed reviews. It seems based on reviews that the JMP-1 is probably what I am looking for, but I am going to try many different ones to see what gets me closer to my holy grail.
The engl pre amp, best pre-amp for the money i see now adays.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Yeah, the Engl is a nice preamp, but again I think too much distortion for what I am looking for. The Engl and the Diezel are kinda all or nothing amps.
Quote by mindstealer
Yeah, the Engl is a nice preamp, but again I think too much distortion for what I am looking for. The Engl and the Diezel are kinda all or nothing amps.

First of all, you can never have to much distortion ; secondly - you know you can turn the gain down, right?
Quote by DiMeTiMe
First of all, you can never have to much distortion ; secondly - you know you can turn the gain down, right?

True, but I think something like an Engl preamp wouldn't be voiced quite as well for the stuff he wants to play.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Jmp-1 Ftw!!!
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
I love metal as much as the next person, but I think Matrix put it better than I did, that it was not voiced for what I am looking to do. It's kinda like you wouldn't tell a death metal player to buy a Vox. I think I am going to go with the JMP-1, but I am going to try one out this weekend. I also had a great deal presented to me for an ADA MP-1, so I am most likely going to take that as well. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Last edited by mindstealer at May 5, 2008,