I just rescently purchased my first acoustic, a martin MMV. i tried various guitars in the same price range takamine, and taylors. the taylors felt short i was really disapointed, for the price youd expect something bettor wouldnt you but hey whatever. the takamines were great guitars way bettor than the taylors and on par with the martins and gibsons in some ways it surpassed some gibsons by a little. in the end it was down to a D-16RGT, a takamine in the the 1000-1100 price range and of course the MMV. It was a close call but much to my surprise the takamine beat out the the D-16 and the MMV beat out the takamine(all this in my humble opinion). I returned an epiphone masterbilt i had bought the previos day paid the balance and walked away with big a smile on my face.
I know the MMV is not a D model or anything but did i do the right thing. I dont really care about the whole D model thing because if it wasnt for the MMV i probly would have walked away with the takamine, im just contemplating alot because you know it is my first acuostic after all.
"the right thing" is completely relative to you. guitars are too personal to be argued about, so yes, you did the right thing because the MMV is right for you. I personally have a D-16RGT and it just destroys everything else i've ever played.
Its great to see someone going with what they LIKE rather than what other people tell them to get. Good choice man and good luck with the playing.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
^^thanks captive, I think i made the right choice too. like what you you said, guitars are to personal to be argued with, some people may take offence to what you say about there guitars and i apreciate your coment because i may have been one of those persons. I personaly thought the D-16RGT was a great guitar but just not for me, and i hate to repeat myself and other people, but like what you said its all personal prefrence.
I especially like what the guitar was for what its worth, but if i had extra money, like lets say 1100 more i would have taken the takamine aswell because it was just simply great, maybe later after I go to college and watknot ill do it, but up to until then im alrigght.
Hey, you don't have to contemplate anything or second guess yourself.
That is a very nice guitar ! Got to love that Martin sound !
Sometimes I think we get too caught up by which guitar to get. Obviously understandable when you're spending that kind of money. But whether it be the MMV, D-16RGT, Takamine or D-15 spuce/rosewood, you can't go wrong. It's all about the music that comes out of it and the enjoyment of playing it.

BTW, I go through similar thoughts every day. I really want to get a Martin. Should I get the D-15, D-16RGT, MMV or save up for a D-28 or HD-28 or HD28v ?
Screw it I'm just going to put a D-45 Brazilian on my credit card
Last edited by Jerome G at May 5, 2008,
Quote by Jerome G
Hey, you don't have to contemplate anything or second guess yourself.
That is a very nice guitar ! Got to love that Martin sound !
Sometimes I think we get too caught up by which guitar to get. Obviously understandable when you're spending that kind of money. But whether it be the MMV, D-16RGT, Takamine or D-15 spuce/rosewood, you can't go wrong. It's all about the music that comes out of it and the enjoyment of playing it.

BTW, I go through similar thoughts every day. I really want to get a Martin. Should I get the D-15, D-16RGT, MMV or save up for a D-28 or HD-28 or HD28v ?
Screw it I'm just going to put D-45 Brazilian on my credit card

hahaha. i actually played a '95 HD-28 that i didnt like nearly as much as my D-16RGT. it was kinda bland compared to the D-16RGT i got.
^How long have you had that, guitar. Do they really get bettor with age, and about how long would it be noticable if i play lets say 2-3 hours a day, mines got a gloss that affect anything positive/negative.
Damn and if i ever get ahold of another 1200 bucks im ganna defenately get a Takamine, i really loved the one i played at the store, but when it came down to it the Martin wasnt necesarilly bettor by anyway its just that i wanted that sound for my personal needs, sounded very uniqe.
Last edited by the-kidR44 at May 6, 2008,
i've had the guitar for about 2 weeks now. it's been absolutely amazing so far.

as for aging, yes, all solid wood guitars age. even if you play 2-3 hours a day, it may take a few years to FULLY open up. the gloss shouldnt really affect too much.
^ I just heard one on youtube, sounds awesome.

I think I'm going to have to pick one up.
I'd like to gloss the back and sides though.
I like the way satin looks, but I don't like the sound when it rubs against clothing.
you can get a D-16R, which is all gloss, but doesnt have the white neck binding or herringbone rosette. It's also a bit more expensive.

I'm actually not a fan of an all glossed guitar. basically, the D-16RGT is absolutely perfect for me. i like herringbone, i like white neck binding, i like gloss tops, i dont like glossed sides or backs, i like satin necks, i like rosewood, and i like the fullness of a martin.

i honestly dont think i could have found a more perfect guitar for myself. aesthetically and tonally, it IS my definition of what an acoustic guitar should be.