Page 1 of 2
well the time has come for me to look for a new laptop coz my current one is out of memory, and playing up.

i want something that i wont have problems running any recording software, and wont have to worry about runnning out of freaking memory and diskspace!!!

basically i want something that i can do anything. just has to be a laptop

hit me bak with links etc currently got a toshiba, wich windows obviously...
okay basically i want something with

a lot of DISK SPACE

a lot of RAM

and that is fast, so i can run programs like CUBASE and or PROTOOLS without a problem, plus i have thousands of songs etc.
Mac Book Pro

2.4ghz intel core duo
4gb of ram
250gb HD space

Without Vista or even XP holding you back, the 4gb of ram will work wonders for you.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
get a mac. its only an extra $500, and you get a shiny apple on the back!

on a serious note, what are you planning on using it for?
I have no opinion on this matter.
thanx heaps, i've never had a mac but i've heard good things?

and i want to use it for everything

like i write and record songs... but i also put all my music on it, burn dvd's etc you know the works.

all your feedback is great
how much you looking to spend?
which OS would you prefer to use?
narrow it down!
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
up to bout $3000 australian.

OS = operating system? i've currently got like windows XP Pro 2002.

i'm pretty oblivious to all the computer lingo LOL.
Quote by Zugunruhe
get a mac. its only an extra $500, and you get a shiny apple on the back!

+infinity
well i was you two weeks ago, and i wanted to record my guitar stuff, do some photoshop/web development/video work for youtube. So i bought a macbook (the new model ones). that with my pod XT pro works great, can do whatever i want.
go with the mac man.
Gear:
-Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
-Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue
-And all the fuzz a man needs
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Mac Book Pro

2.4ghz intel core duo
4gb of ram
250gb HD space

Without Vista or even XP holding you back, the 4gb of ram will work wonders for you.

did you mention the amount of money youll need to cough up to get those specs on a mac?

Go for a Dell Inspiron/XPS. You can even customize your specs on the website when ordering.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

MacBook pro. That's what I have. Luv it.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
No! Don't get a mac! Don't become one of theeem...
Sorry I have a real thing against macs.

Dells are good. Extra £30 and you get to pick the colour you want it. I'm getting a pink one.
Quote by DistantScreams
Awwwww.... CaptainBec that was messed up

Why? Because I rap about reality? Like me and my grandma having a cup of tea?
There ain't no party like my nanna's tea party - heey - ho!
Quote by CaptainBec
No! Don't get a mac! Don't become one of theeem...
Sorry I have a real thing against macs.

Dells are good. Extra £30 and you get to pick the colour you want it. I'm getting a pink one.

Why do you have a thing against Macs?
Get a PC, you'll get a much larger screen for your money (just try doing anything sophisticated with a 13" Macbook), and the stability and speed of PCs are just fine if you do basic measures to ensure that bad stuff (viruses, malware, and spyware...it can happen to Macs too) don't get in. Basically, it means using Firefox and getting appropriate software.
Now, as for laptops, HP and Dell make good ones, and I recommend getting their 17" models. How much can you spend?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Get a PC, you'll get a much larger screen for your money (just try doing anything sophisticated with a 13" Macbook), and the stability and speed of PCs are just fine if you do basic measures to ensure that bad stuff (viruses, malware, and spyware...it can happen to Macs too) don't get in. Basically, it means using Firefox and getting appropriate software.
Now, as for laptops, HP and Dell make good ones, and I recommend getting their 17" models. How much can you spend?

If you're doing anything sophisticated, you'd buy a MacBook Pro, not a MacBook if you were buying a laptop. I highly doubt TS is doing anything that would need a big screen anyway...
Go to ibuypower.com or cyberpowerinc.com or similar sites. Get a pimped out customized laptop for cheeeep. Hope it doesn't break.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by ItWillDo
did you mention the amount of money youll need to cough up to get those specs on a mac?

Go for a Dell Inspiron/XPS. You can even customize your specs on the website when ordering.

$2249

pretty damn good price for a top of the line laptop if you ask me.
i want to steer clear of a customized one!, all this feedback is great...but its pretty hard to choose when there's opinions flying everywhere,

macbook pro sounds promising, but is it better to get a desktop? i just find it convinient to be able to take my laptop anywhere with me etc...
Quote by hayz_182
i want to steer clear of a customized one!, all this feedback is great...but its pretty hard to choose when there's opinions flying everywhere,

macbook pro sounds promising, but is it better to get a desktop? i just find it convinient to be able to take my laptop anywhere with me etc...

The only aspect that I could see a desktop being better, is if you wanted a gaming computer. For recording, photo-shop, movie editing, music storage, and other things like that, the laptop will be perfect, as long as it has lots of ram, a good processor, and a decent hard drive.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
The only aspect that I could see a desktop being better, is if you wanted a gaming computer. For recording, photo-shop, movie editing, music storage, and other things like that, the laptop will be perfect, as long as it has lots of ram, a good processor, and a decent hard drive.

oh thats good to hear, didn't really like the thought of a desktop, and im not a pc gamer lol, xbox360

so any reccomendation as to something that would meet that criteria?
Quote by hayz_182

Macbook Pros will serve you wonders. You can run Windows as well, if you require.

However, if you do, I'd wait a month or two, as the Macbook and MBP are due for an overhaul in case design/processor etc.

Sorry, but I have to recommend the MBP for what you want.
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
a mac with the same specs as my HP would have cost me 400 bucks more. just putting that out there for TS to consider.
Quote by Zugunruhe
a mac with the same specs as my HP would have cost me 400 bucks more. just putting that out there for TS to consider.

That $400 comes back in how long a MBP will last you, and how much you'll be able to resell it for.

Just putting that out there...

Quote by Fishyesque
Macbook Pros will serve you wonders. You can run Windows as well, if you require.

However, if you do, I'd wait a month or two, as the Macbook and MBP are due for an overhaul in case design/processor etc.

Sorry, but I have to recommend the MBP for what you want.

yer i will wait, i can't stand buying something just before its updated lol. i used windows at the moment, so you can still run windows on a mac?
Quote by hayz_182
yer i will wait, i can't stand buying something just before its updated lol. i used windows at the moment, so you can still run windows on a mac?

Yes. Parallels (application) is awesome, and lets you run both at the same time.

Or you can use boot camp, and boot each separately.
I recommend www.appleinsider.com to keep you up to date on rumors/what's going on. Their forums "Future Hardware" is very helpful.

Let me know if you ever have more questions.
Quote by Fishyesque
That $400 comes back in how long a MBP will last you, and how much you'll be able to resell it for.

Just putting that out there...

how long it will last........? what do you mean? i like my computer. its not about to break down anytime soon. if youre talking about windows, i can just instal linux. its better than mac in all the aspects that mac is better than windows.

that 400 dollars is so that i look trendy. i dont need that.
Quote by Zugunruhe

that 400 dollars is so that i look trendy. i dont need that.

Don't embarrass yourself.
Quote by Fishyesque
Don't embarrass yourself.

i guess i wouldnt be embarrased if i was typing on a nice shiny macbook pro. whats four hundred dollars between friends?
lol, you lads who've given me feedback should add me, so can keep in touch. muchly appreciated!!!
Quote by hayz_182
lol, you lads who've given me feedback should add me, so can keep in touch. muchly appreciated!!!

Do you have MSN or AIM?

Quote by Zugunruhe
i guess i wouldnt be embarrased if i was typing on a nice shiny macbook pro. whats four hundred dollars between friends?

I do wish I had a Mac, believe me.

However, my PS3 with Ubuntu installed serves me well.
if your like me, which means your not a gamer, then get what i have.
Macbook Pro.
i run reason 3.0, Logic 8.0 (Studio) among many many other things. i have like a bagillion songs and plenty of, umm, videos haha. yeah its a great laptop. and if your worried about missing some Windows only program, you can run BOTH windows and Mac OSX on it.
Quote by hayz_182
oh thats good to hear, didn't really like the thought of a desktop, and im not a pc gamer lol, xbox360

so any reccomendation as to something that would meet that criteria?

Like I said in my first post:

Mac Book Pro with:
15 inch screen
2.4GHz intel duo core processor
250Gb HD
4GB of RAM

here's a link.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/9214000/wo/bo47XtLZQKH532TNdSkFqDAoyGE/18.?p=0

for $2249, thats a pretty fine laptop.
Quote by chea_man
if your like me, which means your not a gamer, then get what i have.
Macbook Pro.
i run reason 3.0, Logic 8.0 (Studio) among many many other things. i have like a bagillion songs and plenty of, umm, videos haha. yeah its a great laptop. and if your worried about missing some Windows only program, you can run BOTH windows and Mac OSX on it.

Even if you are a gamer, a MBP will still work great.
Quote by hayz_182
okay basically i want something with

a lot of DISK SPACE

a lot of RAM

and that is fast, so i can run programs like CUBASE and or PROTOOLS without a problem, plus i have thousands of songs etc.

it also needs a CAPS LOCK BUTTON!
<Han> I love Hitler
I also happen to be in the market for a new laptop or desktop.

just a quick question...

lets just say i cant exactly afford programs which i need .. and i find alternative places to acquire them...

Are you able to achieve this on mac computers? is there not some type of protection?
Page 1 of 2