Page 1 of 2
My local store anyway. The people running the place are such horrible excuses for guitarists that it boggles the mind how they ended up working for a huge guitar store chain. I walked into the store yesterday to try out some new amps. I've heard good things about Satch's Peavey, so after taking a quick look around and not noticing one, I asked if they had one around.

"What's a Satch?"

"...Joe Satriani...His signature Peavey amp...Do you have it here?"

"OOOHHHH otay lemme check"

*3-5 minutes later*

"Um sir I dunt think we r havin ne of deez Peavy amps"

"Oh, okay, thanks. One more question, do you have any PGMs in stock?"

"Um I don't know if we have any of those, we just have a lot of Ibanez and Gibsons lately but I dunno about PGM's"

Holy ****. This isn't the first guy either.
hahahahaha, Guitar Center sounds hilarious.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
lol poor guitar center employee

EDIT: i dont have a GC around where i live..i have local non chain store...that wuv to det!!!! lol
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
ive usually had good experiences with guitar center. friendly people. like giving me discounts cus im generally a friendly person
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
I actually have to agree, there should be a test... No, two tests, to work at guitar center.

Test #1. You must display subtle ability in the guitar/bass/drums... Any musical instrument.

Test #2. You must pass a written test as to what brands make what IE "Who makes the Randy Rhoads style guitar?" or something...

You have to atleast pass one test to get hired, but until you can pass both you can't do more than cashier/toilet scrubber/receipt giver... Basically the thing that involves the LEAST interaction with customers or guitars.
guitar center, or centre as we spell it here, sounds like the wal-mart of guitar shops

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
^yeah but it is not as bad as Best Buy - which by the way now sells guitars and amps. cheap ones but none the less. So does Sam's and maybe even Costco.

It is all part of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band wanna be phase. And Spider phase.

GC ain't that bad but don't go there on a weekend.

;
Ya for some reason I went the other day and while the workers were pretty cool the people there were absolute tool bags. I couldn't hear myself think over the emo crap and showoff kids.
Thank God I'm not the only one that sees this!!! I've visited three different GC's...two in my area and one in another state, and none of the staff were all that smart. Actually most of the time someone from another department was trying to help me - "Oh, I'm actually from drums" or "I'm from pro sound." Well, where's the guitar people? "Oh, he's on break," or "he's at lunch."

But the main reason I don't buy major gear at GC can be summed up in two words: Factory Seconds. Almost everything in their stores are factory seconds in some way: a small cosmetic blemish or a minor interior flaw somewhere. I tried a Yamaha Pacifica once that had a faulty pickup in it and I argued with the salesman for 5 minutes to prove to him it was messed up. He finally agreed and was going to "take it to the back" when he got a phone call. He walked away and on his way to the desk put the guitar right back on a stand.

Before I knew all this, I had bought three guitars there. One was OK, the other two developed problems later. I never will again buy a guitar or amp from GC again. Just remember...factory seconds. That's how they get the low prices they do.
Quote by fretboarddragon
Thank God I'm not the only one that sees this!!! I've visited three different GC's...two in my area and one in another state, and none of the staff were all that smart. Actually most of the time someone from another department was trying to help me - "Oh, I'm actually from drums" or "I'm from pro sound." Well, where's the guitar people? "Oh, he's on break," or "he's at lunch."

But the main reason I don't buy major gear at GC can be summed up in two words: Factory Seconds. Almost everything in their stores are factory seconds in some way: a small cosmetic blemish or a minor interior flaw somewhere. I tried a Yamaha Pacifica once that had a faulty pickup in it and I argued with the salesman for 5 minutes to prove to him it was messed up. He finally agreed and was going to "take it to the back" when he got a phone call. He walked away and on his way to the desk put the guitar right back on a stand.

Before I knew all this, I had bought three guitars there. One was OK, the other two developed problems later. I never will again buy a guitar or amp from GC again. Just remember...factory seconds. That's how they get the low prices they do.

YAY!! Someone else noticed too!!!~ I always say, cheap shiny things aren't as shiny in the long run =D Thats why i only buy picks when i EVER go to Guitar Center (gotta say its cheap maybe a cable or two there but nothing else hehe).
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
did you talk to any other employee or just the one? maybe he is new and just learning.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
I've been to Guitar Centers that are good (specifically ones in Denver and Vancouver), but our local one is HORRIBLE. Within a minute of walking into the store EVERY single employee has tried to "capture" you, sometimes several times! They don't seem to care what you are interested in buying, they only care about what they've been told to sell (usually their own "exclusives"). I usually hightail it out of there seconds before I grab one of the pencil necks and start twirling him like a helicopter over my head. It has turned me off from GCs completely. I'd rather pay less elsewhere.
I dont even have a GC within 5 hours of my home, you guys should feel lucky. Since its so far away, i have only been there once, and it seemed ok, besides all of the trems on their guitars being tilted up in the air, and the action problem most of their guitars had, and well, just some other stuff....

It seemed like all of their employees were under 20 too, maybe i just went there on a bad day.
They don't get those great prices from selling factory seconds,they get great pricing because of volume. GC has a lot of decent stuff in there stores but don't expect to deal with knowledgeable sales staff. If you know what you want you can get a decent price there.There isn't enough factory seconds to stock all the gc's.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
I know what you guys mean about some poorly set up guitars, I don't know about the factory seconds though...

Usually, if you're there long enough trying stuff out, and you decide to buy, you can usually talk them into setting it up for you better before you leave, if you cannot, and the few times I've taken it home and found a slight problem with the action or the neck or whatever, they would fix it or I could just return the guitar. The main reason I like GC is because they will usually break their back for you to make a sale.
-D
This is a clever, witty signature. Rofl at my glory.
Quote by Awaken
guitar center, or centre as we spell it here, sounds like the wal-mart of guitar shops

ya.. it is the wal-mart of guitar shops.. not saying that's bad because i like the people that work at mine mostly because im friends with the manager and i get a 20% discount on anything in the store
Yeah, I'm not really a big fan of guitar center, They're much more pushy with sales and stuff you don't really want. But also don't forget that a lot of guys workin there are more salesman than guitarists, or maybe they work in the pro audi (aka hip hop) section.
I've never had a problem with the employees at one of the Guitar Center's near me. There's two in that town and I usually go to one. They're literally ten minutes away from each other.

Usually the employees just do the usual "Can I help you? Anything you're looking for?" when you walk in, and will leave you alone if you decline. Most of them seem to know their brands too.
2008 Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster
2010 Fender Classic Players Jazzmaster
2010 Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster
Peavey 80w Bandit
I have a feeling you just made this up, like 99% of the other "Guitar Center Sucks" stories that people tell.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
I have quite a few music stores near me. GC is the worst out of all of em but it's not because the employees are stupid, they just aren't that friendly, plus the prices are usually lower at the other places.
Feed your mind.
Wow.. The guitar center by me (bout a 15 minute drive) seems to be REALLY good.. now im no guitar guru or anything, but they seem fairly well informed on the instruments in there work section, guitars, bass, whatever, and music in general.. and they are extremely friendly.. i know a few guys there by name and such and they are always willing to help me with deals and if im lookin for stuff.. ive never had a problem with anything ive bought there either.. im not necessarily defending GC.. just the one by me 8/
Pretty much anything you buy from guitar center is already used. I'll only buy things sealed in boxes from them. However, I use them to try out guitars and amps... then I'll go buy from my usual music store (or have them get it in).
Samick SPG650FF SBS Electric
Washburn D34 Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 212
Boss ME-50
the people at my local GC are very knowledgeable and friendly
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Jeez, I feel bad for all you guys. The Guitar Center in my area is awesome. The staff is knowledgeable and doesn't pressure you extending your budget. Plus when I bought my Peavey, it was a floor model clearance for $450 but when the guy was ringing me up, he took off an extra $50 cause they were having a sale. He had no need to, I was already paying half the cost of a new one but he was just being cool.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
i hate guitar center. its filled with all those post punk screamo kids with all those tight white and bright green shirts with tight ripped jeans. i just go to local guitar shops for strings and accessories but if i need to make a major purchase (new) it is at guitar center. otherwise its at local shops. two of my favorites is charlies in dallas and ray hennings heart o music in austin (both SRV frequent stops)
Quote by Joey Walker
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps

Quote by Shib
The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
I feel real bad for all you guys who have problems there, I go in my local guitar center every weekend, and i now know half the damn staff on a first name basis, so i get all kinds of deals everytime im in there. Hell, the sales manager told me that hes going to give me half off a 6505 when i get the money because I found several guitars that were seriously ****ed up and helped him fix them. So yeah, my guitar center is freakin awesome.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by modernp
They don't get those great prices from selling factory seconds,they get great pricing because of volume. GC has a lot of decent stuff in there stores but don't expect to deal with knowledgeable sales staff. If you know what you want you can get a decent price there.There isn't enough factory seconds to stock all the gc's.

Thank you... there's no conspiracy. The reason that many of the guitars that people play there have minor problems is that they're floor models- they don't want to have to open up a new guitar every time someone buys one, so they just have one guitar that gets played by 20 people a day, many of whom are n00bs and/ or don't care about the guitar, so they don't bother treating it with care.

The reason their prices are so good is as you said, the fact that they buy in bulk.
the gc close to me isnt bad however once i was buying strap loks and i knew that once in a while the hole would need to be drilled out of filled a little and i asked if the salesmen would install them for me to be cautious and he said nah man all you do is screw them in so i put them back walked out and drove to a nearby non chain store and talked the price down and even talked the guy away from the 10$ installation fee
Gear:
Jackson JS30 with emg 81/85 (bridge/neck)
Epiphone SG Special
Esteban Acoustic (won in a bet lol)
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Marshall AVT20
Quote by Metallicaxp
Remember to do your Daily Jerk, Never forget!
i love guitar center, they actually have good prices, and the service near me is good...one guy likes to try to get me to buy the most expensive stuff, but very helpful otherwise and everyone knows their stuff.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
On a trip to America, I went into the GC in Boston, and they were spot on with me; very helpful, knew what I was looking for, and knocked some cash off the total, just because I bought a lot.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
Almost every employee at my local GC that specializes in guitars recommends Spiders to anyone in the market for an amp with an OD channel. Then the Marshall MG series. Then crap Crate solid states. Hell, I knew more about the amps he was recommending then he did. Sometimes I get lucky and get a half decent salesmen that knows what he's talking about, and isn't circling you pretending to be doing something else when you try out any piece of equipment.

It all depends on the salesmen the way I see it. Sometimes you get somebody helpful, other times you get a complete idiot.
Quote by SeeMeNoMore
Ya for some reason I went the other day and while the workers were pretty cool the people there were absolute tool bags. I couldn't hear myself think over the emo crap and showoff kids.

In the two times I've been to a GC, that was my experience. The store was impressive, but I was so annoyed by all the Emo kids and wanna-be shred heads, joining together in one loud, clusterf*ck of horrid guitar playing that I really have no desire to go back.

I would also have a hard time buying a wall hanger from GC. The idiot 'shoppers' were just grabbing guitars off the wall left and right and plugging them in as they please. Its hard to tell just what kind of abuse those new guitars have seen.
I would really like a GC near me. Not for buying, for trying stuff out. You Americans don't know how easy most of you have it.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
I went to guitar center once and asked if I could try out a whammy pedal and all the gave me was a guitar that was missing the high E string, a chord, the pedal, and headphones. No amp or anything. I couldn't here myself over all the posers playing the most over-rated songs on high volumes. The other music store by my house has a separate room for trying out stuff and better service. But I went to guitar center a couple weeks ago to try out an Epiphone SG (the other store doesn't carry Gibson products) and the service was a lot better.
Next Year there will offically be a guitar center connected to a walmart where i live. =\ Freaking Noob Land. I can already hear 10 year olds playing open strings on a gibson sg running through a 100 watt MG.
man i hate guitar center with a passion. i only go there when i need too. the guitar center i go to is here in utah, and the people are not friendly, they always get pissed off when you ask for help, and they aren't even helpful. i asked if they made a jackson model left handed and they said, we'll call you and tell you. i never got a call back. its happened like that many times before. local shops are the best man, because the people who work there actually love there job.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by valennic
I feel real bad for all you guys who have problems there, I go in my local guitar center every weekend, and i now know half the damn staff on a first name basis, so i get all kinds of deals everytime im in there. Hell, the sales manager told me that hes going to give me half off a 6505 when i get the money because I found several guitars that were seriously ****ed up and helped him fix them. So yeah, my guitar center is freakin awesome.

i wish i had one like you bro. i know some of them are good, but the one here is just absolutely horrible. i get deals like you at this little small shop called music village, and get discounts on pedals, guitars, and i know this one guy there really well and i just walk in, tell him what i wanna try, and he plugs me into the satch haha. i always play that thing so he knows what amp i want.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Page 1 of 2