Pop
1 1%
House, Electro, Trance, Techno
5 5%
Blues
12 11%
Voters: 109.
Page 1 of 2
So what genre do you think is our classical music? What kind of new music do you think the likes of beethoven, bach, vivaldi etc would have liked?

I believe the greats would have appreciated *some* house music.
Rig:

Gibson ES-335
Peavy Classic 30
Last edited by bluesmaster at May 4, 2008,

Rock 1
Metal (and variations of it) 1
Jazz 1
Pop 1
House, Electro, Trance, Techno 1

EDIT: Well I found that funny
sup?
Uh, none of those genres are classical music.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
"Classical" works on an era-to-era basis like the thread starter says. "Classical" to our generation and generations within distance of us means orchestrated music. It's orchestrated music. When it came out they didn't say "oh this is classical music." Just like in 70 years from now people will think Radiohead is classical music, right now they're just plain "weird but cool alternative." To get back to the topic, I believe Jazz would fit the description of Classical out of everything you listed. Back in the day, schools primarily taught "classical", aka orchestrated music. Today most credible schools (in my opinion) sway to the direction of Jazz teachings as the fundamental style. Orchestrated was taught primarily back in the day, now they are 'classical music.' Since our era teaches Jazz primarily now, it will probably take the natural course of becoming "classical music" one day in time.

The drunk teachings of a guy who signed up in '03

EDIT: 3 hours after new years, I was practically '02!!
'never a victim,' the role model said,
bang-bang, the bad guy is dead,
always a rockstar on eMpty TV,
the lesson complete, now the child has needs.
probably metal since it's the closest thing to classical. at least good metal is...
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
Classical composers would have most likely hated and shunned every single genre you mentioned if they were somehow brought back to life and were introduced to modern music. All of it would be too different and barbaric to their musical ideologies.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by clay pots
probably metal since it's the closest thing to classical. at least good metal is...

Not really.

Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Definitely metal, Classical music is instrumental in essence, it needs no lyrics and its variation and complexity makes up for that, metal is like the only genre that, I anyways, think can be listened to with out lyrics. Especially the really neo-classical progg stuff thats out there, DT, symphony x, etc. etc.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
well, jazz it is a strong possibility. Although you gota remember before it became a college boy genre. Jazz used to be the punk of its day as in no one wanted to hear it, and the people who played it were a big thuggish. But then it somehow turned into an elitist genre.

But the way shred music is played, is something similar to classical. In that it is very rigimiented routine to practice and is usually strongly instrumental. Also you guys will flame me for this but metal is a relatively simple genre. So is anything blues/rock based. In comparision to jazz its easy (im not a jazz snob btw). But i can play metal and realtively well, but you trying doing some of the chord progressions my teacher does (hes a jazz fusion/funk man) at the speed he does. And you will agree metal is "easy". Also jazz is theorectically much more complex. Metal is more of becoming and athlete

But there again pop is similar to classical in that its immensle popular. But i cant see it lasting.

So my vote is on jazz
Last edited by Varkunus at May 4, 2008,
i might actually vote for dance and stuff, cause it could turn it will be the new classical because its the most "original" due to the fact it sounds different to other music, and produced in a different way eg sampling
What?

People still write classical music, you know?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by FrenchyFungus
What?

People still write classical music, you know?

Yeah, but it's not actually known as 'Classical'. That was only a certain period; around 1700.

Now it's known as Contemporary classical.
Quote by DZCunuck
Definitely metal, Classical music is instrumental in essence, it needs no lyrics and its variation and complexity makes up for that, metal is like the only genre that, I anyways, think can be listened to with out lyrics. Especially the really neo-classical progg stuff thats out there, DT, symphony x, etc. etc.

Classical music has plenty of vocal works. Operas, masses, cantatas, oratorios, etc. There's nothing in instrumental classical music that "makes up" for the absence of voice. Voice in classical music is treated as another instrument in classical works. Many metal music gets influences from classical, but these borrowed elements are usually the most superficial and novice. There are no significant similarities.

Quote by Varkunus

So my vote is on jazz

You talked about the culture surrounding jazz, but fail to analyze the actual music. Jazz, in essence, is the antithesis of classical music. Classical music is a written and prepared tradition while jazz is an improvised tradition. Most classical composers would have thought that it's insane to improvise most of the music. However, baroque and bebop share a few strands of similarities. For one, the ensembles are both usually of smaller size. The scalar language used in revolving around the chords are very similar.

Quote by korinaflyingv
None of the above, except maybe a bit of Jazz. I reckon Wagner would like the more epic side of metal a bit too. Most of them would probably choose modern classical".

Most classical musicians would probably even dislike modern classical. Any wide period gap will be difficult for them to appreciate. The likes of Mozart and Rossini would probably find the likes of Prokofiev absurd.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at May 4, 2008,
Quote by pbiggie
Hopefully funk

Why would Beethoven possibly enjoy funk?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

Who doesn't enjoy funk
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by duncang
Not really.

If you remove the distortion and possible growls you'll come quite close..
You like it
Quote by Xiaoxi

Perhaps because someone with the musical genius of Beethoven would have a wide musical taste.

But seriously, this pure speculation, with people just listing their favourite genres. We don't know what they'd like if they were alive today because musical taste is subjective, you can't guess it. If Mozart, Bach and Beethoven were alive today, they'd all like different composers and bands than each other.
I think the classical composers would have enjoyed many metal bands, especially the more progressive and neo-classical metal bands, since that is closer to their tastes. I doubt that they'd be fond of the vocal work, but they would definitely be able to respect and probably enjoy the instrumental work by Children of Bodom, Opeth, Symphony X, Arch Enemy, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by linus.d

No you won't.

Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
I think he means 'Symphonic' Metal.

Yup. That's the exact same, having random synthy strings chucked on top of it doesn't make it any more like classical
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by duncang
No you won't.

Yup. That's the exact same, having random synthy strings chucked on top of it doesn't make it any more like classical

I guess not.

Classical > Symphonic Metal
Quote by SmarterChild
Perhaps because someone with the musical genius of Beethoven would have a wide musical taste.

How is musical ingenuity related to a wide taste in music? Keep in mind that Beethoven's idea of being liberal with musical direction was to personalize classical music more.

Quote by freddaahh
I think the classical composers would have enjoyed many metal bands, especially the more progressive and neo-classical metal bands, since that is closer to their tastes. I doubt that they'd be fond of the vocal work, but they would definitely be able to respect and probably enjoy the instrumental work by Children of Bodom, Opeth, Symphony X, Arch Enemy, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest.

Composers respect masterful orchestration and voicing management more than anything else, so other than a few Symphony X songs, probably find the others bland. I'm almost certain that, no, they don't care how many notes John Petrucci can play in a second.

Quote by linus.d

Could this claim be any more wrong and unfounded? Oh, yes I know how. You could say that because Yngwie uses the harmonic minor scale, he's about as classical as you can get.

Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
I think he means 'Symphonic' Metal.

Yes, classical music often use symphonic ensembles as the main media feature. However, a symphonic ensemble doesn't inherently create classical music. Classical music is a very distinct musical language and culture, just like every other music genre.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at May 4, 2008,
Quote by bluesmaster
What kind of new music do you think the likes of beethoven, bach, vivaldi etc would have liked?
None of it.

Maybe artists like Philip Glass...and that's a big maybe.
Quote by TempoTantrum
"Classical" works on an era-to-era basis like the thread starter says. "Classical" to our generation and generations within distance of us means orchestrated music. It's orchestrated music. When it came out they didn't say "oh this is classical music." Just like in 70 years from now people will think Radiohead is classical music, right now they're just plain "weird but cool alternative." To get back to the topic, I believe Jazz would fit the description of Classical out of everything you listed. Back in the day, schools primarily taught "classical", aka orchestrated music. Today most credible schools (in my opinion) sway to the direction of Jazz teachings as the fundamental style. Orchestrated was taught primarily back in the day, now they are 'classical music.' Since our era teaches Jazz primarily now, it will probably take the natural course of becoming "classical music" one day in time.

The drunk teachings of a guy who signed up in '03

EDIT: 3 hours after new years, I was practically '02!!

I believe that his poorly worded prompt was "what kind of modern music would the likes of Bach/Beethoven/Mozart enjoy?" and not "what music is most like classical?"

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by DZCunuck

Woah.... this sounds like the stupidest post I have ever read on UG. Seriously. I don't know what to say. You think that metal is close in complexity and variation to classical? Are you just a metal head or what? Out of that list, jazz all the way.
Quote by Adam_G
Woah.... this sounds like the stupidest post I have ever read on UG. Seriously. I don't know what to say. You think that metal is close in complexity and variation to classical? Are you just a metal head or what? Out of that list, jazz all the way.
I also think that was a pretty damn stupid post.
Oh ok, haha. Misunderstanding. I thought you of all people would disagree with metal being compared to classical
world music ala' Mike Oldfield.

I would argue that thats the type of music with the most 'classical' mindset.

i.e. using any musical style or instument to achieve what they think the music should be like.
Quote by Varkunus
well, jazz it is a strong possibility. Although you gota remember before it became a college boy genre. Jazz used to be the punk of its day as in no one wanted to hear it, and the people who played it were a big thuggish. But then it somehow turned into an elitist genre.

But the way shred music is played, is something similar to classical. In that it is very rigimiented routine to practice and is usually strongly instrumental. Also you guys will flame me for this but metal is a relatively simple genre. So is anything blues/rock based. In comparision to jazz its easy (im not a jazz snob btw). But i can play metal and realtively well, but you trying doing some of the chord progressions my teacher does (hes a jazz fusion/funk man) at the speed he does. And you will agree metal is "easy". Also jazz is theorectically much more complex. Metal is more of becoming and athlete

But there again pop is similar to classical in that its immensle popular. But i cant see it lasting.

So my vote is on jazz

Cynic, granted it's Jazz influenced.

Don't tell me those licks aren't hard.
Quote by Kensai
But they have to be sarcastic or something... or just messing around.

Surely people this dumb must've failed to breathe a long time ago.
Page 1 of 2