Something I've been writing, kind of symphonicish proggy metal. Just seeing if people think it's any good or not. All criticisms and suggestions welcome.

Crit for crit if you want.

EDIT: Added a bit more seemfonuks to make it sound darker
Attachments:
Faith Of The Dog.zip
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at May 4, 2008,
Hey.

I'm really digging this song aye. I absolutely love when the first chorus comes in ( Bar 41 )

Also, that lead bit sounds pretty slick.

Seems like it'd be pretty hard to play though :L.

all in all good job though, i really enjoyed it.
-J
lol thanks man. Yeah some bits would be hard to learn but it'll be all good if I practice it enough I think. Tell me if ya want me to crit anything you've done.

Anyone else?
Critting as I'm listening.

Intro was amazing, it really gives off a dark atmosphere. Too bad that atmosphere is kinda lost in the rest of the song. But for the intro itself, the instruments were perfect. It served as a really cool build up.

The transition after that was a *little* bit abrupt. Not so much, as it started going into blast beats suddenly and I was really drowned in that. I was expecting a build up, but hey, what you've got there works! The guitar there was barely audible, but it wasn't like they were playing anything fancy anyway, the choirs made up for it, too.

Loved the part at 41. The guitar was more audible here, but only slightly. However, it's still great. Measure 54 onward was kinda abrupt to me with the sudden tempo change. Idk, maybe that's just me not used to hearing stuff like this. The leads there was nice, but was it really necessary to repeat it? I think just playing it once and just go to 70 right away would've been better, but that's just my personal preference.

Measure 90 and onward was really great stuff. Everything there was perfect, really made me wanna mosh . I wished it was longer, though. You could've put some more leads there, as I found it going back to the previous riff too fast.

The solo was cool, a fitting solo there. A bit thrash-ey at that, and it sounded great, though nothing overly stunning. Might I add that it served as a great climax for the song. After that the song just repeated itself, nothing wrong there. The ending was cool, giving off the feeling that it's done, but leaving something for more .

Overall, great song, though I'm wondering why did you drop the mood that has been built in the intro? I think the song would sound better with that. You could use the strings to achieve that effect. Which leads to my second complaint; you used the strings too sparingly . More usage of it imo could improve this song a whole lot, and you only used it for the high notes, even though when used to play lower notes, the strings would create a really cool atmosphere. But idk, if you do that, this will be more of a symphonic metal song, which might not be what you want.

Well, that's it for the crit, really a nice song, though not my kind of style . A solid 8/10 from me.

You could crit mine if you'd like to. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842733
Thanks heaps for the crit dude.

I didn't really think much about continuing that mood at the start there, I might try and add a few sections still in that mood, thanks for the idea. Do you think it would be better adding new sections, or adding more strings and orchestral parts to bits I already have?

Yeah it was necessary to repeat the thing since otherwise it'd only have 2 lines, I think that bit would sound a lot better with vocals. I get what you mean though, I'd agree with ya if it was just an instrumental bit.

Thanks for the crit, I'll crit yours soon.

EDIT: Sorry about the guitars being barely audible, I don't think much about things like that when it's just Guitar Pro.
I love the intro, it sounds perfect for the song. The synth adds to it also. Next part was WAYYYYY to random. Then the next part is nice. The lead at 53 is great. 62-70 has a nice lead too. Then the next part sounds awesome. Nice use of time sigs at the next part (104-107). I still love that lead. Is this the chorus? Sounds like it kinda. HOLY **** SOLO! ****ING HARD, lolz. Fits the song well. the guitar at 132 sounds cool. The next part repeats itself over and over and gets boring quickly, I actually skipped it, lol. Damn, everytime I hear the part I love it more. Its, so perfect. The next part is great too. Ending was a little random but not THAT bad.

crit mine?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=851615
Thanks heaps man

I'll think about replacing the bit you said was repeditive and maybe make a new ending, thanks for the crit. I'll crit yours in a moment.
Thx for the crit on mine, m8 . And no, it's *not* alright to say harsh comments like that to me, now I'll have to burn your house and molest your family/dog/cat/pet/whatever, all the while doing a barrel roll and whistling I Cum Blood (how the hell do you whistle that?) . Lol, no man, it's fine, that's why it's constructive criticism, things like that aren't harsh, it'd just make me get better (I hope, lol) . Truth be told, I'd rather have long constructive crits like that then, say, a truckload of praise .

Quote by whalepudding
I didn't really think much about continuing that mood at the start there, I might try and add a few sections still in that mood, thanks for the idea. Do you think it would be better adding new sections, or adding more strings and orchestral parts to bits I already have?

Well, that's for you to decide. Only you yourself can answer that question. Think about it; do you want this to be a symphonic metal piece, or a prog metal piece, or a death metal piece, or whatever (yeah, labeling genre is bad, I know, but in this case it's only as pointers). If you chose the former, then do add more strings and whatnot, but if you don't want the thing to be symphonic metal, then add a new section . It's for you to decide what you want your song to sound like, and what sounds good or not. If it were my piece, I'd do BOTH, but that's only because I like symphonic and power metal, but it's not up to me, now, is it ?

Yeah it was necessary to repeat the thing since otherwise it'd only have 2 lines, I think that bit would sound a lot better with vocals. I get what you mean though, I'd agree with ya if it was just an instrumental bit.

Ah, so that bit would have vocals? Then I reckon it would be acceptable, then .
Well, it's not really progressive. But it is damned good. lol

Can you play this? What you said earlier ("Yeah some bits would be hard to learn but it'll be all good if I practice it enough I think. ") makes it seem like you can't... Which makes one question how legit this song is.. But I'm gonna trust you since I write without my guitar a lot, which sometimes leads to me writing what I think I can play but then I try to and it's sort of challenging. lol

I really like the intro. The atmosphere is nice.
The transition into the song is great. I hardly caught it, but it was super nice when I realized what had just happened.
41-45 was awesome. I really liked the synth part there.
62-69, I can't hear the strings, and can hardly hear the harp.
I love the riff at 95.
The synth at 103-109 is awesome sounding.
110-117, can't hear strings again.
From there, it's all stuff we've heard before..
I'm not sure why you wrote 174 that way, but okay... The ending is very abrupt though... Instead of fading it, you might just want to cut it off after 175 ends. Might be a better way since it's so abrupt.

Once again, not really proggy. And it repeats itself a LOT. Vocals would no doubt help this.. But still, it may repeat too much even with vocals.
Good job though. 7/10 =)
Care to listen to mine? It's the bottom link in my sig.