Im 16 and want to buy a guitar but i live at least thirty minutes away from any music store and the closest one i pretty small. Is taking a chance and buying off the internet a bad thing?
well I can vouch that my first Instrument Purchase through musicians Friend came quite quickly and was free to ship and came in perfect condition. and am quite happy with my purchase.. the only downside to musicians friend I see is they never gave me a Total with Tax for some reason.. they gave it to me maybe in an email AFTER they charged me.. and I was quite surprised to read off Total 299.99 and check my bank for a 315.00 dollar withdrawal. otherwise.. the shipping and service was nicely handled..

..if I may Add.. I expected Tax.. its just.. didn't know the exact amount tax would be..
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
Last edited by TheHentaiNazi at May 4, 2008,
If you aren't spending much, then buying off the internet is alright, but if you're going to be spending anything above about £350 then I'd recommend going and trying out various different guitars.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
go to a guitar store, try the guitar you want, then go on a site...then buy the exact model you want and their shouldn't be any problems.
If you like Blues/Rock then add me as a friend. I need to talk to some Blues/Rock Musicians and need reccomendations.
For amps and accessories this won't be a problem. But guitars vary from guitar to guitar, some are set up poorly while others are fine. Be wary.
Quote by Rounder01
go to a guitar store, try the guitar you want, then go on a site...then buy the exact model you want and their shouldn't be any problems.

did you even read the post? he's 16, and he lives 30 min from a small shop. he's implying that he really can't go to a store and try one out..

anyway, is it that you don't know if it's safe to, or you don't know if you will like what you will get?

well first of all, it's definitely safe, just stick with the big named sites like musiciansfriend.

and second of all, there are many things you can do to help ensure that you will like the guitar. read the reviews, make sure you are 100% happy with the guitar's color, ask around the UG forum, and you can also youtube the guitar to watch demos. i've bought gear online that i have never seen or heard before and have always been satisfied.

if you are confident in the guitar you want, i'd say go for it. you probably won't be disappointed.