Ok so I have just started focusing the the harmonic minor scale after getting bored with the natural minor scale. I have heard it used alot in metal songs play really quickly. My question is what are some songs that use that scale but are slow and melodic, i just want some ideas for phrasing. Key doesnt matter. Thanks in advance.
Malmsteen uses Harmonic Minors alot. Alot of Classical music too. Like Bach. All a Harmonic Minor scale is a Minor Scale with a raised 7th. Just check any of there stuff.
As with any scale or mode, you want to focus around the distinctive feature(s) that define the given melodic/harmonic element - in this case it is that raised 7th.

You will generally find this kind of stuff happening in H. minor:

--------------
--------------
-----1-2-1----
-2-3-------3-2
--------------
--------------

The rest of the scale doesn't really differ from natural minor, so a melody should pass through those notes. Focus on resolving the dissonant raised 7th into the octave as in the above example. That gives the listener a sense of completion.

Something you will discover also is that diminished arpeggios fit nicely into harmonic minor, and the entire neck can be run like this:

---------------------7-10
-----------------6-9-----
-------------4-7---------
---------3-6-------------
-----2-5-----------------
-1-4---------------------

Or alternately:

10-7-----13-10
-----9---------12
-------10--------13
---------------
---------------
---------------

(and so on, every fourth fret...)

The diminished arpeggio lacks melodic direction, which can give your solo an "aimless" or "wandering" sound, so that's something to keep in mind. That "lack of completion" can act in contrast to the more structured and balanced melodies you work in.

Generally when comping in harmonic minor I will toy around with the melodic part and come in and out of the aimless bits. At times, just for fun, I try and completely avoid playing anything pleasant. It's funny how people think this is sheer genius when it's a simple matter of avoiding consonance.

Alternately you can move into Whole Tone scale or chromatics as well. Those are great for tapping, too.

Harmonic minor is a great scale to use as a jumping off point to pretty much anywhere. Because of the chromatics and the natural dissonance that's a part of the scale, you can literally do anything and it will sound "correct" if you are slick about it.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Last edited by Bubonic Chronic at May 6, 2008,
And don't forget minor pentatonic.

Some blues licks never hurt anyone.

Quote by :-D
Necrophagist's solos feature heavy use of harmonic minor, and there are some slower sections in most of them.

I downloaded fermented offal discharge because I've heard of it on this forum before, and woooooah that guitar solo is so bad ass.
I finally grabbed a guitar and edited the above lesson (oops!)

Turns out it didn't sound bad, it just wasn't theoretically correct.

Quote by blueriver
I downloaded fermented offal discharge because I've heard of it on this forum before, and woooooah that guitar solo is so bad ass.

If you like that, two other recommendations are "Advanced Corpse Tumor" and "Symbiotic in Theory". The opening lack to the solo of SiT had me shitting bricks.
Django Reinhardt's Minor Swing is in harmonic minor, and it's relatively simple compared to the neoclassical artists listed here. He was from the 1930's and had only two fretting fingers, so it's significantly less of an achievement if you're used to Malmsteen-esque compositions, yet using more modern technique with the Minor Swing chord progression would have a great effect, also it can be used alternatively as a blues progression, so fondle about with it.
If you like that, two other recommendations are "Advanced Corpse Tumor" and "Symbiotic in Theory". The opening lack to the solo of SiT had me shitting bricks.

F*** yeah, Symbotic is definatley my favourite Necrophagist solo, has a bit of everything in there, cool slow-fast contrasts at the start, then sweeping with a funky beat, then gets back to a half-blast and some sweep-tapping action, absolute genious.
Downloading symbiotic in theory right now. Hell i may just purchase a cd later on tonight.
Quote by blueriver
Downloading symbiotic in theory right now. Hell i may just purchase a cd later on tonight.

mhm, well worth buying, I'd suggest 'Epitaph' tbh, personal preferance, they only have 2 albums anyway, so buying their discography wouldn't break the bank anyway
Quote by \m/Gaz
mhm, well worth buying, I'd suggest 'Epitaph' tbh, personal preferance, they only have 2 albums anyway, so buying their discography wouldn't break the bank anyway

Yep, both albums are great, and I love the artwork on the cover of OoP. So buy that as well and stare at it while listening to Epitaph.
Yep, both albums are great, and I love the artwork on the cover of OoP. So buy that as well and stare at it while listening to Epitaph.

sounds like a plan haha
Harmonic minor can be made to take on the characteristics of different cultural styles: Egyptian, Middle Eastern, Greek, Jewish and so on.

Edit: SPANISH!! (who can forget Spanish? lol)

Listening strictly to metal/neo-classical will focus on a dark European kind of a sound, which doesn't really bring out the full spectrum of sounds one can achieve with the scale.

Think how different Greek and Jewish music are!

It sounds egyptian to me when i play it, probably the chords im playing over and my phrasing though.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Harmonic minor can be made to take on the characteristics of different cultural styles: Egyptian, Middle Eastern, Greek, Jewish and so on.

Edit: SPANISH!! (who can forget Spanish? lol)

Listening strictly to metal/neo-classical will focus on a dark European kind of a sound, which doesn't really bring out the full spectrum of sounds one can achieve with the scale.

Think how different Greek and Jewish music are!

Indeed, my favourite thing about the scale

I really need to learn how to use this scale well too, I'm really crappy with it.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
I can only make it sound European and a little bit Egyptian too. It's definitely my favorite scale.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!