ok i've been playing for over a year and i've wrote some tunes and some lyrics but i can't get the two to go together. I cant write lyrics to a tune and vice versa can someone give me some tips on how to do this please
emmmmmm
i have the same problem
but if you try to write the songs to the tune and make it rhyme with the tune then that helps a little bit
hope that helps
Quote by gothboy666
ok i've been playing for over a year and i've wrote some tunes and some lyrics but i can't get the two to go together. I cant write lyrics to a tune and vice versa can someone give me some tips on how to do this please

Try and sing your lyrics along with your melody line, if it works, great you've done it, if not, it'll probably only fail in cirtain areas so just try changing these bits to suit the tune.
Sometimes it just takes a bit of writing and re-writing before you start getting a result.

Although this is by no means compulsory, a general rule of thumb is to try and match the syllables of words to notes. So if you have a three note phrase in your song, a three syllable word like 'carnival' or 'anarchy' or any other three sylable word you can think of will fit the best there.
Buy a rhyming dictionary, very useful tool when songwriting.
ok that helps with some of the stuff i've wrote but alot of my stuff is heavy and fast and i keep tryin to match a sylable for every line of a verse but i play to fast to sing it fluidly how would you write lyrics for faster riffs??
If you don't have a clear melody to steal from, you could set your rhythm section to loop, and just lead over it in half and whole notes on the guitar (or maybe a keyboard if you're better with it). A melody might reveal itself.

You'll probably have to change it around to match up with the words here and there, but I find that when I've stumbled on a good lead melody, it tends to stick in my head and everything I do over that rhythm will start to sound like it.

If it's the actual words that you're having trouble with, maybe "anarchy carnival" will give you some ideas... It sounds like a good metal song!
thanks i'll try that
its not the words which are the problem its writing the riffs to sing them to and vice versa. i cant get the words and tunes to flow together
Quote by gothboy666
ok that helps with some of the stuff i've wrote but alot of my stuff is heavy and fast and i keep tryin to match a sylable for every line of a verse but i play to fast to sing it fluidly how would you write lyrics for faster riffs??

You know how you can play a beat and then double up on that beat, and even double up again until you get an increadibly fast beat, but you can still play the original slow beat along to the now much faster doubled up beat you have?
Well you can do exactly the same thing with lyrics.
You can have increadibly fast music but slow lyrics that fits the music perfectly, timing wise.
So lets say for every 8 beats of the bass drum you have just one sylable of your lyrics.
Even though your music would be incredably fast, you lyrics would still be sung slowly with plenty of room to breath.

For an example, listen to Motorhead's 'Over-Kill' which actualy has one sylable for every two beats of the bass drum, but it's the same principle.