What are the possible diseases or defects of a guitar, please describe them and tell how they can be prevented and/or cured?

Please don't post things like "problem: strings are rusty & the solution: replace 'em" and the like.

Thanks.
Last edited by domenic_665 at May 4, 2008,
If you're asking weather it can get a cold or hepatitis or some such thing, the answer is an obvious no. There are some other malady's that they can get though. Mold for one. Fungus spores can grow on any surface which they can cling to, including guitars. An overly humidified, or just purely damp environment is highly conducive to mold growth. Also, as with anything else touched by humans, they can carry germs, and transfer them from one person to another. So say you let your friend play your guitar. He has a cold. Sneezes into his hands, then goes right on playing your guitar. You get it back and play it too. A couple days later you have the same cold. Was it just from being around him or from handling the same guitar as him? My bet is on the guitar. Is the guitar diseased? No. It's just a contact surface that just so happened to transfer the germs from one person to another.
That what you were looking for?
I dunno if this is actually a guitar malady, but it is guitar related.

It's a condition known as Guitaritis-simplex A. It causes the sufferer to twitch uncontrolably around music shops and spend inordinate amounts of time on web forums. It also can affect the hearing of those around them during the earliest stages. Advanced sufferers see symptoms ranging from cold sweats to muscle twitches in the fingers when merely passing by a guitar. The only known cure is a healthy dose of tabs and pleanty of fluids.

erm, yeah. Like Dave said, it's pretty unclear what you're asking. If your guitar doesn't have any current problems, I woulden't worry too much. Just make sure to clean and oil it often
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Laryngitis. It's a bitch.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

I'm sorry you haven't gotten many intelligent answers, people are idiots and like to try to be funny at any opportunity.

Defects, yes there are many.

1) Warping/Bowing of neck:

This doozy occurs when the neck curves either forwards (a warped neck) or curves outwards (a bowed neck). Warping and Bowing are the result of fluctuation in temperature and humidity. Just don't keep your guitar near a radiator. If it does have a warped neck and it is a classical guitar, then you're most likely ****ed. But if it is not, and it has a truss rod then you are in luck! But don't go flashing that alan-key just anywhere, take it to a guitar-builder or music shop (preferably the former).

2) Dirty Fretboard:

Usually dust is attracted but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. The problem of an unclean fretboard arises only when you haven't been washing your hands!. This is a major problem. You must remember that the fretboard doesn't (99% of the time) have a finish to protect the wood, so that if you get sweat on it, it will stick. So take care of your fretboard, but not too much. Don't buy any lemon oils as they ruin it. All those products are ridiculous. Just clean it with a dry cloth every now and then and it will be fine.

3) Bad Intonation:

Occurs when the guitar is either **** or needs a new fretjob (lol I like that word) or has a warped or bowed neck.

4) Discolouration of neck and guitar finish:

Usually seen on strats, and guitars with maple necks, the neck and even the body will tend to age. Don't worry, this isn't a disease. In fact the guitar (you could say) is slowly shrinking into itself, as the wood is under constant pressure (or something like that)

5) Constantly snapping string(s):

Check out a few things with this problem:
i - If you're using the correct strings for the correct position on the guitar
ii - if you're putting the string in the right way (ball end in last ; should have little string length left after the bass [first two thickest] strings)
iii - if the strings are broken or not (just run your finger along the string)
iv - if your peg and tuners are in place and working well (if you don't know how to do this then ask the guy at your local guitar store.
v - well... if you've done all this and tried new strings then it's likely that your guitar is junk.
A ****ty owner.
Quote by Adam...?
I generally try to avoid being that guy, but I'm not going to lie to you, it's possible that I shit in a friend's dresser once.

Quote by Jackintehbox
Coke tastes like a can of smashed assholes, so yes there is a difference.

I am USUALLY the nicest one here.
Quote by sexonasandwedge
I'm sorry you haven't gotten many intelligent answers, people are idiots and like to try to be funny at any opportunity.

Defects, yes there are many.

1) Warping/Bowing of neck:

This doozy occurs when the neck curves either forwards (a warped neck) or curves outwards (a bowed neck). Warping and Bowing are the result of fluctuation in temperature and humidity. Just don't keep your guitar near a radiator. If it does have a warped neck and it is a classical guitar, then you're most likely ****ed. But if it is not, and it has a truss rod then you are in luck! But don't go flashing that alan-key just anywhere, take it to a guitar-builder or music shop (preferably the former).

2) Dirty Fretboard:

Usually dust is attracted but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. The problem of an unclean fretboard arises only when you haven't been washing your hands!. This is a major problem. You must remember that the fretboard doesn't (99% of the time) have a finish to protect the wood, so that if you get sweat on it, it will stick. So take care of your fretboard, but not too much. Don't buy any lemon oils as they ruin it. All those products are ridiculous. Just clean it with a dry cloth every now and then and it will be fine.

3) Bad Intonation:

Occurs when the guitar is either **** or needs a new fretjob (lol I like that word) or has a warped or bowed neck.

4) Discolouration of neck and guitar finish:

Usually seen on strats, and guitars with maple necks, the neck and even the body will tend to age. Don't worry, this isn't a disease. In fact the guitar (you could say) is slowly shrinking into itself, as the wood is under constant pressure (or something like that)

5) Constantly snapping string(s):

Check out a few things with this problem:
i - If you're using the correct strings for the correct position on the guitar
ii - if you're putting the string in the right way (ball end in last ; should have little string length left after the bass [first two thickest] strings)
iii - if the strings are broken or not (just run your finger along the string)
iv - if your peg and tuners are in place and working well (if you don't know how to do this then ask the guy at your local guitar store.
v - well... if you've done all this and tried new strings then it's likely that your guitar is junk.

Yeah, these are what I'm looking for! Thanks! Any other defects that you know???
Quote by sexonasandwedge

TS, try googling it or somthing. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with an acoustic, and I'm fairly certain all the information is readily available. Also, a month to reply?
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Lifting of the bridge (usually on 12 string guitars)

'Bellying' on the body (usually on old guitars)

Fretboard drying out

Worn frets
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.