Do your hands get any long term damage from boxing? (Sand bags)

Could it damage your hands in a way that could make it harder til play guitar?
Yes.

I quit boxing muay thai professionally because I'd rather play.

But as long as you just train, and take care of your hands, it shouldn't be a problem
take up taekwondo, you dont really ever have to punch, its all kicks And yes, there are many reasons that you'd impare your hand function through boxing that would dis-advantage you as a guitar player.
God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed.
Quote by WangmasterHizzl
take up taekwondo, you dont really ever have to punch, its all kicks And yes, there are many reasons that you'd impare your hand function through boxing that would dis-advantage you as a guitar player.

That's bollocks, I'm a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, you have to punch a lot. I've even ****ed up my right hand a bit from breaking boards, it hasn't impaired my playing in the least though.
'You can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'
Al Capone
Oh damn

Would I have to box a lot before I mess up my hands? Or would a hour a day also damage them?

Also, would it help to get same sport tape to protect them?

Quote by Våd Hamster
Yes.

I quit boxing muay thai professionally because I'd rather play.

But as long as you just train, and take care of your hands, it shouldn't be a problem

In which ways should I take care of my hands?
Last edited by Nugi at May 4, 2008,
Quote by Nugi
Oh damn

Would I have to box a lot before I mess up my hands? Or would a hour a day also damage them?

Also, would it help to get same sport tape to protect them?

That depends on how hard you hit really.

And sport tape won't help I'm afraid.

Problemet er at brusken og senerne I hånden bliver skadet af de hårde slag, og det kan give gigt på långere sigt (Og skader I fingrene på kortere)

Hope that helps (Couldn't word it good enough in english)

KURTEDIT

You can take care of them by using good boxing gloves, not hitting so hard on the bags, and using proper technique
Quote by Våd Hamster
That depends on how hard you hit really.

And sport tape won't help I'm afraid.

Problemet er at brusken og senerne I hånden bliver skadet af de hårde slag, og det kan give gigt på långere sigt (Og skader I fingrene på kortere)

Hope that helps (Couldn't word it good enough in english)

Øv Det jo seriøst..

I dont know how hard I hit:S I'm 15 so not that hard I guess..
Do you still box a little? Or have you totally stopped?

edit to våds edit:
Oh ok I will, can you recomended a good kind of glove? A good brand maybe?

And can you give me some advice on how I can get a good technic?

Sorry about all the questains..
Last edited by Nugi at May 4, 2008,
Quote by WangmasterHizzl

You are talking about WTF. Right?
In ITF you punch a lot.
I think that in boxing you can indeed hurt your hands pretty bad. Boxers are told to not pick street fights because they could break their hands.
I'd pick something else rather than Boxing.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Nugi
Øv Det jo seriøst..

I dont know how hard I hit:S I'm 15 so not that hard I guess..
Do you still box a little? Or have you totally stopped?

If your wrist/finger joints hurt after practice, you're hitting too hard or using the wrong technique.

And yeah I still box, just no serious matches anymore, that's too much strain on the knuckles

edit to våds edit:
Oh ok I will, can you recomended a good kind of glove? A good brand maybe?

And can you give me some advice on how I can get a good technic?

Sorry about all the questains..

Fairtex is what I use. They have served me well for long

I could, but I think you boxing teacher could do it better?
Last edited by Våd Hamster at May 4, 2008,
Quote by Våd Hamster
If your wrist/finger joints hurt after practice, you're hitting too hard or using the wrong technique.

And yeah I still box, just no serious matches anymore, that's too much strain on the knuckles

Thanks Våd (and everyone else)

Good thing a fellow dane could come to the rescue

My wrists dont hurt afterwards, I've gone to jujitsu so I can throw a decent punch (og jeg har ikke løse håndled )

I've going to go for it, but be carefull, and get some huge gloves!

edit:

Oh ok, I'll look for them

And I'm pretty sure punch probably..
My biggest problem with boxing + guitar playing was that I had to cut my fingernails (I had them pretty long on my right hand because I needed them long when I fingerpicked on my acoustic), because when I punch a bag with a closed fist, the fingernails would pierce right through my palm, and that **** hurts like ****.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard